UCF News

spenser1058

Just saw on the local news that CFE (Central Florida Educators) credit union is changing its name to Addition Financial. Inasmuch as they also own the naming rights to UCF's CFE Arena, it will now become known as Addition Financial Arena.

And Orlando will become known as The Goofy Sports Venue Name City.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Just saw on the local news that CFE (Central Florida Educators) credit union is changing its name to Addition Financial. Inasmuch as they also own the naming rights to UCF's CFE Arena, it will now become known as Addition Financial Arena.

And Orlando will become known as The Goofy Sports Venue Name City.

Maybe the baseball field can be Subtraction Park...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So UCF is feeling the pain from the Coulburn Hall scandal in the pocket-book. The FL Senate approved the budget and UCF was left out of the funding due to perceptions from the mis-allocation of previous funds, according to reports. Tough blow with CV trying to gain traction. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-florida-budget-tuesday-20190430-story.html

• Sad 1

On 5/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, dcluley98 said:

So UCF is feeling the pain from the Coulburn Hall scandal in the pocket-book. The FL Senate approved the budget and UCF was left out of the funding due to perceptions from the mis-allocation of previous funds, according to reports. Tough blow with CV trying to gain traction. 

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-florida-budget-tuesday-20190430-story.html

Yeah, its especially bad because UCF was forced to do the Colburn Hall thing because the building became unsafe and the state wasn't giving them the funds they need.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tacko Fall signed an exhibit 10 contract with the Boston Celtics and Aubrey Dawkins did the same with the NO Pelicans.

Exhibit 10 contracts are for 1 year at NBA minimum and typically have signing bonuses, but they are not guaranteed contracts. Most signees will end up on the teams G League affiliate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 9:54 AM, spenser1058 said:

This makes me ponder if the Central Florida area is ripe for another major state school, or at least a subsidiary of another state school (although I think standalone universities tend to have a better identity and ultimately more school pride).  If that were to happen, where would it go?

4 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

This makes me ponder if the Central Florida area is ripe for another major state school, or at least a subsidiary of another state school (although I think standalone universities tend to have a better identity and ultimately more school pride).  If that were to happen, where would it go?

Given FPU is just getting started (and wasn't even supposed to happen), I assume that's it for the moment. Valencia and SCC can keep expanding 4-year degree programs though, I'd imagine.

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Given FPU is just getting started (and wasn't even supposed to happen), I assume that's it for the moment. Valencia and SCC can keep expanding 4-year degree programs though, I'd imagine.

Its a bit of a shame FPU was placed next to I-4 / in the middle of nowhere.  It could have benefited from a technology cluster such as Lake Nona or even the emerging NeoCity.  Out there in isolation would seem like a tough sell to millennials.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

I would venture to say that UNLV would be somewhere in the Top 4.

The highest ranked American school was Pennsylvania State- University Park at #3. UCF at #5. FSU and UF at 16 and 17. UNLV at 20.

http://www.shanghairanking.com/Shanghairanking-Subject-Rankings/hospitality-tourism-management.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, as is so often the case with the gang who can’t shoot straight in Tallahassee for the last 20 years, it turns out Trevorgate was much ado about nothing. 

Of course, it would be also fun to know which ‘Nole or Gator can’t stand the fact that UCF keeps moving on up but I digress.

As for the Brevard legislator who wanted to shut the school down (need I tell you which anti-education party he belongs to?), there is a special precinct of Hades preserved for his version of idiocy.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that we Charge On!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/education/os-ne-board-of-governors-20191003-7vigaxxt65b2fl2cwzqafiozfu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058