BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

Funny how people complain about the architecture of this but you don’t hear a peep about this ugly crap going up downtown: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/10/06/greenville-sc-147-senior-apartments-proposed-southernside-unity-park/5923605001/ :sick: A two year old could design buildings better than that. 

Edited by gman430

18 hours ago, gman430 said:

Funny how people complain about the architecture of this but you don’t hear a peep about this ugly crap going up downtown: 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2021/10/06/greenville-sc-147-senior-apartments-proposed-southernside-unity-park/5923605001/ :sick: A two year old could design buildings better than that. 

Why complain?  Bland modernism is the name of the game for about ninety percent of what's been built inside the city Greenville in the past twenty years.  Just ask people who live near paper mills and sewage treatment plants, and they'll tell you -- You can get used to anything after a while.  But I'm with you... I wish Greenville would either take a page from Spartanburg's book and raise some really high-quality neo-traditional architecture, or I wish it would attract some really daring modern architecture.  The middle of the road is boring and architecture is not one of Greenville's strong points.

(For what it's worth, overly twee, precious attempts at nostalgia are the name of the game for what's been built outside the teensy incorporated city of Greenville in the past twenty years.)

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

The architectural design is not final nor has it been approved. Affordable housing typically is not  going to push the envelope on  design and finishes either.

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

I don't find this totally ugly. It has a 1960's and 70's look to it. I am just happy that it doesnt have the stupid saucers on top or the crazy over. I also second the idea that affordable housing is not going to push the envelop too much even though when I read the prices I did wonder how on earth that was considered affordable for people on a limited income. 

The exaggerated complaints about the architecture within the City of Greenville are funny. There are some really great RECENT designs from across the spectrum, including the Peace Center renovation, Main @ Falls Park Drive, 121 Rhett, Grand Bohemian, Greenville County admin bldg, all of the buildings at CU-ICAR's tech neighborhood I, the ONE development (excluding the Aloft building), etc. There's also some really interesting housing going up, including The Hub on Pete Hollis, and the Norden on Stone. You're never going to please everyone, but the crying over the boring nature of all things Greenville is just a blind eye toward what we actually do have.

• Like 4

On 10/6/2021 at 1:01 PM, gman430 said:

That is just pure hideousness. You can't tell me a better looking building couldn't be designed for the same budget.

11 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

Why complain?  Bland modernism is the name of the game for about ninety percent of what's been built inside the city Greenville in the past twenty years.  Just ask people who live near paper mills and sewage treatment plants, and they'll tell you -- You can get used to anything after a while.  But I'm with you... I wish Greenville would either take a page from Spartanburg's book and raise some really high-quality neo-traditional architecture, or I wish it would attract some really daring modern architecture.  The middle of the road is boring and architecture is not one of Greenville's strong points.

(For what it's worth, overly twee, precious attempts at nostalgia are the name of the game for what's been built outside the teensy incorporated city of Greenville in the past twenty years.)

Spartanburg also isn't building or growing near as fast as Greenville. I like the things going here.

10 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Spartanburg also isn't building or growing near as fast as Greenville. I like the things going here.

I think the sprawl-a-rama that makes up the vast majority of the metro area is proof enough that fast growth and buildings lots of things isn't a good thing unless you've got high standards for it to adhere to.  I've yet to hear anyone wax rhapsodic about Woodruff Road.  That being said I like Greenville as well, and I like the things going on here.  However, I don't think Greenville has done, or is doing, itself any favors with the "any old box will do" mentality toward urban growth.  I think Greenville has enough of a cachet about it to demand better and land projects that will actively increase its appeal, rather than the continual parade of projects drawn by its appeal but which don't contribute to it aesthetically.  Greenville is in the position to demand really eye-catching projects.  It is not a city that has to accept whatever developers -- who are generally a very lazy bunch when it comes to design -- want to give it.  

