Centric Hotel, 20 stories, 252 rooms, 8,000 s. ft. retail, March, 2019 start, C.B. Ragland, 200 Molloy St. (2nd Ave South & Molloy)

markhollin

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm picturing these two trying to hit on the new girl, Four Seasons, that just walked into the bar.

I'm just imagining these architects begging to add a crown or some nice shape to their skyscraper designs…and the developer says, “Sorry…we can’t afford any of that.  It has to be a box.”  So the architects get ticked and say, “Yeah..that’s fine…I’ll design your box…but it’s gonna have stripes and circles and dots and windows shaped all different sizes, with horizontal, diagonal and vertical lines…and sprinkles on top."

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

100%!

The minimal amount of time a pedestrian needs to spend in a danger zone where a car not paying attention can hit and kill them is good.  Small corner radii are actually quite good, because quite honestly the biggest benefit to a bigger radii is to cater to bigger vehicles and faster turning speeds. If you area driving a bigger vehicle in a downtown core, you should have to go slower around corners and be more patient on smaller roads. The biggest vehicle city streets should be designed for are transit vehicles, and even roads with transit routes on them should only be optimized at key points, hence transit and roadways need to be thought of together. Roadways have been designed for cars so long that stupidly enough you need a pedestrian minimum for a crosswalk that are aastronoically higher than necessary. In my opinon every traffic signal installation should come with a crosswalk installation and pedestrian safety measures for it (this mostly happens in downtowns, but suprisngly not always).

I absolutely agree with all of your points, but a city bus cannot turn that corner on KVB - and they put a fire hydrant on the corner, to boot!

But that corner by the Hampton....that's definitely out of kilter

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LA_TN said:

I absolutely agree with all of your points, but a city bus cannot turn that corner on KVB - and they put a fire hydrant on the corner, to boot!

That fire hydrant is hilarious haha. I'm very surprised it hasn't been taken out yet haha.

A city bus can turn there, it just needs to make it alot wider than typical vehicles. Push the left turn lane of Hermitage back far enough to allow for a bus or a larger truck to make a wider turn and the curb radii becomes alot less of a problem. It's as simple as striping the road differently while giving the shorter crossings for pedestrians. Slight shift in thinking like that can make a world of a difference.

• Like 3

Metro traffic engineers, if they have any, need to go back to the drawing board and maybe even school. We keep on seeing bad designs on new roads.WTH is wrong with that. I also think there needs to be rethought on where fire hydrants go. I am sure the fire debt wants them right on the corner where they get ran over all over the country because that’s the way its always been done. Just like the power pole, that’s always the way its been done. I will bet there is a better way to do it but no one has been challenged to come up with the solution.

• Like 3