BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

9 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

One more thing:

The law of supply and demand for real estate, and the effects of demographics on real estate demand, also apply in Greenville.  Greenville already has an oversupply of office real estate, and it has pretty crummy income/education level demographics particularly to the west of downtown. 

I'm surprised, given the crummy demographics west of downtown, that downtown has become so nice and with such nice stores.  At some point, though, reality is going to set in and with significant continued construction, we're going to have empty buildings in downtown and/or the suburbs.  I expect a hotel bust (or mini-bust) downtown and there could also be an office bust.

The same rules of real estate that led to 3 of Greenville's 4 malls closing also apply to other sectors, like office and hotel space.

Lots of experts in here. Forget the ones of us really out here working it. If you're not out here hands on it's hard to understand what's happening. Greenville will not fail. The leaders and business people know what they're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

Lots of experts in here. Forget the ones of us really out here working it. If you're not out here hands on it's hard to understand what's happening. Greenville will not fail. The leaders and business people know what they're doing.

Another thing....population estimates indicate Greenville,Spartanburg, & Anderson counties added over 16.5K (July 2016-17). The area is growing...not at a snail's pace. People are moving here....it's vibrant, affordable,  attractive, liveable, & desireable. I'm meeting people at Cabela's that have recently moved here from all over the country. This is not the same area as  10 years ago. We can remember failures of the past... we don't need to  dwell on them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Another thing....population estimates indicate Greenville,Spartanburg, & Anderson counties added over 16.5K (July 2016-17). The area is growing...not at a snail's pace. People are moving here....it's vibrant, affordable,  attractive, liveable, & desireable. I'm meeting people at Cabela's that have recently moved here from all over the country. This is not the same area as  10 years ago. We can remember failures of the past... we don't need to  dwell on them.

And those 3 counties now have over one million people and have added an estimated 90k in the last 7 years. While this is not a major metropolitan area, it is no longer a small area either. The tri county population will likely exceed 1.2 MM by 2030. 

22 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

My point exactly. If you're out there working in the market, you can see where this is coming from.

7 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Until the post quoted above, we were all trying to be respectful of each other.  Unfortunate to hear, “I know better than you because of X, Y and Z.”

I’ll save this thread and we can compare notes in 5-10 years about how the numerous hotels and office buildings are doing.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vistatiger said:

I agree. One big thing that didn't help also was the  consolidation of many of the department stores that anchored them and the explosion of freestanding big box stores. At one time Greenville had enough different dept. store companies to anchor 3 or 4 malls.

Yes. Suppose Dillards second store had been 10 or 15 miles away from Haywood Mall instead of a little over a mile away. A lot less likely they would have closed it, and IMO that was the biggest of several death blows to Greenville Mall. Here in Concord there's modest little Carolina Mall that keeps chugging along because there's nothing like it anywhere nearby (Concord Mills is a different animal, and is over 8 miles away). By every measure, GM was ridiculously superior to this mall, except for its proximity to HM.

To bring it back to this thread, distance from DT and location in fast-growing Mauldin in my amateur opinion gives Bridgeway Station a much higher probability of success.

I wonder, too, if a successful development might spur other means of relieving Woodruff Road of that dreadful traffic problem. One can only hope.

• Like 1

I think that all of us own property, and spend extensive time, in Greenville and also spend extensive time studying its real estate markets.  Many of us also work in the field of commercial real estate.

I'm not clear on why, for example, working as a Walmart greeter, or the like, and seeing people that way gives someone enhanced real estate expertise.  If someone does have enhanced real estate expertise due to, for example, working as a Walmart greeter, I would encourage the person to become a consultant on the side and sell his or her real estate expertise to real estate firms, as if that expertise has value, then there is a market for it.

4 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Until the post quoted above, we were all trying to be respectful of each other.  Unfortunate to hear, “I know better than you because of X, Y and Z.”

I’ll save this thread and we can compare notes in 5-10 years about how the numerous hotels and office buildings are doing.  

It's just as disrespectful to say that professionals who make a living doing this stuff don't know what they're talking about. It's essentially the same as saying a successful developer like Hughes doesn't know what they're doing. They definitely do. They have a finger on the pulse of this market. You aren't the first poster to think developers would fail, but yet they didn't. Happened with Riverplace too. How's it doing? Make a note of any post you want.

Edited by motonenterprises

17 minutes ago, motonenterprises said:

It's just as disrespectful to say that professionals who make a living doing this stuff don't know what they're talking about. It's essentially the same as saying a successful developer like Hughes doesn't know what they're doing. They definitely do. They have a finger on the pulse of this market. You aren't the first poster to think developers would fail, but yet they didn't. Happened with Riverplace too. How's it doing? Make a note of any post you want.

No, I never stated anything like what you post--to the contrary, I've expressly stated that Phil Hughes is excellent.  See above.  What I've stated is that in the aggregate, there is an excess of supply.  That's not critical of anyone in the business (which may include me); even people in the business make that statement.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

No, I never stated anything like what you post--to the contrary, I've expressly stated that Phil Hughes is excellent.  See above.  What I've stated is that in the aggregate, there is an excess of supply.  That's not critical of anyone in the business (which may include me); even people in the business make that statement.

Check messages. 

Message deleted.  I am not interested in engaging in private conversations; everything we say should be appropriate for public viewing.  EDITED TO ADD: My view is that if you're not comfortable having what you say or do published on the front page of the New York Times, don't say or do it.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

3 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Message deleted.  I am not interested in engaging in private conversations; everything we say should be appropriate for public viewing.  EDITED TO ADD: My view is that if you're not comfortable having what you say or do published on the front page of the New York Times, don't say or do it.

I was apologizing to you for coming off the wrong way. But maybe you're right. I shouldn't converse with you at all since you're acting funny. No problem. Seems ego driven.

Edited by motonenterprises

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A "supplier of automotive components, machine tools and mechatronics components" is considering building a 173,000-square-foot research and development facility at BridgeWay Station, said David Dyrhaug, Mauldin's economic development planner. 

Sounds like something that ICAR should have gotten. 

Yeah, these are tenants for the industrial portion of the development next to Samsung north of Holland Road (minus the office building portion announcement) which is separate from the mixed use component south of Holland Road.

Nice to see a new to market tenant for the office building going next to Charter instead of just a relocation from elsewhere in the area.