Note: When I talk about plain boxes, I'm mainly referring to the slew of apartment and condo buildings in and near downtown.  Take a good look : They all pretty much look the same and none of them are particularly interesting.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

I think the sprawl-a-rama that makes up the vast majority of the metro area is proof enough that fast growth and buildings lots of things isn't a good thing unless you've got high standards for it to adhere to.  I've yet to hear anyone wax rhapsodic about Woodruff Road.  That being said I like Greenville as well, and I like the things going on here.  However, I don't think Greenville has done, or is doing, itself any favors with the "any old box will do" mentality toward urban growth.  I think Greenville has enough of a cachet about it to demand better and land projects that will actively increase its appeal, rather than the continual parade of projects drawn by its appeal but which don't contribute to it aesthetically.  Greenville is in the position to demand really eye-catching projects.  It is not a city that has to accept whatever developers -- who are generally a very lazy bunch when it comes to design -- want to give it.  

Note: When I talk about plain boxes, I'm mainly referring to the slew of apartment and condo buildings in and near downtown.  Take a good look : They all pretty much look the same and none of them are particularly interesting.  

Those so called eye catching developments will come when the time is right? Some of the developments going on now look pretty good though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Those so called eye catching developments will come when the time is right? Some of the developments going on now look pretty good though.

No. Look at Charlotte: Developers are happy to just upend the jug and pour out the mediocrity as long as a community is willing to let them.

3 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

No. Look at Charlotte: Developers are happy to just upend the jug and pour out the mediocrity as long as a community is willing to let them.

Well, it IS Charlotte. I hope we never become that, and I appreciate the City learning from the lessons that they witnessed from developments that have been approved.

I’d rather have a city that is learning from mistakes than saying ‘well, we’ve established a precedent, let it fly!’ Greenville is working on its 2040 plan and has had multiple public input sessions, in addition to its multiplying small area plans. The time is ripe for your voice to be heard. Make a difference and get off the internet with your concerns. 

9 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

I happen to like Charlotte's buildings. I like modern.

I happen to think Charlotte is aggressively bland, soulless, and easily the most mediocre major city in America, in large part because at least a good ninety percent of their historic architecture was destroyed in successive waves of urban renewal, and what replaced it is a forest of anonymous, interchangeable glass boxes. I'll grant you that uptown Charlotte looks nice from a distance, but the street presence is abysmal, consisting mostly of blank walls, bank lobbies, and bars. There is next to no retail, so Charlotte fails in form and function alike. 

That being said, what saves Greenville is that downtown is a shopping destination, and it has an unbeatable natural attraction right in the middle. Plus, the city has done everything in its power to play up the "city of water" theme with fountains everywhere and relevant art that is not of the pointless "Look, here's some art!" Charlotte corporate plaza variety. That being the case,  Greenville has enough clout to demand better and more interesting work from developers. What it's getting is okay,  but usually not all that interesting from a design perspective even if the form is great. I mean, really the only two new buildings downtown that aren't blandly modern are the federal courthouse and the Grand Bohemian. 

Edited by hauntedheadnc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, hauntedheadnc said:

I happen to think Charlotte is aggressively bland, soulless, and easily the most mediocre major city in America, in large part because at least a good ninety percent of their historic architecture was destroyed in successive waves of urban renewal, and what replaced it is a forest of anonymous, interchangeable glass boxes. I'll grant you that uptown Charlotte looks nice from a distance, but the street presence is abysmal, consisting mostly of blank walls, bank lobbies, and bars. There is next to no retail, so Charlotte fails in form and function alike. 

That being said, what saves Greenville is that downtown is a shopping destination, and it has an unbeatable natural attraction right in the middle. Plus, the city has done everything in its power to play up the "city of water" theme with fountains everywhere and relevant art that is not of the pointless "Look, here's some art!" Charlotte corporate plaza variety. That being the case,  Greenville has enough clout to demand better and more interesting work from developers. What it's getting is okay,  but usually not all that interesting from a design perspective even if the form is great. I mean, really the only two new buildings downtown that aren't blandly modern are the federal courthouse and the Grand Bohemian. 

