The RailYard SouthEnd

CLTProductions

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, they demo’d the existing brick buildings to build a new Beer Garden? I find it hard to believe they couldn’t have incorporated those into their plan somehow, especially if they’re building a Beer Garden. Were they in that bad of shape?

1 hour ago, lit said:

Wait, they demo’d the existing brick buildings to build a new Beer Garden? I find it hard to believe they couldn’t have incorporated those into their plan somehow, especially if they’re building a Beer Garden. Were they in that bad of shape?

The existing building was only brick on the front. The rest of tin, and ugly. And the building caused a setback issue. It’s fine it’s gone. 

• Like 1

I must admit these South End shot make me wish I were 15 years younger and 100K richer lol.  Seriously, the meandering scale of the buildings and how close they are to thorofares gives the impression of urban energy.  How is South End from street level?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

I must admit these South End shot make me wish I were 15 years younger and 100K richer lol.  Seriously, the meandering scale of the buildings and how close they are to thorofares gives the impression of urban energy.  How is South End from street level?

Very active. 

11 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

9 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Very active. 

It is active. As much as my uptown neighbors always describe South End as a dormitory, it's gotta be great if the environment is entirely new to you.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

As much as it’s active it’s infuriatingly disconnected. 

Want to walk over there? Needless fence - walk around the block instead. Rail trail? lol, nope it’s just random disconnected bits of sidewalk. 

There may be people everywhere, but the flow is so bad. 

The flow is reflective of the neighborhood not being a master planned development or a historically walkable neighborhood. SouthEnd is historically an industrial area and focused on production rather than livability. The developers have been throwing up massive apartment buildings faster than the city can keep up with improving infrastructure. Given the growth strains across the city, it isn't surprising SouthEnd also has to take a number and wait on infrastructure needs. SouthEnd is just one part of the city's competing priorities and SouthEnd is also impacted by how spread out the development has been. 

In due time I think the neighborhood will become better connected and cross walks will be added, sidewalks will be fixed, fences will be taken down, etc... but the city is going to lag the speed of developers. Developers just have to focus on their 1 acre lot. The city is stuck trying to figure out how to fund improvements to a neighborhood 2 miles long (from 277 to Camden) and connect it all together. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3