Mangiamo/Paddock Place Residential Development

mgreven

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Greg Gilmore has a plan to the HPC for a residential development on the Paddock Place/Mangiamo! site.  Interesting.

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.16.03 PM.png

Assuming they are keeping the old house to be used as the "Community Building" then I absolutely love this plan. Infill and added density at its finest (assuming the new buildings are architecturally pleasing).

46 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Assuming they are keeping the old house to be used as the "Community Building" then I absolutely love this plan. Infill and added density at its finest (assuming the new buildings are architecturally pleasing).

Based on the outline of the building matching up almost exactly with the shape on Google maps in the non-satellite view, it looks like they are keeping the house in-tact. 

2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Would love to know the sizes of these.  They seem small and based on the marking some include parking below the unit?

This does add density, I wonder what the target market is?

Based on the demographics of the neighborhood my guess would be recent college grads and empty nesters.  This of course if they don't go for LIHTC, which i don't see them doing.  

According to CensusReporter.org that portion of the East Hills has a lower per capita income, but an unusually high educational attainment with 46.3% of residents having a bachelors degree or higher.  Full disclosure I live in this census tract.  From what I can tell most of the people moving here are professionals and college students.  This and the fact that there are still parts of the neighborhood transitioning would explain the lower income stats.  As it continues to gentrify I would expect that number to rise.  Developments like this are an indicator of that. 

Here's the link to censusreporter.org

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/14000US26081002500-census-tract-25-kent-mi/

29 minutes ago, MJLO said:

Based on the demographics of the neighborhood my guess would be recent college grads and empty nesters.  This of course if they don't go for LIHTC, which i don't see them doing.  

According to CensusReporter.org that portion of the East Hills has a lower per capita income, but an unusually high educational attainment with 46.3% of residents having a bachelors degree or higher.  Full disclosure I live in this census tract.  From what I can tell most of the people moving here are professionals and college students.  This and the fact that there are still parts of the neighborhood transitioning would explain the lower income stats.  As it continues to gentrify I would expect that number to rise.  Developments like this are an indicator of that. 

Here's the link to censusreporter.org

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/14000US26081002500-census-tract-25-kent-mi/

If these are "for sale" units they will blow through these in a hurry.  $270's and up would be a good price point. None of that $400+ Belknap Lookout stuff. 

1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Just driving by the property an hour ago, I will admit I'm not sure how they are going to fit all of that onto it. I can assume these are going to be some really thin townhouses like this:

91-Sherman-St-Townhouses.jpg

image.jpeg.dedc5b4f3d754da79dcff347216f9fc5.jpeg

Edmonds_cam02_TH.jpg

I don't think they'll be anything like those. The site plan shows four-plexes and duplexes. The top 2 images you posted are individual homes. The bottom image is of $1 Million + brownstones. 

Probably think of Fairmount Square behind ICCF on Cherry Street, or ICCF's townhouses at Division and Wealthy. 

Paddock Place Mangiamo.JPG

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I don't think they'll be anything like those. The site plan shows four-plexes and duplexes. The top 2 images you posted are individual homes. The bottom image is of $1 Million + brownstones. 

Probably think of Fairmount Square behind ICCF on Cherry Street, or ICCF's townhouses at Division and Wealthy. 

Paddock Place Mangiamo.JPG

It will be interesting if HPC allows attached units/row homes on this site, we could not get a 3 unit approved on Donald and ended up having to cut it down to a 2 unit.

2 hours ago, KCLBADave said:

It will be interesting if HPC allows attached units/row homes on this site, we could not get a 3 unit approved on Donald and ended up having to cut it down to a 2 unit.

Dave -

Would they have the same issues that you had on Donald Place? Is this lot in a historic district, or just a historic property? And does that make a difference. 

I think it's a pretty cool re-use and hopefully they are able to retain the park like setting (seems doable since a lot of the units will be build on the parking lots). 

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Dave -

Would they have the same issues that you had on Donald Place? Is this lot in a historic district, or just a historic property? And does that make a difference. 

I think it's a pretty cool re-use and hopefully they are able to retain the park like setting (seems doable since a lot of the units will be build on the parking lots). 

Joe

Not a historic district.  Presumably, it is a historic property.  That's very unfortunate for Gilmore.  Good luck to him.

2 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Yeah I elected not to chime in on that one - it was a little energized beyond what I want to get involved with on FB. 

Someone asked if "trees" could be historically preserved...  While I agree that maintaining a tree canopy is good for a neighborhood and a city, putting trees under the auspices of a historic preservation distinction? 

It's the old "Don't change the character of the place!!! Noooooo!!!" But when pressed "Well do you have the means to buy, preserve and upkeep the property?"    Response: "Noooooooo!!!! Of course not don't expect me to do anything like that!!" 

At least when I protested the demolition of the Cherry Tree Court Apt building, I actually contacted the owner, investigated the cost to move the building down the block, and the owner agreed to sell it to me for $1, and I had no money. :) 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

GRGridGirl posted this on her FB page and people are going ballistic (against it). 

I was trying to think if I knew who that was, then I saw the post... Man people are outrageous. Guess they prefer an empty parking lot to providing the citizens of GR with housing.

22 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

I was trying to think if I knew who that was, then I saw the post... Man people are outrageous. Guess they prefer an empty parking lot to providing the citizens of GR with housing.

Somebody put a link to this page there. 

They may need to pick an architect who understand this kind of development. Concept is great for the big building downtown, but not for this kind of work. Character drives everything, if the design is right people will get on board.  I wouldn't expect anything of significant architectural character from concept in this case.  Could be wrong - but haven't seen it from them anywhere else.

13 hours ago, AG3 said:

They may need to pick an architect who understand this kind of development. Concept is great for the big building downtown, but not for this kind of work. Character drives everything, if the design is right people will get on board.  I wouldn't expect anything of significant architectural character from concept in this case.  Could be wrong - but haven't seen it from them anywhere else.

Agreed.

Archived