Modera McGavock (formerly Hotel Broadway plan), 29 stories/325', 400 residential units, 16,000 sq. ft. restaurant/retail

markhollin

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2017 at 7:10 PM, Pdt2f said:

I’d say that’s quite a substantial change from the current! 

I think that rendering is amazing! I hope all of those projects break ground this year.

2 hours ago, nashville_bound said:

5 levels cut from early iteration and 10% less hotel rooms.....still ugly through! ha

I hope the real-deal changes my mind.

Is that what the article says? It's down to only 16 floors?

• Like 1

Yes. That information is in the article. Hey, it's the Nashville way. Make a big announcement and whittle away until it's not such a big deal.  $50 million is actually a midsize project these days. 

Article mentions that current zoning allows 10 floors with 6 additional floors with LEED design elements. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Yes. That information is in the article. Hey, it's the Nashville way. Make a big announcement and whittle away until it's not such a big deal.  $50 million is actually a midsize project these days. 

Article mentions that current zoning allows 10 floors with 6 additional floors with LEED design elements. 

Yep.  Even the JWM (which was the best design in years) had to go and whittle down their crown.  Just once, I'd love to see a render and then the finished product is double in height!! :wub:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Seriously??? Why would anything that close to downtown be zoned for only 10 floors???

• Like 1

Are the height restrictions really affecting development, though? It would be one thing if Nashville's CBD were filled up with buildings at the limit, and new projects were maximizing their available height. But there are still plenty of low-rise or vacant lots and, like this project, the plans get downsized early on. It's not like Metro won't approve variances for the legit proposals, anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I would say no, but several projects seem to get sliced by 5 or 6 floors due to the silly rules.

We still have several hundred acres of land that can be developed in and just around the core. We may get a new tallest announced in the next year or two in the core. I don't have a problem with the height limitations outside the loop and north of James Robertson and the historic section of downtown. Its just everywhere else that could be considered the core it just needs to be lifted.

The rules are old and outdated as the city is changing rapidly.

Are the rules that old? Were they not redone in most areas with one of the recent long term plans? 

Yea, they did a study, changed the rules about 5 years ago, but look what has happened in the last 5 years. Metro has way too many hoops to jump through. The first is the MDHA design review committee. In a word a useless committee that gave us the Hyatt Place material on 3rd and the Rolling Mill Hill fiasco. 

Then there is the downtown design review committee that shoots down the crap MDHA approves on several occasions. 

Then you have the zoning appeals committee that use to be able to give height variances.

Then there is the Planning commission that catches everything.

If the developer does not like the outcome of the Planning Commission, then they can go to the Council.

I am sure there are other committees they have to navigate through, but these are the biggies.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

This is one of my favorite under the radar projects. Will stand out in a great way IMO

Same here.  I have said it a million times before, but Manuel Zeitlin is far and away Nashville's best architect, in my opinion, so I look forward to seeing this in its completed form!

• Like 1

McGavock Street Partnership plans to start excavation by early fall. Officially, it will be 16 stories and 380 rooms. An updated rendering will soon be released.

“We’re currently working on some plan revisions and hope to have revised elevations in the next couple of weeks,” Manuel Zeitlin, MZA president, told the Post. “The tentative plan is to start excavation late summer/early fall in order to be able to start coming back out of the ground at the end of the year as full building permits."

Tentatively called McGavock Street Hotel (Stevens said an official name is forthcoming) and to be an independent brand, the facility could include a ground-floor restaurant and coffee shop, a handful of micro rooms and, potentially, some penthouse units, luxury apartments and/or offices on the 16th floor. A previous plan envisioned a 21-story hotel (pictured), and a prior iteration would have called for a five-story, 160-room dual-branded hotel via a primarily different development entity.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21012035/fall-groundbreaking-eyed-for-gulch-boutique-hotel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1