Union County

Cadi40

Correct me if I am wrong But I didn't seem to find a thread about Union County. Anyways, Union County is obviously a booming area of the Charlotte Metro Area and more specifically the Sun Valley Area. Sun Valley is home to 2 Shopping Centers at one intersection and soon to be 3. There are also talks of adding a Hotel to the Sun Valley Commons. There is a Publix which is in the third and newest shopping center set to open December 9th,  Which is called the Shoppes at Hanfield Village which looks to have a ton of retail space. One mile down the road there are plans for an enormous YMCA mixed use development off of 74 behind the Lowes. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You say Sun Valley, but is that associated with any of the towns, or just the name of a shopping center? I'm always a little confused about the town areas/boundaries in that area.

As far as I know it is one of those vestigial monikers of a the rural area that wasn't incorporated, but was taken by modern developments. There's Sun Valley High School, Sun Valley Middle School, and strip malls and subdivisions with the name, but no municipality.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dale said:

Union County is glowing and growing, but downtown Monroe is languishing, arguably the most moribund of the ring city downtowns.

And from what I've seen one of the most beautiful (in terms of old buildings and great blocks with potential).

I think it's the fact that it's too far to drive with no reliable freeway. 74 is hell past Matthews.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

And from what I've seen one of the most beautiful (in terms of old buildings and great blocks with potential).

I think it's the fact that it's too far to drive with no reliable freeway. 74 is hell past Matthews.

Yeah, it's got good bones. A customer of mine, who claims to be wired in to the community, claims that old money stands in the way of progress.

Downtown Monroe is being revitalized slowly, Has great potential and is one of the larger suburbs of Charlotte with its own skyline as a matter of fact. Hopefully it gets to have its full potential. The area is filled with large plantation style homes that are historic and breath taking, Its a truly exceptional city.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, JBS said:

Downtown Waxhaw on Friday night is unrecolnizable compared to five years ago.  So many restaurants full of so many people.  Great place for a walk down quiet streets also.  Place would be a perfect setting for a movie.  Can understand why it is growing so rapidly.

Downtown Waxhaw is beautiful.  It's one of my favorite places in the Charlotte metro.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JBS said:

Downtown Waxhaw on Friday night is unrecolnizable compared to five years ago.  So many restaurants full of so many people.  Great place for a walk down quiet streets also.  Place would be a perfect setting for a movie.  Can understand why it is growing so rapidly.

You mean Downtown Waxhaw on a Saturday night...right?   Because if it's Friday the residents are still stuck in traffic on the way home.  :tw_grimace:

Seriously...it's pretty nice down there.

• Like 1

Waxhaw and the whole area around it as someone told me is a suburb of Ballantyne and many people work in south Charlotte so the commute while jammed in spots is not as long as you think.   Downtown Waxhaw really reflects 1000s of affluent residents that live nearby and it is one of my favorite downtowns too.   Very small but vibrant in its 2-3 blocks. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Update on Atrium Union West hospital from the Biz Journal today.   see photos above for the latest this week. 

""Atrium Health Union West started going vertical this month, with plans for a topping out this fall. Crews broke ground on the hospital in January.  The facility, at about 150,000 square feet, will be at the intersection of U.S. Highway 74 and Stallings Road in Stallings. Plans call for 40 licensed beds, including eight for labor and delivery and four for intensive care. There will be three operating rooms, one room for C-sections and an endoscopy suite. Plans also call for a 10-bay emergency department with a helipad. Laboratory and pharmacy services will be available. Imaging capabilities will include MRIs, CT scans, X-rays and ultrasounds.  Atrium said the hospital should be "substantially complete" by the fourth quarter of 2021, with a targeted opening in early 2022.

Initial estimates put the cost at roughly $130 million ""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/07/24/plans-move-ahead-for-atriums-union-west.html

• Like 4