Jump to content

Mangiamo/Paddock Place Residential Development


mgreven

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, x99 said:


Look on grar.  2150 square foot house in Lowell, all above grade.  $240k including the lot.  Subtract out $40,000 for the lot and its $93 a foot, not counting the garage.  There's stuff in Byron and Rockford all starting around $115 a foot.  Again, not including garage, and assuming $40k on the lot.  And that lot price in Byron and Lowell is probably too low.  Eastbrook, Allen Edwin, and some others are all pulling this off.  Sable Homes is pulling it off even a little cheaper, but those things are so ugly it's frightening.  Still, you're at least not sharing a wall!

But given construction costs like this, I have to question whether Gilmore could even pull it off.  Maybe.  I just don't understand who pays $300,000 to live in a $125,000 neighborhood.  It doesn't take long before all of it is worth $125,000.  Maybe he thinks he can build enough stuff to keep it self-sustaining.  I suspect that's what the site plan is what it is, too.  If they just split off lots and sell them, who would buy them and build on them?  They need to build a little "community" which convincingly pulls off the illusion of value.  And then there's always just the people who can't deal with an old house, I suppose.  

There is absolutely nothing between Fulton and Eastern selling for $125,000 or less.  Check Zillow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


53 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

There is absolutely nothing between Fulton and Eastern selling for $125,000 or less.  Check Zillow.

I did, and it is a $125,000 neighborhood for an average house.  Granted, someone did pay a mind boggling $315,000 for a gut rehab.  I suspect they will live to regret that bizarre decision.  

Edited by x99
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, x99 said:


Look on grar.  2150 square foot house in Lowell, all above grade.  $240k including the lot.  Subtract out $40,000 for the lot and its $93 a foot, not counting the garage.  There's stuff in Byron and Rockford all starting around $115 a foot.  Again, not including garage, and assuming $40k on the lot.  And that lot price in Byron and Lowell is probably too low.  Eastbrook, Allen Edwin, and some others are all pulling this off.  Sable Homes is pulling it off even a little cheaper, but those things are so ugly it's frightening.  Still, you're at least not sharing a wall!

But given construction costs like this, I have to question whether Gilmore could even pull it off.  Maybe.  I just don't understand who pays $300,000 to live in a $125,000 neighborhood.  It doesn't take long before all of it is worth $125,000.  Maybe he thinks he can build enough stuff to keep it self-sustaining.  I suspect that's what the site plan is what it is, too.  If they just split off lots and sell them, who would buy them and build on them?  They need to build a little "community" which convincingly pulls off the illusion of value.  And then there's always just the people who can't deal with an old house, I suppose.  

Are you talking new construction or an existing home? Can you give a link? I can tell you that no one in the area who is decent is hitting $93 or even $115/sf for new construction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Are you talking new construction or an existing home? Can you give a link? I can tell you that no one in the area who is decent is hitting $93 or even $115/sf for new construction. 

New construction.  Sod's not even in.  https://www.grar.com/property/mls/17054304.  It's a two story box with a granite counter.  They have the same thoroughly ugly house in Sparta on a 3/4 acre lot for $260,000 with a three stall garage.  Sable does not build fancy, but they do build a solid house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Greg Gilmore is back before the HPC with a revised plan, including a much smaller number of "cottages" in the back left corner of the property, and a ballroom addition on Paddock Place. It's really long, you'll have to go to the submission to read it all:

http://grandrapidscitymi.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=3151&Inline=True

Starts on page 114. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Gotta save our historic parking lots...

I literally lol'd. My feelings exactly. What's that saying? Sometimes the best intentions have the worst unintended consequences? 

I actually talked to someone who is pretty plugged into the community about the previous plan and he said "I don't want to see that big grand house surrounded by townhouses and the lawn gone in the front. Or the house torn down."  None of which was part of the original plan... :huh:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I literally lol'd. My feelings exactly. What's that saying? Sometimes the best intentions have the worst unintended consequences? 

I actually talked to someone who is pretty plugged into the community about the previous plan and he said "I don't want to see that big grand house surrounded by townhouses and the lawn gone in the front. Or the house torn down."  None of which was part of the original plan... :huh:

Exactly why such small scale projects shouldn't have community input. If you're not going to actually educate yourself on the topic before shooting it down, then you have no right to tell someone what they can or can not do with their small piece of land. The uproar that this caused was on a scale like the Grandville castle was about to be built on that lot. We're talking about a crack and pothole filled parking lot being replaced by stand-alone townhomes. That's it. Nothing else would have been touched. Now here we stand with a plan that adds zero population or value to the area - kind of like the Dollar General.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I hope the owners now charge big bucks in the future to let neighborhood groups use the lawn for activities and events.

If the neighborhood thinks they co-own the property enough to dictate how it is utilized, at least they can chip in more for the taxes, and upkeep.

You can't reason with socialists, you capitalist pig. :rofl:

I'll actually be surprised if the HPC approves this plan, especially the ballroom. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.