Jump to content

Recommended Posts


On 2/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, SupercityGR said:

As much as I would hate to see this prime spot wasted for a convention center and hotel it would make sense. That big parking lot by plaza towers on the river 

How about the parking lot next to River House? Then have a suspension bridge skywalk attach the two buildings across the rapids-filled river. Each building would have a hotel tower attached as well. It would be a cool, unique setup that could put Grand Rapids on the convention map.

Edited by GRLaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

As much as I would hate to see this prime spot wasted for a convention center and hotel it would make sense. That big parking lot by plaza towers on the river 

My guess is the CAA and ExperienceGR would say that putting the convention center expansion that far away from the existing one is  a no-go, and would probably greatly increase costs. Having it physically connected by a short skywalk on the post office site would give them the ability to share services, easier for caterers, easier for convention goers, logistics, trucking, etc.. 

However, it would be closer to the arena. Not sure if that matters? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad it couldn't be across the river at the corner of Bridge and Scribner and connect that with a skywalk over the river.  However, I don't think there's enough space over there and you wouldn't want to disturb President Ford's final resting space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Study will gauge demand for more downtown Grand Rapids convention hotels

GRAND RAPIDS, MI - The Grand Rapids Kent County Convention and Arena Authority (CAA) is hiring a Chicago hotel consultant to determine if there's a need for a 400-plus room convention hotel at the DeVos Place Convention Center.

 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2018/03/study_gauge_demand_for_new_dow.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to post this...seems like they are moving fast on this.  I think a hotel in that "dead" section of DeVos would be great.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think the convention hotel would be a great addition. The idea of a hotel behind the arena seems a little less necesssary. 

Joe

Agreed, although more street level density and height in that area would still be awesome.   A hotel there would still be connected by the skywalk system.  I don't want to think about the parking nightmare that would cause though :tw_dizzy:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I didn't really think about the fact that Grand Rapids can only host one major convention at a time with the current setup, until recently from these articles. If an expanded convention center and a 400 room hotel draws even 70% more conventions every year, that would probably double or triple the number of rooms needed. That may be what they're hoping this report will say, that a new 400 room hotel and expansion will cause all boats to rise in the tide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s how I read it but sounds like wheeler is afraid that a little competition will make his slice smaller, in reality the city is saying the whole pie should grow with the ability to host larger or more conventions and they would feel safer spending 50k to investigate before they invest 50x that amount. What I don’t get is how they came up with the numbers of 400 rooms and specifically 24 story tower at this point? What if they find they only need 200 rooms would they use the opportunity now to build a 12 story limited hotel like the Hyatt place? Or on the other end they need 700 rooms, would they build a 40 story tower full service Hyatt? In other words are they set on that size/height and only concerned to fit that? I sure hope if they spend that kind of mo why it’s more open ended to build to capacity and hopefully go larger if that’s what the study shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, GR8scott said:

That’s how I read it but sounds like wheeler is afraid that a little competition will make his slice smaller, in reality the city is saying the whole pie should grow with the ability to host larger or more conventions and they would feel safer spending 50k to investigate before they invest 50x that amount. What I don’t get is how they came up with the numbers of 400 rooms and specifically 24 story tower at this point? What if they find they only need 200 rooms would they use the opportunity now to build a 12 story limited hotel like the Hyatt place? Or on the other end they need 700 rooms, would they build a 40 story tower full service Hyatt? In other words are they set on that size/height and only concerned to fit that? I sure hope if they spend that kind of mo why it’s more open ended to build to capacity and hopefully go larger if that’s what the study shows.

My guess is that the pro-forma and much of the investigation has already been done, and they landed on that size and scale as something that the CAA could afford. The study is probably just to show that they did their market due diligence, because they are a public entity. The decision has already been made to build it, the question is, where. That's my guess anyway. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was down on Monroe today across the street from Reserve and a 24 story tower, although not tall by big city standards, would loom pretty large over Monroe if they put it in that spot. T'would be pretty sweet. Let's build it already.  #DCoftheGreatLakes

-fe350713bd37730c.jpg.0bed264f02f00da837

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While i'm sure that rendering floating around is just a prototype sketch up.  If they do go forward with it I'd be eager to see what the actual design looks like :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MJLO said:

While i'm sure that rendering floating around is just a prototype sketch up.  If they do go forward with it I'd be eager to see what the actual design looks like :)

It was done by ProgressiveAE who did work with Ellerbe Beckett on the convention center and has worked with the CAA before. But you're right it probably  will change a bit before it goes up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the MLive article, people kind of acted like it’d be unfair as it would be owned by the public. But am I not mistaken that the CAA probably wouldn’t get into the hotel business. That they would most likely have a long term lease with a hotel or hotel management company? 

I can’t imagine Amway won’t get their hands on this building (not saying that is a bad thing, good business move for them). 

