BridgeWay Station mixed use development-Mauldin, SC

gman430

54 minutes ago, Skyliner said:

BridgeWay Station in Mauldin:

Screenshot_20210409-102515-01.thumb.jpeg.f2c3f4c07d1319b027f6c786132d3f1a.jpeg

Downtown Greenville:

2693c46a945c721ee673b353ba9d51e1-01.jpeg.59b5d18701911a171778c08a386b8664.jpeg

No "Disney" anywhere here.  Not even Carowinds, Six Flags, or Dollywood.

No comparison; and you chose one of the nicer looking modern boxes from downtown to compare it to.  I guess a lot of people don't want any character or creativity in the county?  :dontknow:Different strokes I guess but I am excited about this one. Maybe it will inspire some better architecture for County Square.

• Like 1

Given the Charter building, the BB&T building across the interstate, the new Spec building they completed and the existing GHS warehouse, I am surprised they went in this direction. The original plans meshed with those buildings and still looked good or even great, IMO.

If this is mostly residential with a supporting base of retail and only a modest amount of office space, then perhaps it will not over saturate the market.   

https://greenvillejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BridgeWay-Station_Groundbreaking-marketing-package.pdf

If you watch the top picture load after you click on this link I think you can get a better idea of what this will look like as it shows much more detail and realistic coloring. It looks like non patterned bricking with dark wooden doors and cobblestone streets. I am LOVING this! :wub:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

https://greenvillejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/BridgeWay-Station_Groundbreaking-marketing-package.pdf

If you watch the top picture load after you click on this link I think you can get a better idea of what this will look like as it shows much more detail and realistic coloring. It looks like non patterned bricking with dark wooden doors and cobblestone streets. I am LOVING this! :wub:

I will agree that if the majority of the development turns out like that first pic, it will be a winner.  I let the Arc de Terrible set my mood for taking in the project the first time I looked at these new renderings. 

It is also disappointing that the buildout gman shared still has around 50% surface parking.

32 minutes ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

I will agree that if the majority of the development turns out like that first pic, it will be a winner.  I let the Arc de Terrible set my mood for taking in the project the first time I looked at these new renderings. 

It is also disappointing that the buildout gman shared still has around 50% surface parking.

All of that parking are actually garages not surface parking. The only exception is the parking lot behind Charter which currently exists. You can see more renderings here also: https://www.bridgewaystation.com/about

46 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Good catch. This will look fantastic if it’s built like that: 

66E697C5-AAD4-47A1-846A-2B0F901A83A9.jpeg

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s an older but very similar and higher quality site plan pic where you can see the difference between the surface parking behind Charter and the garages located throughout the rest of the project. Notice the stairwell/elevator shafts on the outer edges of the garages. 

3E7C0773-9C7F-4842-B004-9F64B0F52FE8.jpe

Edited by gman430

28 minutes ago, gman430 said:

66E697C5-AAD4-47A1-846A-2B0F901A83A9.jpeg

The inspirational images pulled straight out of Italy are beautiful. What we are seeing in those are layers and layers of textures. It's a very tactile experience to walk, sit, and experience those spaces with all 5 senses. What WILL get built in Mauldin is going to lack that depth. We don't build things with the same outdated construction methods (a 24" thick wall to hold up a structure, for example). Those splintering wooden window frames with peeling paint and OPERABLE shutters that actually get opened and closed DAILY are going to be translated into a very flat facade made out of stucco, applied veneer stone, smooth aluminum clad windows/storefront systems, fixed-in-place vinyl shutters, and smooth pavers/ stamped concrete/ asphalt in lieu of cobbled stones. 

At the end of the day, these apartments are not going to be charging DECA prices, and their pro forma (and thus their building materials) is absolutely going to match that reality. It is one thing to build beautiful buildings like 121 Rhett Street and Grand Bohemian Hotel in Downtown Greenville where prices will permit a higher return on your investment. The images that the excited ones are conjuring up in their heads are not consistent with reality (or even the actual renderings we have been provided). This is STILL the suburbs, directly adjacent to the interstate. Let us revisit this exact topic in 24 months. 

Edited by GvilleSC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

When I spoke to these guys a year and a half ago or so they told me that the initial phases would be supported by surface parking and then over time the surface parking would be replaced with garages as density increases.  This plan looks very similar to what I saw so I would still expect that if successful that over time the surface lots will go away.

1 hour ago, GvilleSC said:

The inspirational images pulled straight out of Italy are beautiful. What we are seeing in those are layers and layers of textures. It's a very tactile experience to walk, sit, and experience those spaces with all 5 senses. What WILL get built in Mauldin is going to lack that depth. We don't build things with the same outdated construction methods (a 24" thick wall to hold up a structure, for example). Those splintering wooden window frames with peeling paint and OPERABLE shutters that actually get opened and closed DAILY are going to be translated into a very flat facade made out of stucco, applied veneer stone, smooth aluminum clad windows/storefront systems, fixed-in-place vinyl shutters, and smooth pavers/ stamped concrete/ asphalt in lieu of cobbled stones. 

