The RailYard SouthEnd

CLTProductions

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Had my passenger take some good shots.  I said take them of the brick building under construction !  From KJ's passenger today.    Toss up between these buildings and Dimensional Funds as my favorite outside the loop. 

Free shots of Charlotte's Web (our above ground power lines) 

IMG_2399.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

This is a good project.  Dimensional feels great to me.

• Like 1

Bland probably wouldn't ever be renamed, as it is now a well known street thanks to all the activity that has sprung up along it and the light rail station.  Nor should it, as it has been the name since it was built and even used to have a streetcar trolley on it, as we have forgotten now, but we used to want to save the Historic Trolley Barn on what is now Post Southend. 

But this reminded me of the Summit Avenues.  In this area, it was originally Gold Street on old maps, due to the gold mines on the street.   Before I-77 it was connected to various other streets to make a circumferential connection to Wesley Heights and JC Smith, where the actual summit is, but then was disconnected when I-77 was built.     I would favor it to be put back to Gold Street given the traction of the Gold District branding in Wilmore and the fact that it is now orphaned and a confusing separation from the other Summits.   So now we we have South and North Summit Avenues in West End.  and then WEST Summit Ave, which is EAST of the other two Summit Aves, and there is no East Summit Ave.     

Let's just restore Gold Street. 

But speaking of head-scratching names, some day projects that get built near the actual rail yard are going to be annoyed that the project 1/2 a mile away from the rail yard grabbed that name. 

• Like 2

Clearly it is.  There ought to be more info on him.    Here is the write up of his home, and it references that Bland St is named for him.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rblandmcaden.htm

Of course the street was named for him in the olden days when they made street names simple.    In modern times it would be an absurdly long West Doctor Charles Alberto Bland Street.

And as is true of every time I read one of those historic home write-ups, I always remember to scroll back up top to see when Charlotte demolished it.  "NOTE: This structure was demolished in in Summer 2000."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dubone said:

And as is true of every time I read one of those historic home write-ups, I always remember to scroll back up top to see when Charlotte demolished it.  "NOTE: This structure was demolished in in Summer 2000."

Myers Park Baptist gobbled up several old homes on this site to build the Cornwell Center. Since churches aren't prohibited in residential zones, they just had to conform to set back rules for the structure from the street, set the parking lot back, lower the building footprint and leave green space, etc....

Somebody sued them but ultimately lost. The church relocated some of the houses in ok structural status to other lots. Given the wealth at that church, I'm not surprised they were able to gobble up the old homes. They outbid almost every other buyer and gave people offers they couldn't refuse.

• Like 1

I think this is the first official news on EY...

Beacon  Partners  has announced Ernst & Young LLP, a professional services company that provides assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, as the first Railyard office tenant. They are leasing 30,487 square feet, which will occupy the fourth floor and a portion of the fifth floor

13 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I love the brick and this project overall.

Sorry if it was already discussed and I missed it but are they going to do anything with this giant blank wall?

Yes you will never see it again once the micro apartments are built completely surrounding it. 

• Like 3

On 8/18/2018 at 7:34 PM, KJHburg said:

Yes you will never see it again once the micro apartments are built completely surrounding it. 

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is what that blank wall will look like

Picture1.jpg

I thought the two big main brick-covered boxes were the micro apartments. Are the micro apts actually this mid-rise?

1 minute ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I thought the two big main brick-covered boxes were the micro apartments. Are the micro apts actually this mid-rise?

Huh? Those are office space.