UCF News

spenser1058

PRESIDENT HITT TO RETIRE

http://orlando-rising.com/ucf-president-john-hitt-announces-retirement-plans/

From Orlando Rising

With UCF coming into its own on so many fronts, this is also going to be HUGE for Florida's largest university. What a time to live in central Florida.

Let's also take a moment to congratulate President Hitt for an amazing tenure. No one could have imagined how far he'd take the school in 26 years.

1 hour ago, Boomer136 said:

Now if they can just get the concert hall and theater built.... oh yeah. That'll have to wait until they rebuild the football stadium.

That's true enough but don't they come from different pots of money? I'm also intrigued by how Dr. Hitt's retirement will affect all this. Will the next president (I want to hear more about  Hitt's passive-aggressive swipe at Buddy) be willing to share more facilities with the City and conclude once and for all the bunker mentality that began with Dick Nunis' tenure leading the Board of Trustees? At the time, there was some validity in the move to vanquish the "commuter school" rep but that's now been taken care of.

Would UCF's arts students benefit from closer proximity to the community? Should an urban university continue to be separate from the city it's supposed to be a part of?  Is there an opportunity here to ponder a new model between town and gown? I hope that discussion takes place. As both a Knight and an Orlando native, I can see pros and cons from both sides and am totally open to the best path forward whatever that might be.

33 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

That's true enough but don't they come from different pots of money? I'm also intrigued by how Dr. Hitt's retirement will affect all this. Will the next president (I want to hear more about  Hitt's passive-aggressive swipe at Buddy) be willing to share more facilities with the City and conclude once and for all the bunker mentality that began with Dick Nunis' tenure leading the Board of Trustees? At the time, there was some validity in the move to vanquish the "commuter school" rep but that's now been taken care of.

Would UCF's arts students benefit from closer proximity to the community? Should an urban university continue to be separate from the city it's supposed to be a part of?  Is there an opportunity here to ponder a new model between town and gown? I hope that discussion takes place. As both a Knight and an Orlando native, I can see pros and cons from both sides and am totally open to the best path forward whatever that might be.

It of course is more complicated then that. I don't remember the details, but when the stadium was built, it was a rush to get it done because the city wasn't exactly playing nice with UCF being a tenant there, there was no desire for any accommodations for the team, and the renovation of the Citrus Bowl posed a bunch of problems for UCF, beyond where to play for a year... I don't remember exactly what they were, but I know some of it was financial (something like talk of raising the rent or collection of other revenue for all tenants to help fund it, including UCF, which would make it even more unprofitable to play there then it already was). When DPAC was being planned, I also remember UCF was asking for some space in there and wanted to use it, but there were break downs in that negotiation as well.

If the city gave Magic style incentives to UCF, they probably could have got their sports complex and arts complex downtown. UCF is clearly willing to work with others where it makes sense... see their medical school, the tennis complex, etc, which were both originally planned to be on the main campus but Tavistock made them offers that made it make sense for them to locate in that area. Hitt always prided himself on being a "partner" with everybody... the city just wasn't a good partner for them.

And yes, athletics, arts, and academics are all completely separate pots of money. Academics paid for the portion that was built, and my understanding is state funds cannot be used for the actual performing spaces, and UCF has not prioritized the private donations towards that.

In other news, the half upgraded baseball stadium that was kind of in a similiar state to the arts center is finally going to get the rest of the upgrade, with the groundbreaking occurring yesterday and construction starting next week.28857

• Like 2

The discussion about the break is an interesting point. Nowhere has it been definitively written that I'm aware of so far that explains exactly what happened. Compare that with an entire book being written about the Orlando Magic's birthing process.

I've talked with folks from Florida Citrus Sports who say the problem was UCF butting up stumps to go it on their own while it was mostly the Sentinel (especially Mike Bianchi, who as a columnist is all about stirring the pot) that insisted FCS and the City were treating UCF like a poor stepchild.

Interestingly, the University of Miami, USF, USC and UCLA (just to name 4) all use stadiums owned by someone else for their home games. FSU played its basketball games in a public arena (although it has since purchased the facility.) Apparently, the model can work.

In terms of DPAC, the original idea was to share with UCF. I've heard reasons that made sense (they simply couldn't come up with a model that met both UCF's and the community's needs) and also internecine squabbling (hardly unheard of in the arts world.) Boomer and smileguy might know more about it.

