Sign in to follow this  
JFW657

Buddy Dyer State of Downtown address at Ace Cafe

Hizzonner will deliver his State of Downtown address today at 3 pm at The Ace Cafe.

If you can't make it but want to watch it live, you can do so HERE (link).

• Like 3

Any new news come out of his remarks?  I attended the last 2-3 and there weren't any big announcements that I could recall 

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Any new news come out of his remarks?  I attended the last 2-3 and there weren't any big announcements that I could recall 

I haven't had time to watch, but here's the stream from Facebook 

Some key points that I found interesting:

Thomas Chatmon (head of DDB):

• Constitution Green will get a dog wash & lighting for 24/7 usage.
  • The city will work with a property owner to put in an "interactive pocket park at the intersection of Orange & Robinson. It's going to have high caliber multimedia components to it... be very interactive."
  • Magic Entertainment District will have a major hotel & convention center (to bolster 6-11pm pedestrian activity)
  • Housing in Parramore to include mixed-income apartments. CRA will develop single family homes in Parramore

Dominique Ryan (night manager):

• Safety: Nighttime economy committee (comprised of 28 groups which include bar owners, Condo/Management companies, OPD, city staff etc) "our relationship's right where it needs to be."

Doug Metzger (City Planning/ARB):

• Under I-4 Project: The 9.5-acre urban park is expected to feature a soccer fields, basketball courts, crossfit facilities, ping pong tables, a splash pad, a playground, urban skate park, outdoor classroom spaces, indoor community rooms & staging for food trucks. (Per the OBJ, the dog track was removed from the original plan and replaced with "community rooms that people can rent out".)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if the pocket park will be on the NE corner where the old gas station is or on the SW corner where the old bank vault used to be.

Probably the SW corner. Doesn't St. James Cathedral own the lot with the gas station? It would have been nice to see that building repurposed.

23 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Some key points that I found interesting:

1) Thanks for the summary.  2) Does this remind anyone else of the different advisers in SimCity? 

UJsFdH6.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1