Cambria Hotel and Suites | 8-Story 155-Room Hotel [Approved]

orange87

If I were a cynical sort, I might conclude this little flurry of activity was in response to Bungalower’s interview with Dean Grandin and in fact nothing has actually changed. IF I were cynical...

Oh well, this lot will be much better if it’s a go. Let us think good thoughts!

14 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The video in the listing shows city views at different heights via drone from what would be the rooftop and pool deck levels of the hotel. I really wish the market were healthy enough to support condos again as this could also make a nice spot for a low rise condo development. Lake Eola views with quiet neighbors on all sides (except for Rosalind on a Friday/Saturday night :alc:).

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

The video in the listing shows city views at different heights via drone from what would be the rooftop and pool deck levels of the hotel. I really wish the market were healthy enough to support condos again as this could also make a nice spot for a low rise condo development. Lake Eola views with quiet neighbors on all sides (except for Rosalind on a Friday/Saturday night :alc:).

Yeah, but then only the residents who live there could enjoy it. At least as a hotel, anyone with enough money to rent a room for a night can enjoy it too.

Bet it'll be tough to book a room overlooking Lake Eola on the 4th of July.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, but then only the residents who live there could enjoy it. At least as a hotel, anyone with enough money to rent a room for a night can enjoy it too.

Bet it'll be tough to book a room overlooking Lake Eola on the 4th of July.

I remember a romantic rendezvous in the ‘80’s for the 4th. We checked in with Leona (rhymes with rich) at the Harley. 

The pool was hopping!

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I want this project to move forward for none other reason than that it incorporates elements of streamline modernism, an underutilized architectural form that I think looks so good in Orlando.

And now if we could just get our McCrory’s back...

• Like 1

I'm definitely not complaining about the final version of Cambria Suites (although the previous iteration was very cheap looking). If only there was a way for Cambria Suites to buy the condemned Greek Orthodox auxiliary building and incorporate the lot into the design (similar to the way the Residence Inn hotel on Colonial Dr & Orange Ave wraps around the old Mama B's sub shop). The Greek Orthodox church needs the money & the condemned building has been sitting vacant for a few years so I'm not sure why the church just doesn't sell it off now. On it's own, the lot the building sits on is too small for significant redevelopment in the future.

1485648207_Rosalindvantage.thumb.jpg.7faa503ac4f565c125af1b3665812b0e.jpg

1601575780_WallSt.thumb.jpg.65f6cc52ff3321315a8c92c09c0cc8f9.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

I don't know the exact reason, but I believe it was a culmination of things adding up over time. The church tried to host social services out of the building for homeless people and it created a lot of problems for the surrounding areas (people loitering, camping out, etc). The church only seemed focused on providing outreach services without responsibly taking into account the toll on it's surroundings... a woman was brutally assaulted one night in that area by a homeless man. The church started renovating the building without permits and I believe it all went downhill from there for them.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I don't know the exact reason, but I believe it was a culmination of things adding up over time. The church tried to host social services out of the building for homeless people and it created a lot of problems for the surrounding areas (people loitering, camping out, etc). The church only seemed focused on providing outreach services without responsibly taking into account the toll on it's surroundings... a woman was brutally assaulted one night in that area by a homeless man. The church started renovating the building without permits and I believe it all went downhill from there for them.

The other thing Is that the building’s view of the library’s loading dock. That, coupled with the Washington St. side of AT&T, has led me to wonder how you make the site attractive to hotel guests. 

I still am unsure how that would work but it’s a block that definitely needs attention.

The garage of the hotel can face AT&T?

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

The other thing Is that the building’s view of the library’s loading dock. That, coupled with the Washington St. side of AT&T, has led me to wonder how you make the site attractive to hotel guests. 

I still am unsure how that would work but it’s a block that definitely needs attention.

Big fan of this project, didn't know about the back story regarding the church. It's somewhat nice to look at from far away but now that I know it's condemned, It doesn't make sense why it's still standing. I would have assumed the hotel tried and failed to get the property already. Prime real estate for sure. Wasted.

• 5 months later...

What's most interesting about this is that they apparently submitted construction plans that differed slightly (higher FAR I think) from the plans that the ARB approved.  The City is correctly making them go back to ARB to get the revised design approved.  Why this didn't happen with 520 Church project is a mystery to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gibby said:

What's most interesting about this is that they apparently submitted construction plans that differed slightly (higher FAR I think) from the plans that the ARB approved.  The City is correctly making them go back to ARB to get the revised design approved.  Why this didn't happen with 520 Church project is a mystery to me.

Very interesting. Somebody fell asleep at the wheel with 520 Church or maybe got handed a payment to "let it slide". 

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Movement...on paper anyway:

11/13 ARB pre screen review approved for 8 story hotel with 155 rooms and ground floor restaurant/retail.

How does one follow this news? Is this public info. I'd love to be informed of stuff like this (obviously this forum is a great help)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gibby said:

Considering Baker Barrios sits on the ARB and also designed 520 Church, I'm in no way surprised that the revised design slide through without another review.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Considering Baker Barrios sits on the ARB and also designed 520 Church, I'm in no way surprised that the revised design slide through without another review.

Which of course puts the lie to the idea that the mayor who picks the ARB has no influence on what it does. Thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jvest55 said:

How does one follow this news? Is this public info. I'd love to be informed of stuff like this (obviously this forum is a great help)

City has a permit lookup site where you just type in the address or project name.

http://permitlookup.cityoforlando.net/

4 hours ago, ChiDev said:

Where did you see this? I see nothing about an 11/13 meeting:

I don’t know all the lingo but I imagine a “pre-screen review” takes place before it goes in front of the board.    Which means my idea of sending random Trader Joe’s and MicroTarget renderings to the advisory boards just to see if the OBJ runs with it will probably never happen.

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1