nite owℓ

Pedestrian Safety at Crosswalks

A while back I wrote to the city about Pedestrian Safety at crosswalks after repeatedly witnessing and being involved with near-miss pedestrian collisions. I tried to convince the city traffic engineer to implement a pedestrian-only window at all crosswalks downtown where people could safely cross without vehicle interference. Their compromise was to introduce a 4 second Leading Pedestrian Interval (LPI), but only at the intersection where I was nearly run over myself (at Washington & Rosalind Ave) and not all intersections that I advocated for. They claim LPI's have already been implemented downtown (few and far between from what I've seen), but IMO they should be implemented at ALL intersections or at the very least all major traffic intersections.

Earlier this year, an elderly woman who was a volunteer at the downtown library was killed  while crossing Central Blvd in the pedestrian crosswalk. I wrote to the Sentinel to ask them to try to put the screws to the City to ensure adequate remedial actions are taken, but to my knowledge nothing has been done there. At Central & Rosalind the power-struggle between pedestrians & vehicles to enter the crosswalk during the pedestrian signal is extremely dangerous. Same with Rosalind & Robinson, Robinson & Orange, Robinson & Summerlin, etc.

The City wants us to Live, Work and Play downtown, but they aren't doing much to ensure the safety of added pedestrians lured downtown by brand new apartment projects. With the construction of Modera,  Tremont and potentially Cambria Suites in the pipeline I think additional LPI's should be implemented before more pedestrians hit the streets. Better to be safe than sorry.

What's the point of this topic? Well, I was wondering if there was anyone on UP with City contacts, a large audience, petition experience or even a diplomatic personality who would be willing to spearhead LPI implementation at all (or at least major) intersections in the downtown/CBD area. I would try to do this myself, but I really don't have patience in dealing with people over common sense issues, especially when trying to "convince" the City about something that should already be widely implemented. There's just no excuse for this negligence, the cost to alter existing signals is nominal and the impact is significant (LPI's reduce pedestrian-vehicle collisions as much as 60% at treated intersections). Orlando is already known as one of the most dangerous cities for pedestrians.

LPI's really do work. The LPI at the Rosalind/Washington intersection now allows people to cross that intersection a little more safely especially in the dark at night (granted it's a measly 4 second head start to establish right of way in the crosswalk, but still).

If you're curious about how LPI's work, I found some videos that explain their usefulness:

• Like 2

I never said LPI's didn't exist though?? IIRC, the Colonial & Magnolia intersection LPI did not exist 3 years ago, but I could be wrong. What I'm asking for are more LPI's implemented especially along Orange & Rosalind. I regularly see near-misses between vehicles and pedestrians downtown especially during rush hour. I don't think a 5-7 delay is asking for too much in one of the most dangerous cities in the country for pedestrians.

Colonial and Magnolia is one now for sure. I have found they do them more at high-throughput streets, not all cross streets.  This probably is the balance they are talking about between delays and safety.  Planners are notoriously biased toward cars.  They probably are not going to implement them everywhere, but having them at some of the more dangerous and higher volume areas does help. 

A study by the makers of the app GasBuddy examined the 30 largest metropolitan areas by population, and concluded these 10 cities have the most aggressive drivers:

1. Los Angeles

2. Philadelphia

3. Sacramento, Calif.

4. Atlanta

5. San Francisco

6. San Diego

7. Orlando, Fla.

8. Detroit

9. Austin, Texas

10. Las Vegas

Here's the rest of the list:

11. Charlotte

12. Pittsburgh

13. Phoenix

14. Boston

15. Dallas-Fort Worth

16. Chicago

17. Miami-Fort Lauderdale

18. Baltimore

19. Tampa-St. Petersburg

20. Washington, D.C.

21. San Antonio

22. Houston

23. New York

24. Kansas City

25. St. Louis

26. Denver

27. Portland, Ore.

28. Cincinnati

29. Seattle

30. Minneapolis-St. Paul

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3137818002

Take that, NYC and Miami!!!!

I recall a bit of discussion about reconfiguring Robinson St along Lake Eola and putting in some kind of crosswalk.

Someone has started an online petition to get the city to make some changes there.

Just saw this on the news earlier Wednesday evening:

Possible realignment of Robinson with bicycle lane:

eolacrosswalk.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the petition:

Robinsonpetition.jpg

For anyone interested. 

• Thanks 1

Use Oak Ridge as an example; they can easily plop a lighted xwalk. Heck, make it a table xwalk. That's cheap and easy and takes 10 minutes and slows everyone down.

• Like 1

I'm the only person stopped at the enhanced crosswalk near my friend's home.  Everyone else just buzzes through.  I have been honked at least 4 times in the past few months.  It is blinking and someone is trying to cross and everyone blows through it.

Put it at Broadway and program it so that a certain amount of time must elapse before it can be activated again after the previous time in order to eliminate the possibility of pedestrians coming along and randomly stopping traffic every half a minute.

I’ve noticed over the last few weeks a lot more intersections in the CBD are utilizing LPIs. Maybe @nite owℓ‘s pleas have finally been heard ... ?

Specifically I’ve seen them at Orange/Livingston and maybe Orange/Jefferson. Nice to see the change.

• Like 1

Magnolia sort of has LPIs between the courthouse and DPAC - you just  have to know how to read the LYMMO signals ;)

• Haha 1

On 2/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

@nite owℓ‘s on the case. Charge On!

It's about time! I had nothing to do with the LPI expansion downtown, but if I had the power I would implement city-wide sweeping changes by royal decree ;). The people sitting in decision-making seats are just not doing enough when it comes to ped safety. I wouldn't be surprised if the LPI expansion was a general goal created by FDOT (or whichever governing dept) to be met by a certain deadline.

Meanwhile... the city has been busy coming up with groundbreaking, life-saving ideas like pizza box recycling bins - we literally pay someone $80k to come up with this shet.

• Like 1