I also think that downtown can absorb the rooms, especially if they can bring in more conventions because of it (which shuffles business travelers around a bit).

i agree with GRDad  let’s build! :)

joe

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

In the MLive article, people kind of acted like it’d be unfair as it would be owned by the public. But am I not mistaken that the CAA probably wouldn’t get into the hotel business. That they would most likely have a long term lease with a hotel or hotel management company? 

I can’t imagine Amway won’t get their hands on this building (not saying that is a bad thing, good business move for them). 

I also think that downtown can absorb the rooms, especially if they can bring in more conventions because of it (which shuffles business travelers around a bit).

i agree with GRDad  let’s build! :)

joe

 

Yes, the articles I've seen, the hotel would be operated/managed by a private company (I assume one of the national hotel chains). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MJLO said:

While i'm sure that rendering floating around is just a prototype sketch up.  If they do go forward with it I'd be eager to see what the actual design looks like :)

It's probably a safe sketch ... looks like the standard 12 - 13 floor height GR loves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I was down on Monroe today across the street from Reserve and a 24 story tower, although not tall by big city standards, would loom pretty large over Monroe if they put it in that spot. T'would be pretty sweet. Let's build it already.  #DCoftheGreatLakes

 

2

Yes - It would be imposing from the street.  If you think about it, downtown doesn't have a lot of that as most of the tall building front the river, and this would actually front a street!   I personally think it a pretty good scetch, but everyone is right, it won't look like that when all is said and done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arcturus said:

It's probably a safe sketch ... looks like the standard 12 - 13 floor height GR loves.  

Each yellow band represents two stories actually. It's like a double Grand Rapids tower cake!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Each yellow band represents two stories actually. It's like a double Grand Rapids tower cake!

Wouldn’t want it to appear to be over 12 stories tall now

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Wouldn’t want it to appear to be over 12 stories tall now

The Windquest Building is 8 stories and this looks to be significantly higher than that. 

This article from Mlive says Amway Grand Tower has 286 rooms? I can't imagine the footprint is going to be much larger, meaning a 400 hotel room will be around the same height if not taller. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/10/high-end_hotel_new_rooms_in_th.html

Edited by kwl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kwl said:

The Windquest Building is 8 stories and this looks to be significantly higher than that. 

This article from Mlive says Amway Grand Tower has 286 rooms? I can't imagine the footprint is going to be much larger, meaning a 400 hotel room will be around the same height if not taller. 

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/10/high-end_hotel_new_rooms_in_th.html

Oh yeah, way higher. That's what I was saying, that standing on Monroe which is home to a lot of low-slung buildings, this hotel would be way up there (comparatively speaking). 

10 hours ago, GR8scott said:

Wouldn’t want it to appear to be over 12 stories tall now

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate bumping threads with no new news, but... I'm curious. :) I know that they worked on a Feasibility study and were working with a consultant. Does anyone know if they are still pursuing the idea of a 24 story hotel? Haven't heard a peep on over a year. 

I'm sure that they're watching the number of hotels coming online in the next year, but this is also a longer-term, strategic spot for a convention center hotel. So it seems like they'd still be working through the process.

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I hate bumping threads with no new news, but... I'm curious. :) I know that they worked on a Feasibility study and were working with a consultant. Does anyone know if they are still pursuing the idea of a 24 story hotel? Haven't heard a peep on over a year. 

I'm sure that they're watching the number of hotels coming online in the next year, but this is also a longer-term, strategic spot for a convention center hotel. So it seems like they'd still be working through the process.

Joe

I'm not surprised we haven't heard anything on this one yet.  I hate to change the subject, but I am surprised that we haven't heard anything about the Consumers Energy regional headquarters on the West Side.   Groundbreaking was to take place by end of 2019.... Now back to DeVos Place Hotel...

Edited by mpchicago
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By GVSUChris
      Correct. 
      https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/10/millennium-park-nixed-as-potential-site-for-proposed-large-scale-grand-rapids-amphitheater.html
      The idea of putting it behind the VAA is...interesting...
    • By KJHburg
      Photos from today this JW Marriott hotel at Plant Riverside  is getting ready to open in November of this year.  This is a great project new construction blending with renovated old power plant all along the Savannah River. This project will include an extension of the riverwalk further towards the bridge.  
      http://www.plantriverside.com/#home
       
       




















    • By Scribe
      I posted this under the general "Misc. Uptown Projects" but being a 226 foot tower on an empty surface parking lot, I think this has the potential to get things moving in re-developing the South Brevard/CTC corridor...
      I have been waiting for this project to publish the site plans....
      http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/048-063/2018-062 site plan.pdf
      Finally seeing some motion on the parcels across S Brevard from the CTC (this is just crappy surface parking lot now....)
      19 story tower (will be marketed as 20 story) according to @ricky_davis_fan_21 it will be a 226.67 feet tall!



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.