The RailYard SouthEnd

CLTProductions

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

In that 100 block of East Park Avenue that faces Miller Supply (former A&P) building, were those storefronts preserved because of Historic District or aesthetics, or financial considerations?

It was a choice David Furman made because he is a fantastic dude. 

16 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

In that 100 block of East Park Avenue that faces Miller Supply (former A&P) building, were those storefronts preserved because of Historic District or aesthetics, or financial considerations?

13 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It was a choice David Furman made because he is a fantastic dude. 

Are these original preserved facades?

• Like 1

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

https://www.charlottefive.com/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-charlottes-canyon-of-mediocrity/

Yes, I wrote a little bit about it here. I interviewed David Furman and a good bit of our conversation was about those buildings, he's one of the smartest, nicest guys I've talked to. He didn't have to save them, he just really wanted to incorporate them into his design, and he did so flawlessly.

(hqdefault.jpg

"NEW YORK CITY!?"

;)

Furman does seem to be the one that actually treats SouthEnd like is needs to be nice and livable for the long haul.   Atherton really is fine, but disappointing that they ignored the mill and just copypasted generalize buildings, even if they are a step above some of the pure crap.  

It would have been such an easy thing to pay homage to, too.  It is a mill with tall big windows and fairly easy to replicate design.   Nope. 

54 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://www.charlottefive.com/the-good-the-bad-the-ugly-charlottes-canyon-of-mediocrity/

Yes, I wrote a little bit about it here. I interviewed David Furman and a good bit of our conversation was about those buildings, he's one of the smartest, nicest guys I've talked to. He didn't have to save them, he just really wanted to incorporate them into his design, and he did so flawlessly.

8 minutes ago, Jordan84 said:

This might be a dumb question, but why are they only building one tower? 

I'm assuming because they are using a mobile crane right now, and don't want to use two mobile cranes. Once all the steel is up on this building, they will start on the next building.

Edited by Guest

On 3/14/2018 at 12:08 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Great article.  And I agree about incorporating those storefronts to help maintain the character of the neighborhood.  It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.  I wish this were far more common in Charlotte.  Does anybody know who designed this building in NoDa?  The same thing was done here and I love it!  It complements the opposite side of the street, which are all old buildings.  (I'm assuming those are original storefronts and not new storefronts created to look like old ones)

NoDa_Old Storefronts_New Building.jpg

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Great article.  And I agree about incorporating those storefronts to help maintain the character of the neighborhood.  It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.  I wish this were far more common in Charlotte.  Does anybody know who designed this building in NoDa?  The same thing was done here and I love it!  It complements the opposite side of the street, which are all old buildings.  (I'm assuming those are original storefronts and not new storefronts created to look like old ones)

NoDa_Old Storefronts_New Building.jpg

They are not the original fascades, but a facsimile to represent what once stood there. The development "Fat City Lofts" is named after the namesake Fat City Deli, that was one of the first businesses to open in "NoDa"

image.png.01075206956d900429ad7caca5f6eb4b.png

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Well at least they made an attempt to maintain the feel of that block.  It might be a Disney version of a NoDa block, but it works for me.

I agree 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to understand the economics of not building the 10 floor version of this.  Watching how they building this project those two extra floors really look to be marginal extra costs in both time and material. 

The long term ROI for those two floors would seem to outweigh very quick even if they sat empty for 3 years.  I guess I dont understand how decisions like that are made.

Edited by navigator319
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I'm trying to understand the economics of not building the 10 floor version of this.  Watching how they building this project those two extra floors really look to be marginal extra costs in both time and material. 

The long term ROI for those two floors would seem to outweigh very quick even if they sat empty for 3 years.  I guess I dont understand how decisions like that are made.

So, I have no special insight here, but there are a couple of things that might make an impact: elevators (you might need more, or a different model, to service two more floors of office), HVAC (system sizing and design), and plumbing (pumps and sewerage). Perhaps, depending on their tolerances, even foundational work to handle the extra weight. The steel is "cheap," but the mechanicals and engineering might not be, in other words.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:18 AM, navigator319 said:

22 hours ago, asthasr said:

So, I have no special insight here, but there are a couple of things that might make an impact: elevators (you might need more, or a different model, to service two more floors of office), HVAC (system sizing and design), and plumbing (pumps and sewerage). Perhaps, depending on their tolerances, even foundational work to handle the extra weight. The steel is "cheap," but the mechanicals and engineering might not be, in other words.

Parking.

• Sad 1