BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

16 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I always thought the Sam's Club/Best Buy combo on Laurens contributed to the traffic much more than that small Walmart.

Kmart moved into that Walmart when they left. I heard  Walmart  regretted not keeping that location for a smaller format one in addition to  Woodruff Rd. They also considered converting the former Sam's Club on Laurens Rd. into a Walmart in the early 00's similar to the one they built on Pelham.

I couldn't remember what the other big store was, it was Best Buy, which at the time was a pretty popular place.  As I recall the traffic declined after Walmart left but once Sam's and Best Buy left too, it really dropped off to where it is now.  Now it seems auto dealers are the only thing there.  I would much rather this corridor return to viability than lose a greenfield at Bridgeway for a competing retail center.  The Nicholtown gentrification would support that option as well.  Plus Laurens is close enough to the Haywood  Mall area that they could synergize each other.  Throw the aftermath of Covid and the continuing rise of online shopping and that is all the more reason to do so.               

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I couldn't remember what the other big store was, it was Best Buy, which at the time was a pretty popular place.  As I recall the traffic declined after Walmart left but once Sam's and Best Buy left too, it really dropped off to where it is now.  Now it seems auto dealers are the only thing there.  I would much rather this corridor return to viability than lose a greenfield at Bridgeway for a competing retail center.  The Nicholtown gentrification would support that option as well.  Plus Laurens is close enough to the Haywood  Mall area that they could synergize each other.  Throw the aftermath of Covid and the continuing rise of online shopping and that is all the more reason to do so.               

Yep. It was Best Buy, Sam's and a large freestanding Goody's clothing store. Also a Murphy gas station in front of Sam's . All that cleared away for a new shopping center that so far has not developed.

2 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Yep. It was Best Buy, Sam's and a large freestanding Goody's clothing store. Also a Murphy gas station in front of Sam's . All that cleared away for a new shopping center that so far has not developed.

Boston Marketplace which became Jack in the Box also got demolished there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Danmire said:

What's the plan for improving access to this development?  E. Butler Road exit off of 385 is already bad, with backup between those trying to get onto 385 and those exiting.  This has the potential to turn that up to 11.

Remember: this is going to be walkable. Especially that plaza with zero trees. :lol: The glamorizing of this development is hilarious.

At least it IS mixed-use, but the final mixture of uses will determine how sustainable it will be in reality, and that remains to be seen for most of us. Traffic will be terrible. 

Edited by GvilleSC

54 minutes ago, Danmire said:

What's the plan for improving access to this development?  E. Butler Road exit off of 385 is already bad, with backup between those trying to get onto 385 and those exiting.  This has the potential to turn that up to 11.

LOL. The SCDOT can’t even fix potholes. You expect them to improve access here? Keep dreaming.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Site grading by Strange Bros is complete and foundation work is now underway by the general contractor Harper Corp.: 

http://www.greenvillebusinessmag.com/2021/06/03/358497/bridgeway-station-town-center-to-set-a-new-growth-standard-for-s-c-cities

In the next 17-19 months, Phase I alone will feature six buildings, ranging from four stories to 10 stories, and carry a total build-out price tag of more than $150 million.

More than 1,000 new jobs are expected to be created in just the first phase, and thousands of other jobs will also follow in later phases.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

^^ Is this a local relocation or a relocation from out of region/state? 

Sounds like it would be a good fit for ICAR. I guess ICAR will continue to flounder while Bridgeway gets all the new tenants coming here, to the detriment of everything that was here before them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

^^ Is this a local relocation or a relocation from out of region/state? 

Sounds like it would be a good fit for ICAR. I guess ICAR will continue to flounder while Bridgeway gets all the new tenants coming here, to the detriment of everything that was here before them. 

local: https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/press-releases/dodge-bearings-and-power-transmission-announces-relocation-of-headquarters-to-bridgeway-station-in-mauldin/article_b925aa58-d60a-56e7-86e4-7c0a6381b723.html

Edited by gman430

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Going off the concrete pads, it definitely looks like more buildings are going to get built in phase 1 then what the site plan shows. If this project was in the City of Greenville it would be cancelled for a Walmart. 

Maybe its a Mauldin IKEA.  :rofl:

10 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Ahh, they’re laying out and about to pour their tilt up construction. Just like how Italy was constructed. :yawn:

Still will be better looking and more of a mixed use development than Verdae, Haywood Mall, The Point, Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center, and Shops at Gridlock which are all located in the City of Greenville by the way.

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Still will be better looking and more of a mixed use development than Verdae, Haywood Mall, The Point, Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center, and Shops at Gridlock which are all located in the City of Greenville by the way.

IF the suburban market can support it and the vision is fully realized, it will be mixed use. Thus far, we have a couple of stand alone office buildings that will not blend with their new Italian aesthetic. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

IF the suburban market can support it and the vision is fully realized, it will be mixed use. Thus far, we have a couple of stand alone office buildings that will not blend with their new Italian aesthetic. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. 

If I were a betting man, my money is on the developer. He has a track record for getting things done. The population growth will support it. Can't wait to see the finished product.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Betting on suburban sprawl is a pretty safe bet.

While it is in the suburbs I am not sure what more can be done looking at the site plan posted below to make it more of a mixed use development. :dontknow: It’s not like Hughes decided to cancel the mixed use plans just to make way for a Costco and Cabela’s.  The site wasn’t going to sit empty forever either. Mauldin is a fast growing area and Hughes is in the business to make money. 

107EFAEA-6555-4475-AD9E-CC676DE4A446.jpeg

Edited by gman430