BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

It was going to be built on eventually, sure. But this is where we should be building in the 2030's. We have vast swaths of land that are vacant or under utilized that ideally should be developed/redeveloped first.  That won't likely happen because the cheap alternative this provides.  They were urbanized long ago and already had more infrastructure in place. Anything going there would not need taxpayer subsidies to build new infrastructure. ICAR is not even 1/6 built out, yet an automotive business is going to Mauldin instead. We have a brand new master plan to densify and develop South DT but now that has to compete with cheap land and surface parking lots (initially at least). 

We are growing significantly but our consumption of land is significantly higher still.  Why not densify and develop the land closer to the core city rather than develop yet another greenfield?  Save that greenfield for the net decade or two out. 

• Thanks 2

Are you referring to ABB/Dodge? Nothing we build is automotive related. We build motorized torque arms for conveyor systems: https://new.abb.com/mechanical-power-transmission/gearing/motorized-torque-arm-reducer The biggest industries we supply are in the aggregate and agriculture field.

I don’t see why south downtown and other areas in the city limits of Greenville can’t develop while Bridgeway Station does. I feel like the metro area is big enough and they’re far enough apart where they should be able to complement rather than compete with each other. Sounds like Georgetown has a lot of interest for County Square going off their statements. Georgetown is a lot bigger of a company than Hughes so they definitely have the power to get the development fully built out and leased. Maybe they can land a big headquarters like Synnex. United Community Bank didn’t pick the suburbs for their new headquarters so there’s always that chance. Can’t forget that Verdae has a ton of stuff under construction right now and a lot of developments on Laurens Road are moving forward also. 

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

Glad to hear ABB is not automotive.  This project has already robbed DT of BB&T. They already owned their building and could have just renovated the building they already owned.   DT has struggled to get new office users as it is. Having still more local competition isn't going to help.  Post-Covid office user may be permanently reduced as well.

3 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Glad to hear ABB is not automotive.  This project has already robbed DT of BB&T. They already owned their building and could have just renovated the building they already owned.   DT has struggled to get new office users as it is. Having still more local competition isn't going to help.  Post-Covid office user may be permanently reduced as well.

This area can handle growth in any area of the county. There is no area of the county that owns projects. We should be thrilled when a large project goes foward, no matter where it is located. We can walk and chew gum at the same time. 

11 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

BB&T isn’t located at this project. They relocated to Butler Road and I-385. Bridgeway Station is located at Bridges Road and I-385. Hughes had nothing to do with that. I agree that it still sucks they left downtown though. 

Maybe some of the empty office space downtown should be converted into apartments and condos. Conversions like that seem to have worked well in other downtowns. Greenville has no trouble filling new office space downtown. ONE and Camperdown are 100% leased. It’s the old office space especially of the Class B and C variety that seems to be a problem getting leased.

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

I'm betting on the developer who I know gets things done. I've talked to him several times. He does his research.

I don't doubt that it will be successful. But it will be at the expense of already developed areas that continue to sit fallow.  Millions of tax dollars went into those areas and millions more will go into this one (and this would not be happening without that) . Creating sprawl while there is still plenty of already buildable areas. Just doesn't make sense to me. The county built a industrial park decades ago on the I-185 toll road and it is largely vacant too.  I still see vacant land at Verdae and Laurens Road has sat vacant for while awhile as well. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, vicupstate said:

I don't doubt that it will be successful. But it will be at the expense of already developed areas that continue to sit fallow.  Millions of tax dollars went into those areas and millions more will go into this one (and this would not be happening without that) . Creating sprawl while there is still plenty of already buildable areas. Just doesn't make sense to me. The county built a industrial park decades ago on the I-185 toll road and it is largely vacant too.  I still see vacant land at Verdae and Laurens Road has sat vacant for while awhile as well. 

As an investor myself, of course on a much smaller level. We are going to do what gives us the biggest discount to make more profit. This is no different. I'm just glad it's happening.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:54 PM, GvilleSC said:

Ahh, they’re laying out and about to pour their tilt up construction. Just like how Italy was constructed. :yawn:

Oh sweet - and thanks for the photos Gman430! Excited to see the next round of photos.

For anyone interested, here’s a good video showing the tilt-up process:

https://www.korteco.com/construction-industry-articles/basics-tilt-construction/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, hauntedheadnc said:

What are all those things that look like ready-made facade pieces?  Those cut outs look like windows and doors, like the whole front of the building just needs to be raised up in one piece.

Exactly what it is -- it's tilt-up construction. They pour the concrete on the ground and will erect it in place. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, SVL said:

I saw what appeared to be a couple of truck mounted cranes here when I drove by on Sunday. They may be ready to start tilting these slabs up. 

I'm excited to see this go up. I know some don't like it but I am ecstatic to see something outside the dime a dozen modern boxes ALL OVER Greenville. Not necessarily this, but I really wish we could have seen a better plan with good architecture for Camperdown and especially County Square.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cabelagent said:

Needs a Leaning Tower of Pizza as a tourist attraction…

For sure! They could definitely charge for views of nearby suburban tract housing. 

Maybe Dominos and Olive Garden will open flagship locations on opposite sides of the plaza to serve as anchors. The excitement builds!!!

• Haha 1