All of this is subjective at best. You may not like Charlotte, but they're doing something right. People have been flocking there for the last decade. My choice is Greenville, but nothing wrong with Charlotte. I like the things they've done with transit like the light rail and the true electric trolley that runs there.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, motonenterprises said:

All of this is subjective at best. You may not like Charlotte, but they're doing something right. People have been flocking there for the last decade. My choice is Greenville, but nothing wrong with Charlotte. I like the things they've done with transit like the light rail and the true electric trolley that runs there.

Likewise your opinions are subjective -- opinions do have that quality about them.  That being said, yes, Charlotte is doing something right... but so is Atlanta, another place Greenville says it does not want to be like, while doing everything in its power to be like, what with rapacious badly-planned growth.  And there are some aspects of what I talked about that are objective.  For instance, central Charlotte is not a shopping destination and its urban form at the street level is awful, however nice the skyline looks from afar.  Greenville has better downtown shopping and better urban form, especially on Main Street.  Also, Charlotte has objectively destroyed the vast majority of its historic stock, whereas Greenville has preserved a lot of its old mills, parts of old mills, and mill villages and has made unique assets out of them.

My point here is that Greenville has enough clout, and thankfully has managed to avoid enough pitfalls that cities like Charlotte fell into, that it could exert some control over the design process if it wanted.  It does not have to accept whatever developers give it, but it has, and most of what developers have given it all looks the same.  New buildings in Greenville tend to be large, blocky, squat, and blandly modern, this in a city that already lacked a large stock of distinctive historic buildings downtown.  But what saves Greenville is that even the buildings tend to be dull, the urban form is outstanding, which is half the reason downtown is so successful -- with the other half being the natural resources.  Combine good urban form, and a waterfall and you have a city that could demand better when it comes to design.  

And regarding light rail... Yeah, wouldn't that be nice?  It will never happen here, but wouldn't it be nice to have this entire sprawling region tied together?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gman430 said:

Wow that's a big get for this development.

Wasn't familiar with "Southern Kitchen", looks a little bit different than Poogan's Porch or Smokehouse.  Almost reminds me of a Tupelo Honey. Seems like a good fit for an upscale "suburb" mixed use area.

https://www.pooganskitchen.com/bridgeway-station/

Edited by NewlyUpstate

On 11/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, cabelagent said:

What's the timeframe for road improvements surrounding it?  I know some are scheduled & necessary for Holland & Bridges....would this contribute to delay of the development?

I posed above questions over 2 years ago...concrete plans and actual construction with necessary road improvements in the vicinity are apparently on the very back burner. Oh well  :(

Edited by cabelagent

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Erwin reveals full plans for $39M county-owned Greenville Triumph stadium in Mauldin

It would seat more than 8,000 fans, bring sports tournaments from across the region and be home to the Greenville Triumph Soccer Club. That's the proposal for a new stadium in Greenville County from team owner and chairman Joe Erwin.

The $38.6 million stadium in Mauldin would be owned by Greenville County, blend with the architectural style of nearby BridgeWay Station and bring $270 million in economic development in its first decade of use, Erwin said.

---

• $38.6 million stadium
  • 6 acres near I-385 at BridgeWay Station in Mauldin
  • 8,100 seats
  • 150+ events every year
  • Triumph maintains facility and pays $350,000 annual lease for 30 years

4615d8df-3fa5-468f-91c0-ec49a2c0b009-600_42---photo-highres-with-mp.jpg

203ba761-bae2-49a4-add4-049012e9891e-Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

• Thanks 3

I strongly suspected this stadium would be proposed near BridgeWay Station, but didn't quite expect it to be as large as it's currently proposed. BridgeWay may be quite the town center to live in with this multi-purpose stadium, direct access to the SWT, and hopefully a plethora of excellent retail/restaurant options. 

• Like 2