At the end of the day, these apartments are not going to be charging DECA prices, and their pro forma (and thus their building materials) is absolutely going to match that reality. It is one thing to build beautiful buildings like 121 Rhett Street and Grand Bohemian Hotel in Downtown Greenville where prices will permit a higher return on your investment. The images that the excited ones are conjuring up in their heads are not consistent with reality (or even the actual renderings we have been provided). This is STILL the suburbs, directly adjacent to the interstate. Let us revisit this exact topic in 24 months. 

I totally get what you're saying, we won't be looking at a centuries old Italian village when it's done. However, I think the renderings look fantastic; and the renderings we are seeing aren't out of Italy, they were created for this development in Mauldin . But even if it's done on the cheap, I'd much rather have some cheap versions of architecture with classical features and character than another collection of cheap modern boxes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

This is exciting and beautiful. Does anyone else think it's odd that there is no mention of Mauldin in the package? I guess the leaders of Mauldin are okay with only Greenville being highlighted? 

8 hours ago, gman said:

This is exciting and beautiful. Does anyone else think it's odd that there is no mention of Mauldin in the package? I guess the leaders of Mauldin are okay with only Greenville being highlighted? 

Why shouldn't they be? It's a Greenville suburb. That's the only reason it's seeing this type of stuff.

Edited by motonenterprises

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Why insult our intelligence over a petty disagreement?  We know exactly what we see and we know the reality of this project's limitations.  We also know that everything under construction in downtown is no different when referring to artificial façades.  Actually, this is true of everything under construction in the Upstate, but the primary differences between "visually bland" and "visually beautiful" are the aesthetic architectural details (aka "curb appeal").  I would love every new building to look attractive AND incorporate only the highest quality natural products, but this is impossible, even in Greenville's downtown area.  Looking beyond commercial and multi-family residential development, virtually every new house has been designed and built using prefabricated artificial products that emulate authentic natural and/or historical products.  People invest much of their lives in these places, often renovating them to fit an aesthetic lifestyle preference.  I see little reason to condemn a developer for choosing extraordinary (attractive) over ordinary (bland) design.  This development will not appeal to everyone's style preference, but that is ok.  Downtown Greenville does not appeal to everyone either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, gman said:

I found that interesting, as well as, the previously mentioned Greenville tributes; old train station, bell tower, etc. I am guessing since Phil is a Greenville developer he decided to put those elements in there. I think it's fine, and in a way helps give a nod of unity to the county, but it also makes me wonder why he never tried something like this in one of his downtown developments.

14 minutes ago, gman430 said:

138EEB87-64BC-479E-9450-E0A8595F9132.jpeg

Love the shading in this pic! Where's the drooling emoticon? :w00t:

3 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I found that interesting, as well as, the previously mentioned Greenville tributes; old train station, bell tower, etc. I am guessing since Phil is a Greenville developer he decided to put those elements in there. I think it's fine, and in a way helps give a nod of unity to the county, but it also makes me wonder why he never tried something like this in one of his downtown developments.

Love the shading in this pic! Where's the drooling emoticon? :w00t:

I guess you all missed Lindsey’s comments blowing smoke up Mauldin Leaders’ skirts regarding Greenville as being next to Mauldin (something about this was going to put Mauldin on the map). Come on. We all see this as what it is, and nobody is concerned about Mauldin overtaking Greenville as the activity center of the upstate. What we are concerned about is this being a flop. 

:D I bet this development is going to have a Nordstrom, second Greenville Apple Store, Tesla store, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co, Hugo Boss, Gucci, Omega and some high end overpriced restaurant where I can’t pronounce anything on the menu. 

Edited by gman430

36 minutes ago, gman430 said:

:D I bet this development is going to have a Nordstrom, second Greenville Apple Store, Tesla store, Louis Vuitton, Tiffany & Co, Hugo Boss, Gucci, Omega and some high end overpriced restaurant where I can’t pronounce anything on the menu. 

LOL...they'll find a way to include an Olive Garden for a peon as me. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

Apple store. Meh. Nothing special to me. Just a store like any other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, motonenterprises said:

Apple store. Meh. Nothing special to me. Just a store like any other.

An Apple store is not just another store. It’s big time to have one in our great city.  That said, I use all Apple products and buy everything using their online store. It’s so easy to buy online. There is no need to visit a store. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gman430 said:

After the Nordstroms in Richmond and Norfolk closed, Nordstrom would open in Greenville?  This sounds like the former poster who saw a Nordstrom gift card for sale somewhere around town and was adamant that it meant that a Nordstrom was definitely opening at Haywood.

Edited by Cityplanner