I also read (again in the Sentinel) that Dr. Hitt was dissed and took his marbles and went home. That never seemed to me as consistent with his personality until the comment he made this past week regarding a politician as the next UCF president, specifically Mayor Dyer. Florida has quite a history of politicians leading our state universities (FSU, USF, FAU, UNF all come to mind - FPU wouldn't even exist except as the personal project of a Polk County legislator.) Some have been outstanding in the role, others not so much. I admit a bit of a surprise in Dr. Hitt joining the academic purist side but that could be a desire  to shore up his legacy or maybe there were more to the rumors from the split being personal than I thought.

I do know from discussions with folks in UCF administration that Dick Nunis had a specific vision at that point which was consistent with his arm's length relationship with the community as WDW president.

In any event, there is about to be a major shuffling of players in the seats of power for both UCF and in local (and state) politics. It seems like a great time to readdress assumptions that were made back then to ensure they are still relevant today and in the future.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I agree should have a brick facade

Pfft, I'm kind of tired of all the brick. I appreciate having a variety of materials, and the academic buildings are all mostly brick. I kind of like how outside the main academic circle, they are using some other materials. Infact, I wish the stadium was a bit less brick, its IMO the ugliest building in the athletic complex. I really like the arena, and don't mind how the baseball stadium looks. The walls are black and gold. The worst part of it is what they're fixing

5 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

I agree should have a brick facade

That wouldn't "go" over there. This facade matches the Tower Apartment Complexes, as well as the rest of the building in the area. 

Also - Spectrum Stadium may look cheap but I would take it any day over the Citrus Bowl. It's OUR stadium. It creates an amazing atmosphere on game days. As money rolls in, the stadium will be upgraded. 

UM, USF and the likes all WANT an on campus stadium. They just don't have the space or the politics just aren't right for it. 

3 hours ago, bqknight said:

That wouldn't "go" over there. This facade matches the Tower Apartment Complexes, as well as the rest of the building in the area. 

Also - Spectrum Stadium may look cheap but I would take it any day over the Citrus Bowl. It's OUR stadium. It creates an amazing atmosphere on game days. As money rolls in, the stadium will be upgraded. 

UM, USF and the likes all WANT an on campus stadium. They just don't have the space or the politics just aren't right for it. 

Yeah, my comment was referring more of the brick on the stadium then the metal... I like the stadium, I just wish they didn't use brick but used some other stone or finish in the areas they did. I don't feel it goes with the arena, baseball stadium, towers, shops, etc...

It was either Hitt or Orsini who said they decided to build the stadium when FCS said they were worth $0 to them and they wouldn't share any revenues with them. 

I have heard a few random things about the DPAC split but nothing that sounds right. Just know that the head of DPAC is apparently awful and shocked she wasn't canned after that report of her behavior was released. Seems like a lot of that relationship has been repaired with UCF hosting their big event every year there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

It was either Hitt or Orsini who said they decided to build the stadium when FCS said they were worth $0 to them and they wouldn't share any revenues with them. 

I have heard a few random things about the DPAC split but nothing that sounds right. Just know that the head of DPAC is apparently awful and shocked she wasn't canned after that report of her behavior was released. Seems like a lot of that relationship has been repaired with UCF hosting their big event every year there.

I wouldn't look at UCF's use of the facility as a sign of an improved relationship. UCF invested major cash in building the building. The arrangement for a certain number of days of facility use goes back to the original agreement, when academic programs were to be taking place on the DPAC campus, and were envisioned to be used through the year - a symphony concert here, a dance performance there, a cabaret somewhere in between.  With programs remaining on the UCF main campus (and at the REP and Shakes) the school is taking their days in a lump in order to create a bigger event with more presence. 

Politically, the DPAC board has split recently with a number of folks forced off the board through selectively-enforced term limits, and others resigned. We'll see what this means for operations of the facility and community support.

• Like 2

Really excellent news about a plan to keep the military's simulation programs at the Central Florida Research Park:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/brinkmann-on-business/os-bz-team-orlando-simulation-buildings-20171102-story.html

The military presence at UCF is the heart of the area's simulation industry. Keeping those facilities here is key to any high-tech aspirations we have.

(From the Sentinel)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...

Basketball's hometown star BJ Taylor (Boone) will be out a few weeks.  7'6 phenom Tacko Fall hasn't played yet due to minor injury but will be playing anytime now.  Coach's son and Michigan Transfer Aubrey Dawkins out for season.    Tough start off the court and NCAA is now seriously in doubt - though Dawkins has done a lot with a little last year.

But how about football?!  10-0 hosting 9-1 USF  on Black Friday.  Game should be a sellout and will be aired nationally on ABC.

How about that?  UCF vs. USF on ABC.  I don't know where UF/FSU will be airing but it's clear that there is no more "Big 3" in Florida.  Even FAU/FIU are doing a nice job with their new coaches.

• Like 1