Pedestrian Safety at Crosswalks

nite owℓ

A while back I wrote to the city about Pedestrian Safety at crosswalks after repeatedly witnessing and being involved with near-miss pedestrian collisions. I tried to convince the city traffic engineer to implement a pedestrian-only window at all crosswalks downtown where people could safely cross without vehicle interference. Their compromise was to introduce a 4 second Leading Pedestrian Interval (LPI), but only at the intersection where I was nearly run over myself (at Washington & Rosalind Ave) and not all intersections that I advocated for. They claim LPI's have already been implemented downtown (few and far between from what I've seen), but IMO they should be implemented at ALL intersections or at the very least all major traffic intersections.

Earlier this year, an elderly woman who was a volunteer at the downtown library was killed  while crossing Central Blvd in the pedestrian crosswalk. I wrote to the Sentinel to ask them to try to put the screws to the City to ensure adequate remedial actions are taken, but to my knowledge nothing has been done there. At Central & Rosalind the power-struggle between pedestrians & vehicles to enter the crosswalk during the pedestrian signal is extremely dangerous. Same with Rosalind & Robinson, Robinson & Orange, Robinson & Summerlin, etc.

The City wants us to Live, Work and Play downtown, but they aren't doing much to ensure the safety of added pedestrians lured downtown by brand new apartment projects. With the construction of Modera,  Tremont and potentially Cambria Suites in the pipeline I think additional LPI's should be implemented before more pedestrians hit the streets. Better to be safe than sorry.

What's the point of this topic? Well, I was wondering if there was anyone on UP with City contacts, a large audience, petition experience or even a diplomatic personality who would be willing to spearhead LPI implementation at all (or at least major) intersections in the downtown/CBD area. I would try to do this myself, but I really don't have patience in dealing with people over common sense issues, especially when trying to "convince" the City about something that should already be widely implemented. There's just no excuse for this negligence, the cost to alter existing signals is nominal and the impact is significant (LPI's reduce pedestrian-vehicle collisions as much as 60% at treated intersections). Orlando is already known as one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians.

LPI's really do work. The LPI at the Rosalind/Washington intersection now allows people to cross that intersection a little more safely especially in the dark at night (granted it's a measly 4 second head start to establish right of way in the crosswalk, but still).

If you're curious about how LPI's work, I found some videos that explain their usefulness:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I never said LPI's didn't exist though?? IIRC, the Colonial & Magnolia intersection LPI did not exist 3 years ago, but I could be wrong. What I'm asking for are more LPI's implemented especially along Orange & Rosalind. I regularly see near-misses between vehicles and pedestrians downtown especially during rush hour. I don't think a 5-7 delay is asking for too much in one of the most dangerous cities in the country for pedestrians.

Colonial and Magnolia is one now for sure. I have found they do them more at high-throughput streets, not all cross streets.  This probably is the balance they are talking about between delays and safety.  Planners are notoriously biased toward cars.  They probably are not going to implement them everywhere, but having them at some of the more dangerous and higher volume areas does help. 

• 3 months later...

A study by the makers of the app GasBuddy examined the 30 largest metropolitan areas by population, and concluded these 10 cities have the most aggressive drivers:

1. Los Angeles

2. Philadelphia

3. Sacramento, Calif.

4. Atlanta

5. San Francisco

6. San Diego

7. Orlando, Fla.

8. Detroit

9. Austin, Texas

10. Las Vegas

Here's the rest of the list:

11. Charlotte

12. Pittsburgh

13. Phoenix

14. Boston

15. Dallas-Fort Worth

16. Chicago

17. Miami-Fort Lauderdale

18. Baltimore

19. Tampa-St. Petersburg

20. Washington, D.C.

21. San Antonio

22. Houston

23. New York

24. Kansas City

25. St. Louis

26. Denver

27. Portland, Ore.

28. Cincinnati

29. Seattle

30. Minneapolis-St. Paul

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3137818002

Take that, NYC and Miami!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I recall a bit of discussion about reconfiguring Robinson St along Lake Eola and putting in some kind of crosswalk.

Someone has started an online petition to get the city to make some changes there.

Just saw this on the news earlier Wednesday evening:

Possible realignment of Robinson with bicycle lane:

eolacrosswalk.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the petition:

Robinsonpetition.jpg

For anyone interested. 

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

@nite owℓ‘s on the case. Charge On!

It's about time! I had nothing to do with the LPI expansion downtown, but if I had the power I would implement city-wide sweeping changes by royal decree ;). The people sitting in decision-making seats are just not doing enough when it comes to ped safety. I wouldn't be surprised if the LPI expansion was a general goal created by FDOT (or whichever governing dept) to be met by a certain deadline.

