Holland Home - Fulton St.

EastownLeo

• 3 years later...
On 1/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, walker said:

I guess the shelter really did turn out to be temporary:

MLIVE: temporary-family-homeless-shelter-in-grand-rapids-is-closing

Remember we had a big discussion about the old Holland Home senior residence property  three or four years ago when it was temporarily leased out for a year as an emergency homeless shelter.  Since the lease expired it has sat empty. 

I don't remember anyone posting anything here about it since then.  While they have apparently been working on it for some time, I just learned today that Hope Network is working on converting it to apartments for the disabled.  A Google search turns up this as the most recent story about it:

CRAINS: Hope Network- Starts Work on 40m Housing Project

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/4/2023 at 5:31 PM, walker said:

Remember we had a big discussion about the old Holland Home senior residence property  three or four years ago when it was temporarily leased out for a year as an emergency homeless shelter.  Since the lease expired it has sat empty. 

I don't remember anyone posting anything here about it since then.  While they have apparently been working on it for some time, I just learned today that Hope Network is working on converting it to apartments for the disabled.  A Google search turns up this as the most recent story about it:

CRAINS: Hope Network- Starts Work on 40m Housing Project

A new news story on WOODTV says that at least part of the old Holland Home will be used as a homeless shelter.  They don't mention anything about the Hope Network project from last year.  I imagine this is in addition to the Hope Network project, only on a different part of the property, but they don't explicitly say:

WOODTV: Retirement Home Repurposed for Homeless Housing

• Like 1

Just adding Crain's updated article on this project.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/partners-plan-shelter-social-services-facility-at-former-fulton-manor-site/

"When completed, the rehabilitated building will house the Nexus Initiative, a housing and social service facility run by Community Rebuilders that will be able to house 42 individuals at a time who are emerging from homelessness, Heule said. The project also has received an undisclosed amount of funding support from the DeVos family for ongoing operating costs."

• Like 2