BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

16 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

I always thought the Sam's Club/Best Buy combo on Laurens contributed to the traffic much more than that small Walmart.

Kmart moved into that Walmart when they left. I heard  Walmart  regretted not keeping that location for a smaller format one in addition to  Woodruff Rd. They also considered converting the former Sam's Club on Laurens Rd. into a Walmart in the early 00's similar to the one they built on Pelham.

I couldn't remember what the other big store was, it was Best Buy, which at the time was a pretty popular place.  As I recall the traffic declined after Walmart left but once Sam's and Best Buy left too, it really dropped off to where it is now.  Now it seems auto dealers are the only thing there.  I would much rather this corridor return to viability than lose a greenfield at Bridgeway for a competing retail center.  The Nicholtown gentrification would support that option as well.  Plus Laurens is close enough to the Haywood  Mall area that they could synergize each other.  Throw the aftermath of Covid and the continuing rise of online shopping and that is all the more reason to do so.               

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep. Infinitely better than Alofts "Cinder Blocks R Us" or the 50 things going up downtown that scream "Self Storage of America. " So glad someone is thinking outside the box and putting up something

I understand some of the skepticism (not the unwarranted ridicule), but keep in mind BridgeWay Station was not proposed as a simply ordinary suburban retail center, but is a planned mixed-use communit

When you're here, in Mauldin, you're family. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I couldn't remember what the other big store was, it was Best Buy, which at the time was a pretty popular place.  As I recall the traffic declined after Walmart left but once Sam's and Best Buy left too, it really dropped off to where it is now.  Now it seems auto dealers are the only thing there.  I would much rather this corridor return to viability than lose a greenfield at Bridgeway for a competing retail center.  The Nicholtown gentrification would support that option as well.  Plus Laurens is close enough to the Haywood  Mall area that they could synergize each other.  Throw the aftermath of Covid and the continuing rise of online shopping and that is all the more reason to do so.               

Yep. It was Best Buy, Sam's and a large freestanding Goody's clothing store. Also a Murphy gas station in front of Sam's . All that cleared away for a new shopping center that so far has not developed.

2 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Yep. It was Best Buy, Sam's and a large freestanding Goody's clothing store. Also a Murphy gas station in front of Sam's . All that cleared away for a new shopping center that so far has not developed.

Boston Marketplace which became Jack in the Box also got demolished there.

• Like 1

I understand some of the skepticism (not the unwarranted ridicule), but keep in mind BridgeWay Station was not proposed as a simply ordinary suburban retail center, but is a planned mixed-use community (moreso than Verdae) with an attractive and accessible urban design.  This property should raise the bar for future suburban developments around Greenville, or at least stand as an example of much better design outside of downtown.

Woodruff Road has not worked as well as we may think.  The headaches and limitations that keep many people away from Woodruff Road today have been felt elsewhere in the metropolitan area and beyond.  Development along the corridor is disconnected, unfriendly/unsafe for pedestrians, and lacks a sustainably integrated residential component.  Haywood Road and Laurens Road faced a similar dilemma decades ago thanks to their single-use, car-dependent, random sprawling layout.  A growing number of other Upstate roads have experienced equivalent problems more recently, and the cycle is likely to continue to the end of our days on Earth.

We can hope for well-planned new urban communities to "slow the spread" of poorly-planned suburbia.  We should also take advantage of opportunities to properly revitalize our vacant and ailing former commercial corridors at the same time.

Regarding architectural design, as stated earlier in this thread, BridgeWay Station is a real breath of fresh air, in my opinion.  It has the potential to attract and inspire many people of different ages and backgrounds.  It may seem like a cheap copy to some, but it will also be a place for countless others to create lasting memories.  I recall numerous out-of-the-way trips to visit a truly cheap imitation of a small Bavarian village called, Helen, Georgia.  The quality of building materials there may not gain the approval of some well-traveled individuals, but that little town was visually attractive and typically bustling with enthusiastic people of all ages.  I collected and retained fond memories from that unique place.  My interest in photography may have at least some roots there.  I do not expect BridgeWay Station to imitate the broad appeal of Helen, but eventually it may be remembered as artistically inspiring, like Helen.

Edited by Skyliner
Typo
  • Thanks 4

What's the plan for improving access to this development?  E. Butler Road exit off of 385 is already bad, with backup between those trying to get onto 385 and those exiting.  This has the potential to turn that up to 11.

45 minutes ago, Danmire said:

What's the plan for improving access to this development?  E. Butler Road exit off of 385 is already bad, with backup between those trying to get onto 385 and those exiting.  This has the potential to turn that up to 11.

Remember: this is going to be walkable. Especially that plaza with zero trees. :lol: The glamorizing of this development is hilarious.

At least it IS mixed-use, but the final mixture of uses will determine how sustainable it will be in reality, and that remains to be seen for most of us. Traffic will be terrible. 

Edited by GvilleSC
54 minutes ago, Danmire said:

LOL. The SCDOT can’t even fix potholes. You expect them to improve access here? Keep dreaming.

• Haha 2