Jump to content

orange87

Cambria Hotel and Suites | 8-Story 155-Room Hotel [Approved]

Recommended Posts


Decent height considering the size of the lot. A big improvement over what's currently there. To put some perspective on the height of this, the building next to it (west) is six stories tall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

St. George's is the catalyst in that area working with the homeless. My guess is that the hotel will need to work with the church to determine how to proceed. OBJ keeps recycling this project even though downtown hotel occupancy grows remarkably slowly. I'm still unsure this moves forward anytime soon, especially now that Tremont is underway.

Edited by spenser1058

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given how glacially the hotel market downtown goes, I suspect only one of the three between Cambria, AC by Marriott and the TraveLodge redo happens. 

I could easily be wrong but based on what's happened in the past, that's my best guess.

To answer your question directly, it's still crickets based on the site.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather see a boutique-style apartment/condo project go there instead of a hotel anyway. It just sucks the main entrance to Lake Eola from downtown still goes unfinished...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Given how glacially the hotel market downtown goes, I suspect only one of the three between Cambria, AC by Marriott and the TraveLodge redo happens. 

I could easily be wrong but based on what's happened in the past, that's my best guess.

To answer your question directly, it's still crickets based on the site.

So with  that rationale let’s not hold our breaths for the hotel proposal for Magnolia & Anderson near DPAC...

Sadly I agree with you.  And I didn’t even bring up the Magic hotel proposal...

You know, maybe the complexion of downtown ala potential hotel patrons will change when UCF starts operating en force...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

So with  that rationale let’s not hold our breaths for the hotel proposal for Magnolia & Anderson near DPAC...

Sadly I agree with you.  And I didn’t even bring up the Magic hotel proposal...

You know, maybe the complexion of downtown ala potential hotel patrons will change when UCF starts operating en force...

It's certainly possible although it seems like the programs coming downtown will attract more local sorts than some of the hardcore STEM majors staying on Alafaya.

I also wonder if SunTrust downsizing is also likely to decrease the number of business travelers.

Here's hoping someone else coming downtown will take up the slack so occupancy rates at least remain steady.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could just be code enforcement stuff but a lot of tree trimming happening on site today.   Recent Bungalower article with Dean Grandin said the city hasn’t heard from developer in a few years 

B084302A-E269-4BE0-A678-153DCCB6234F.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Could just be code enforcement stuff but a lot of tree trimming happening on site today.   Recent Bungalower article with Dean Grandin said the city hasn’t heard from developer in a few years 

B084302A-E269-4BE0-A678-153DCCB6234F.jpeg

yes...I guess so... it's hard to believe that it's been that long...but I just checked the dates of the photos in this thread above.

wow.  well, Radisson Blu changed their project to mirror the trends.  But, the 2-story Travelodge is being converted into a 10-story hotel (site is still fenced off).  If that gets built, that will add like a hundred or so rooms within 3 blocks of Washington & Rosalind; might be too much for the area to absorb.

I wonder if these guys also have a contingency plan to do something similar to Radisson Blu.  If they do, the project would have to be much taller to get more units built.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked the City permitting website and they appear to be actively pursuing their building permit.  Their last resubmittal was on April 22.  They probably need to appear before the ARB one more time but it looks like this is very close to receiving full construction plan approval.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, gibby said:

I checked the City permitting website and they appear to be actively pursuing their building permit.  Their last resubmittal was on April 22.  They probably need to appear before the ARB one more time but it looks like this is very close to receiving full construction plan approval.

that would mean the Bungalower article mentioned above is flat out wrong, since they last heard from them only one month ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

that would mean the Bungalower article mentioned above is flat out wrong, since they last heard from them only one month ago....

During the podcast interview with the outgoing planning division manager Dean Grandin, Brendan referred to Cambria Suites as the "Magnolia Hotel next to the Greek Orthodox", which confused Dean Grandin about previous plans for a hotel on Anderson. Then they both seemed to refer to Cambria Suites as "the [Deco] hotel at Jefferson" lol and that's when Dean gave his opinion about the project.

Edited by nite owℓ
Cambria Suites is located on the corner of Rosalind Ave and E Washington St
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the trees are gone from this lot.    I really hope they are removed for progress of the project and not just to keep the homeless off the land. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ucfpatriot18 said:

All the trees are gone from this lot.    I really hope they are removed for progress of the project and not just to keep the homeless off the land. 

It’s a win either way in my book.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a lot of work going on yesterday here. I didn't realize what this lot was until I came back to UP.

Pretty excited about this project. Great spot, just need to move the bums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, jrs2 said:

yes...I guess so... it's hard to believe that it's been that long...but I just checked the dates of the photos in this thread above.

wow.  well, Radisson Blu changed their project to mirror the trends.  But, the 2-story Travelodge is being converted into a 10-story hotel (site is still fenced off).  If that gets built, that will add like a hundred or so rooms within 3 blocks of Washington & Rosalind; might be too much for the area to absorb.

I wonder if these guys also have a contingency plan to do something similar to Radisson Blu.  If they do, the project would have to be much taller to get more units built.  

Orlando Will never have enough hotels, if anything we need more downtown so people can stay in the actual city rather than stay on Disney’s property and think that is all of Orlando.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Urban25 said:

Orlando Will never have enough hotels, if anything we need more downtown so people can stay in the actual city rather than stay on Disney’s property and think that is all of Orlando.

Oh how I wish that was the case for downtown Orlando, but unfortunately, the tourist corridor(s) do not translate to the downtown district.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.