Great Restaurant

GRDadof3

A group of us from work went to the Chop House the other night, and it was fantastic! It sits right across from the Amway Grand on Monroe. We reserved a small room in the lower level, where there is also a cozy lounge and cigar bar. The room was all the way to the back and had an eclectic "speakeasy" quality to it (for you older folks), but it had a wall of windows to see into the lounge area. The service and food was great, with sychronized serving of courses.

Has anyone been to Leo's yet? I keep seeing it and have been meaning to try it out.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A group of us from work went to the Chop House the other night, and it was fantastic!  It sits right across from the Amway Grand on Monroe.  We reserved a small room in the lower level, where there is also a cozy lounge and cigar bar.  The room was all the way to the back and had an eclectic "speakeasy" quality to it (for you older folks), but it had a wall of windows to see into the lounge area.  The service and food was great, with sychronized serving of courses.

Has anyone been to Leo's yet?  I keep seeing it and have been meaning to try it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GRDad - I've heard the Chop House has excellent food, and the cigar bar makes it even more enticing. I'm going to have to check it out soon.

Leo's is also very good - the best fish/seafood restaurant in Grand Rapids (better food than Charley's Crab, but not as good of a location.! Personally, I think the Sierra Room continues be one of the top restaurants in all of West Michigan. I took a group of out-of-town sales people there this week, and they were blown away by the quality of food there.

One of the best things about the continued development of downtown GR is all of the outstanding restaurants that are available.

ihavent been to the chop house but i have been angling to go there. is it business casual? or business formal attire?

i know that if anyone is interested in checking out Leo's to go pick up the recent copy of GR Magazine which is good on its own right, but they also have a coupon for buy one get one free dinner at leo's for the month of june.

Not a post about Chop House, but has anyone been to the Black Rose Pub? I hear it's pretty authentic...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoyed Black Rose very much. It is very authentic. Also very crowded on weekends!

If you have not tried it yet, I highly recommend Bar Divani

I have been to all three restaurants, the black rose several times. They are very good, and I have nothing to complain about any of them. The Chop House is definately the better of the three, but the prices reflect it. You can expect a 100 dollar bill for two people, at least. But it's worth it. The filet is amazing and I can recommend the au gratin potatoes. Much like Judson's in the BOB, the ala carte sides (potatoes, etc) are enough for two people. I also recommend the calamari. And get this, on your birthday (yes, they'll verify it) your meal is half off for two people, 25% off for four people, etc. You won't find a better dinner for two at that price than at the chop house on someone's birthday. I beleive the discount is on drinks too! I had a steak at Leo's because I'm not a fish person, but it was also excellent. It's a great atmosphere. Try the pork at the Black Rose, its one of the best in the city, right up there with Judson's. The Black Rose also has a great beer selection and a nice patio for those warm summer nights.

The Chop House is excellent, but as GRDad said, it'll cost you. My wife and I had a $75 gift certificate and still had to pay $100 (so $175). The food IS excellent, the atmosphere is great, and the waitstaff is outstanding (you have atleast 5 people wait on you for a party of 2).

Joe

ihavent been to the chop house but i have been angling to go there. is it business casual? or business formal attire?

i know that if anyone is interested in checking out Leo's to go pick up the recent copy of GR Magazine which is good on its own right, but they also have a coupon for buy one get one free dinner at leo's for the month of june.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say business casual, although there were a few suits on the main floor on that Tuesday evening. I wouldn't wear jeans personally.

I had a great Martini at Bar Divani just before a BNL concert, and it was a very cool place. I don't drink enough martinis to tell you if it was good though B)

GRDad  - I've heard the Chop House has excellent food, and the cigar bar makes it even more enticing.  I'm going to have to check it out soon.

Leo's is also very good - the best fish/seafood restaurant in Grand Rapids (better food than Charley's Crab, but not as good of a location.! Personally, I think the Sierra Room continues be one of the top restaurants in all of West Michigan.  I took a group of out-of-town sales people there this week, and they were blown away by the quality of food there. 

One of the best things about the continued development of downtown GR is all of the outstanding restaurants that are available.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you go there to entertain clients, definitely ask for the back room off of the cigar lounge (I don't know what it is called). They will be quite impressed. You almost expect Al Capone to walk in any second.

Speaking of Al Capone, my grandma said she would see him downtown... He would frequent the southern suburbs and I also believe he had a hide out somehwere around here, Gun Lake? Not to get to deap in this crap, but my 10th grade history teachers grandfather was a money clip to Capone. Every Monday or so the teacher would remind us of this, kind gets on the nerves, but it's interesting nonetheless...

Archived