BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

37 minutes ago, gman said:

An Apple store is not just another store. It’s big time to have one in our great city.  That said, I use all Apple products and buy everything using their online store. It’s so easy to buy online. There is no need to visit a store. 

Too me it's just another store.  A niche store that not everyone uses. It's more for the ones that have gotten wrapped into the Apple cult. :thumbsup:  I wasn't one of those, so that may be why I feel that way.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:40 PM, distortedlogic said:

I totally get what you're saying, we won't be looking at a centuries old Italian village when it's done. However, I think the renderings look fantastic; and the renderings we are seeing aren't out of Italy, they were created for this development in Mauldin . But even if it's done on the cheap, I'd much rather have some cheap versions of architecture with classical features and character than another collection of cheap modern boxes. 

One of my favorite newer residential developments in Greenville is Ridgeland at the Park.  It is visually very attractive, incorporating mostly artificial products that emulate natural and historical design elements ( :whistling:even fixed faux shutters).  I believe BridgeWay Station can achieve similar attractiveness in its own way, given the scope of the master plan and fairly dense and dynamic urban layout.  I see some elements that make this project more appealing than many new urban communities.

Edited by Skyliner

24 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Why didn't they raise that buried concrete statue in first pic? Pretty clear from above it looks like a twin spire bridge to me.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they thought it was gonna look ugly and stupid...I agree.

• Haha 1

I agree with Mr. Hughes:

His goal with the property, through the help of architects McMillan Pazdan Smith, is elevation of beauty in community architecture.

“We decided to focus on the beauty,” he said. “It’s been a lost factor of modern development. One of the most beautiful places in the world, a lot of people say, that you can go is a small Italian village.”

Source

Finally an architect and developer who aren’t scared to take a bold risk. It’s almost like architects are only taught how to build the same thing in school now a days. How many four-six story wooden built boxy apartment buildings does this city, state, and country need? They’re boring to look at and will be outdated very quickly. Some people might find it cheesy and ugly but I commend Hughes and McMillan Pazdan Smith for doing something different in this area for once.

Oh and this what Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center, Shops at Gridlock, the Point and Crescent Place could have been like but nooo, the City of Greenville just had to cave to second rate projects by the developers. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gman430 said:

Finally an architect and developer who aren’t scared to take a bold risk. It’s almost like architects are only taught how to build the same thing in school now a days. How many four-six story wooden built boxy apartment buildings does this city, state, and country need? They’re boring to look at and will be outdated very quickly. Some people might find it cheesy and ugly but I commend Hughes and McMillan Pazdan Smith for doing something different in this area for once.

Oh and this what Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center, Shops at Gridlock, the Point and Crescent Place could have been like but nooo, the City of Greenville just had to cave to second rate projects by the developers. 

To be fair, Greenridge and Magnolia Park aren't architecturally ugly, but they do lack a quality urban layout that would have focused on pedestrians first and provided a sustainable blend of uses.  They are located on Woodruff Road, so they really needed to break the mold of ordinary suburban retail centers in this region.

That pedestrian-friendly new urban design would have been achieved if the McChesney Investment Advisors proposal for The Point (2007-ish) had fully developed.  The City of Greenville did approve and gave the developer the green light, but then the Great Recession changed everyone's plans.

BridgeWay Station could be the breakthrough, standard-raising, suburban development we have been missing in the Upstate.

Edited by Skyliner

The DRB does not review these type of projects. It is up to the developer to choose the layout and architecture.  

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

The Planning Commission???

They would only be involved if it needed a rezoning or the land was being subdivided. They might not be involved at all and even if they were, would not consider architecture and only layout in terms of traffic flow, egress, etc.     

• Thanks 2

On 4/12/2021 at 12:29 AM, gman430 said:

But even architects and developers have to bow to the idea of commercial appear and viability. Those bland boxes work for nearly every possible occasion and are cost effective. Do I like them...NO. Do they work...yes. Do I think this thing is going to age better than the bland boxes....not at all. It looks like a discounted version of Disney with out the rides.  

I think the idea of building more retail space at this point is also a bit crazy to me. We already can't fill what is out there...but we are going to build more...and its going to be bigger and better. Anyone live in Greenville longenough to recall what happened to Laurens Rd? It was replaced by Woodruff...and for over a decade was an eyeseore and to some extent it still is. So now we build this...and the migration will continue. I just don't see the need to bring in more retail or commercial space as this point. Thats just an opinion and only worth the paper its written on.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anyone live in Greenville long enough to recall what happened to Laurens Rd? It was replaced by Woodruff...and for over a decade was an eyesore and to some extent it still is.

This was indeed the case.  Laurens Road was packed at four lanes then they widened it to six lanes. Then almost as soon as that finished, the Walmart moved to Woodruff Rd and the traffic count dropped immediately on Laurens, and Woodruff which was still  three lanes got more crowded.  We keep pushing further out into greenfields while the older ring of retail fades and goes vacant.  Every penny spent to widen Laurens was a total waste of money.    

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

This was indeed the case.  Laurens Road was packed at four lanes then they widened it to six lanes. Then almost as soon as that finished, the Walmart moved to Woodruff Rd and the traffic count dropped immediately on Laurens, and Woodruff which was still  three lanes got more crowded.  We keep pushing further out into greenfields while the older ring of retail fades and goes vacant.  Every penny spent to widen Laurens was a total waste of money.    

Well, maybe if Verdae and Simon would get off their rear ends we could see retail return to the city instead of continuing to move to the suburbs. Can’t blame Hughes for taking action while these other companies just sit there looking half stupid. 

Edited by gman430

7 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

I disagree that Laurens Rd isn't busy. I travel it almost daily and it always has it's fair share of traffic.

I agree. Made a left turn the other day and took forever,  Some  were probably not around to see when it was four lanes or still in diapers. Safer now. Further out from  85 to Mauldin needs to be widened now. Getting worse by day.

Edited by vistatiger

4 hours ago, vistatiger said:

I agree. Made a left turn the other day and took forever,  Some  were probably not around to see when it was four lanes or still in diapers. Safer now. Further out from  85 to Mauldin needs to be widened now. Getting worse by day.

It definitely needed it when it was DONE, but it certainly doesn't need it now, the Woodruff to I-85 section I mean.  After Walmart left, Sam's and several other places left as well. 

55 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

It definitely needed it when it was DONE, but it certainly doesn't need it now, the Woodruff to I-85 section I mean.  After Walmart left, Sam's and several other places left as well. 

I always thought the Sam's Club/Best Buy combo on Laurens contributed to the traffic much more than that small Walmart.

Kmart moved into that Walmart when they left. I heard  Walmart  regretted not keeping that location for a smaller format one in addition to  Woodruff Rd. They also considered converting the former Sam's Club on Laurens Rd. into a Walmart in the early 00's similar to the one they built on Pelham.

Edited by vistatiger