Meanwhile... the city has been busy coming up with groundbreaking, life-saving ideas like pizza box recycling bins - we literally pay someone $80k to come up with this shet.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Bungalower envisions a pedestrian scramble at Rosalind & Central (which is something I originally advocated for):

https://bungalower.com/2020/11/11/i-wish-this-was-a-pedestrian-scramble/

spacer.png

The city still has not implemented LPIs along Rosalind Ave in the Central Business District (other than my initial request at Washington/Rosalind). I'm sick and tired of seeing pedestrians play frogger in crosswalks despite having the right of way signal.

31 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

@nite owℓ... funny observation. Your 1st post on this topic was Nov. 13, 2017. It took Bungalower 3 years to the day to recognize your brilliance and the City still hasn't.

Technically Brendan's article was posted a few days before (let's just call it an anniversary month), but thanks for the kudos. Honestly it really doesn't matter who gets the "glory", I just want to see common sense prevail. I'm glad other people are noticing that the city won't even implement the basics. I'm assuming as the weather starts to cool down, more of our newer residents won't mind running errands on foot rather than drive and hopefully they too will notice something ain't right.

I've sent a few requests to the city regarding ped safety via the reporting tool: https://seeclickfix.com/web_portal/yVgH5HY17G1oLgt9uEHmp8JL/issues/8911788

Their response: "Thanks for reporting your concern. We will look at the warrants for an LPI at this location." Look at the warrants for a LPI located in a downtown area leading to the gateway to our heavily used park, really?? That kind of stubborn mindset (especially coming from the people working in the industry who should know better) really triggers me into a silent rage lol.

Edited by nite owℓ

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

Technically Brendan's article was posted a few days before (let's just call it an anniversary month), but thanks for the kudos. Honestly it really doesn't matter who gets the "glory", I just want to see common sense prevail. I'm glad other people are noticing that the city won't even implement the basics. I'm assuming as the weather starts to cool down, more of our newer residents won't mind running errands on foot rather than drive and hopefully they too will notice something ain't right.

I've sent a few requests to the city regarding ped safety via the reporting tool: https://seeclickfix.com/web_portal/yVgH5HY17G1oLgt9uEHmp8JL/issues/8911788

Their response: "Thanks for reporting your concern. We will look at the warrants for an LPI at this location." Look at the warrants for a LPI located in a downtown area leading to the gateway to our heavily used park, really?? That kind of stubborn mindset (especially coming from the people working in the industry who should know better) really triggers me into a silent rage lol.

I definitely would like to see that. I also would like a No Turn On Red for Central Blvd. WB and a left-turn signal EB (it’s not a long light and people often rush without paying attention to peds while rushing to beat the light - which admittedly they shouldn’t do but it’s awful when only two  cars get through in the cycle and everyone else EB is just stuck).

Fortunately, I’ve driven less than 100 miles since June so the car problem is no longer mine. Walking to OPL to return books, however, is often a kamikaze mission.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 months later...

A bit of good news... a few months ago I resubmitted requests for additional LPIs & it seems the city finally agreed to implement them (according to their response as of 1/27/21). Not sure if they are finally opening their eyes to the problem or if there is a new traffic engineer, but this was a basic safety precaution and long overdue! I previously tried to persuade them over the years to no avail. My final gift before I sell my property & move out of the CBD...

Central Blvd & Rosalind Ave (approved)

E Pine St & Rosalind Ave (approved)

Robinson St & Rosalind Ave (no update yet)

Other intersections along Rosalind Ave in the Central Business District (crickets lol)

I didn't submit tickets for every intersection - I'm not going to do their job for them, but I did recommend adding more.

It's been a bit cold lately so I haven't walked the strip, but I will definitely verify if the changes were actually implemented and if they decided to address Rosalind entirely. I'm sure they probably used a minimal 4 second interval, but over the years I've visibly witnessed just how much safer Washington/Rosalind has become (especially at night). Pedestrians already in the crosswalk force cars to pause/wait until clear - no more power struggle (at least at the beginning of the cycle).

image.thumb.png.5720d00c039dd10b0f23d2ba62cc30f1.pngimage.png.03226e9b38fbc4c18e5882e9af581b16.png

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

A bit of good news... a few months ago I resubmitted requests for additional LPIs & it seems the city finally agreed to implement them (according to their response as of 1/27/21). Not sure if they are finally opening their eyes to the problem or if there is a new traffic engineer, but this was a basic safety precaution and long overdue! I previously tried to persuade them over the years to no avail. My final gift before I sell my property & move out of the CBD...

Great job! See, everyone can have an impact.