House of Blues/hotel/office space, 18 stories, 105-107 1st Ave. South

markhollin

On 11/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, NashRugger said:

We're just going to have to disagree. Show me a financially viable way to make a profit on this very distinct piece of property at only 6 stories and then maybe I'll change my thinking. I'm looking at it as an opportunity to develop a piece of crap parking lot that's at least 3 decades old that has not seen a proposal before that could activate the street level and also be incorporated into the bridge, which already abuts a skyscraper over 400ft anyways. 

I will ask the blunt question, would you rather still have this parking lot or an 18-story building that adds food/retail space and basically will seal the connection between Broadway and the amphitheater along with that proposal at 1st & Demonbreun? 

I can see both sides of this debate, but trying to frame this as an up or down choice between the current proposal and a parking lot is completely unproductive. It's just an easy way to sideline any criticism that's made for any proposal without having to actually make a case in favor of it. If someone proposes marriage the choices are not (A.) Yes or (B.) You're staying single forever because nobody else will ever want you. Have confidence in Nashville. This is a great property in a very active district that is ripe for monetizing. If 18 stories aren't allowed, the price of the property will change to reflect that and it will eventually be purchased and developed just like every other available property in that area has done. Cities that throw out their planning and desperately accept the first development proposal that comes along do not turn into great places.

That said, it would be sweet to have a HOB right in the middle of things. There's a perfectly reasonable case to be made to allow this, but it is not a choice between 18 stories or a parking lot.

• Like 4

On 11/24/2017 at 7:55 AM, japan said:

These aren't downtown HOB locations are they?  I would be shocked if we got something like this downtown.

No, this is at Disney Springs (used to be called Downtown Disney).

71662519.hQjhONcK.DisneyDec2006058.jpg

On 11/24/2017 at 10:08 AM, Pdt2f said:

I was actually thinking that it looked like the Hatfield and McCoy dinner theater in Pigeon Forge :rofl:

I went to this once. I've always despised those dinner show things, but it was somewhat enjoyable. But yeah, still not the look we should be going for downtown. Unless they want to make a Redneck Rivera section of downtown by the river...

• 3 weeks later...

From NBJ: Metro's Historic Zoning Commission voted 6-2, with one commissioner absent, to alter the guidelines governing construction of new buildings on properties on the edges of the city's downtown tourist district. As a result of that 6-2 vote, a building no more than 18 stories tall would be permissible on the 0.43-acre property at 105-107 First Ave. S. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/12/21/downtown-high-rise-with-potential-house-of-blues.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From NBJ: Metro's Historic Zoning Commission voted 6-2, with one commissioner absent, to alter the guidelines governing construction of new buildings on properties on the edges of the city's downtown tourist district. As a result of that 6-2 vote, a building no more than 18 stories tall would be permissible on the 0.43-acre property at 105-107 First Ave. S. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/12/21/downtown-high-rise-with-potential-house-of-blues.html

Looking at the website for MJM Architecture, I'm not hopeful that this building would be of a classic, even appealing design. They've done suburban retail crap almost exclusively. A couple of site plans but nothing urban and (again) suburban with lots of asphalt. Not promising. However, since we have not seen any renderings thus far, I'm still skeptical about this whole thing. 

http://www.retailarchitecture.com/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Looking at the website for MJM Architecture, I'm not hopeful that this building would be of a classic, even appealing design. They've done suburban retail crap almost exclusively. A couple of site plans but nothing urban and (again) suburban with lots of asphalt. Not promising. However, since we have not seen any renderings thus far, I'm still skeptical about this whole thing. 

I'm super sceptical after reviewing their portfolio as well. Their most high profile work appears to be a strip mall.

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

This part speaks volumes. 

"Any speculation on the entertainment tenant is premature,"

Also, no word of who the developer is. It may be the architecture firm that owns the lot, but who knows.

Step 1: propose 18 story tower with HoB

Step 2: get approval

Step 3: drop HoB

Step 4: build 18 story tower

Thanks!!!!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Yea, their work is sub-standard for sure.

7 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Step 1: propose 18 story tower with HoB

Step 2: get approval

Step 3: drop HoB

Step 4: build 18 story tower

Thanks!!!!

I am thinking you are probably correct. Too many hair brains in this city with a lot of unrealistic plan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

House of Blues venue continues to move forward having recently received Metro Historic Zoning Commission approval related to building design guidelines for the site.

The building could stand about 230 feet tall at a point about 250 feet away from Broadway, creating a "step back" orientation so as to not overpower the popular entertainment street.

MJM Architects, which works in an adjacent building that the design firm owns, would serve as architect. “We’re pleased that the Historic Commission has approved a thoroughly developed design guideline update that allows appropriate height for new structures neighboring the historic district," said Steve Maher, partner with MJM Architects. "The new height guideline is consistent and contextually appropriate to Lower Broadway.”

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20987486/notes-image-released-for-midtown-staybridge-hotel

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
10 minutes ago, Licec said:

I wonder is this the project they are spending 36 million for the land to build.

111 Broadway is what was purchased today for $36 million. It is on the same block, but the NW quadrant.  This "House of Blues concept lot" is on the SE quadrant. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, markhollin said:

111 Broadway is what was purchased today for $36 million. It is on the same block, but the NW quadrant.  This "House of Blues concept lot" is on the SE quadrant. 

Maybe they will build something at 111. 36 million is a large chunk of change to just do nothing with.

Edited by Licec