I don't like it.  I think what would unify both sides of I-4 would be if there was retail on both sides of I-4 at Garland and Hughey.  As it stands now, there is just a row of institutional buildings along Hughey; no retail.  And Garland only has Buffalo's at Church St. and Ace Cafe just south of Livingston.  The only people that will use the "parks" under I-4 will be the homeless, I think, unless Church Street businesses and/or the Magic hold promotional events there during games and/or other event times.  Hughey and Garland are both access roads to and from I-4.  They are wasting our money.  Stick to parking.

You can't copy a Manhattan model when the density there is so great.  There is very little residential on the west side of I-4 within 2 blocks and very little office to generate walk traffic. 

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I don't like it.  I think what would unify both sides of I-4 would be if there was retail on both sides of I-4 at Garland and Hughey.  As it stands now, there is just a row of institutional buildings along Hughey; no retail.  And Garland only has Buffalo's at Church St. and Ace Cafe just south of Livingston.  The only people that will use the "parks" under I-4 will be the homeless, I think, unless Church Street businesses and/or the Magic hold promotional events there during games and/or other event times.  Hughey and Garland are both access roads to and from I-4.  They are wasting our money.  Stick to parking.

You can't copy a Manhattan model when the density there is so great.  There is very little residential on the west side of I-4 within 2 blocks and very little office to generate walk traffic. 

Yes but...  This provides some outdoors recreational space for UCF students, particularly before Creative Village green space is developed over the next few years. It could also be a catalyst for the underdeveloped blocks of Garland between Jefferson and Pine and will front the convention hotel and residential at the new Magic development. Something has to come first, and this is a way to introduce human-scale activity in a place thats traditionally been very hostile to humans. 

• Like 1

The park can work, but we do need retail on Hughey and Garland. One disappointing thing is that the "bridge district" only goes from Church to Washington. It should go up to Amelia. With the new height they have planned, I was hoping that the blocks under I-4  from Washington to Concord would become 2-level garages or some other use with retail at the ends facing the cross streets, kind of like in this picture:

8c56d50851fbd159051e4a066796680f.jpg.d8aa810d5fe9830a6f645b267ac8729f.jpg

Unfortunately, the Robinson, Livingston, and Amelia crossings will be retaining walls holding back dirt instead of a true viaduct that could be activated in the future. Not much different than the current situation.

• Like 2

^^

I read all of your comments.  The intent is noble, but I think it's an example of throwing good money after bad.  During game day, people flock to Amway from Church St and Pine St. and Central.  In doing so, they walk by panhandlers under I-4.  So, if there is no game day, what would be the motivation for someone to hang out under an expressway?  This is not the Brooklyn Bridge or Golden Gate Park or the base of the Golden Gate Bridge, or the under section of a major bridge in Manhattan.  The connotation here is that it is a place where the homeless typically sleep.  This is the underneath section of an expressway that is on the border of an economically depressed part of town.  No one in their right mind is going to hang out there and shoot hoops or bask in the shade while walking their dog, when the alternative is Lake Eola or Lake Lucerne or Lake Ivanhoe.  I just don't see it happening, especially when it's two border streets are access roads for an expressway with their ramps within just a few blocks of the edges of this space.

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that you can't encourage people to migrate west of I-4 when there isn't a good product west of I-4 already, by building a park under an expressway.  They need to build up the west side of I-4 first or simultaneously, otherwise, you'll be hanging out under a bridge (which is not desirable to begin with) to do your part for the good of local society to start a trend hoping that others follow to get more people to want to migrate west of I-4 into a neighborhood that they currently avoid like the plague.  It ain't happening.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that you can't encourage people to migrate west of I-4 when there isn't a good product west of I-4 already, by building a park under an expressway.  They need to build up the west side of I-4 first or simultaneously, otherwise, you'll be hanging out under a bridge (which is not desirable to begin with) to do your part for the good of local society to start a trend hoping that others follow to get more people to want to migrate west of I-4 into a neighborhood that they currently avoid like the plague.  It ain't happening.

I think that's exactly what they're doing with the Magic Entertainment Complex, upgrades to W. Central and W. Church and Creative Village. It's all meant to buffer and ease the transitions between neighborhoods. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2017 at 6:51 PM, metal93 said:

The park can work, but we do need retail on Hughey and Garland. One disappointing thing is that the "bridge district" only goes from Church to Washington. It should go up to Amelia. With the new height they have planned, I was hoping that the blocks under I-4  from Washington to Concord would become 2-level garages or some other use with retail at the ends facing the cross streets, kind of like in this picture:

8c56d50851fbd159051e4a066796680f.jpg.d8aa810d5fe9830a6f645b267ac8729f.jpg

Unfortunately, the Robinson, Livingston, and Amelia crossings will be retaining walls holding back dirt instead of a true viaduct that could be activated in the future. Not much different than the current situation.

this would have been fantastic! where is this at?

I think a large part of the success of this project will be determined by how welcome it feels.  The noise generated by the higher must be controlled.  The area must be very open as well to increase the sense of security.  A proper nice Lymmo bust station would also encourage those nearby to visit the park as Lymmo Lime and Grapefruit will travel around it.

With this, Church Street Plaza (Tremont), the Magic complex, Ace, and future projects, I may actually be excited for what the future holds for the "Bridge District."

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Currently in London and visited Borough Market. It is an example of what can be done with spaces underneath over passes or underneath elevated train lines. Not only    is space used wisely but it houses an open market. Every great city has a type of hip market place. Reading terminal in Philly, Borough Market in London, Italian Market in NYC, etc... Orlando can do the same with Under I...

• Like 1

Yeah I was impressed. Unfortunately vacation is over as of tonite and I'm flying back to Florida tomorrow morning. 

You know I was thinking that another good spot might be where the ballroom on church street is at the moment (on the Lincoln development). Then the market will have access to the Sunrail commuters as well as Magic and Orlando City fans. If only the east end market can be convinced to move there. Hey just a thought.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier

• 1 year later...