Cadi40

Union County

Correct me if I am wrong But I didn't seem to find a thread about Union County. Anyways, Union County is obviously a booming area of the Charlotte Metro Area and more specifically the Sun Valley Area. Sun Valley is home to 2 Shopping Centers at one intersection and soon to be 3. There are also talks of adding a Hotel to the Sun Valley Commons. There is a Publix which is in the third and newest shopping center set to open December 9th,  Which is called the Shoppes at Hanfield Village which looks to have a ton of retail space. One mile down the road there are plans for an enormous YMCA mixed use development off of 74 behind the Lowes. 

• Like 2

You say Sun Valley, but is that associated with any of the towns, or just the name of a shopping center? I'm always a little confused about the town areas/boundaries in that area.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

You say Sun Valley, but is that associated with any of the towns, or just the name of a shopping center? I'm always a little confused about the town areas/boundaries in that area.

As far as I know it is one of those vestigial monikers of a the rural area that wasn't incorporated, but was taken by modern developments. There's Sun Valley High School, Sun Valley Middle School, and strip malls and subdivisions with the name, but no municipality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Union County is glowing and growing, but downtown Monroe is languishing, arguably the most moribund of the ring city downtowns.

And from what I've seen one of the most beautiful (in terms of old buildings and great blocks with potential).

I think it's the fact that it's too far to drive with no reliable freeway. 74 is hell past Matthews.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

And from what I've seen one of the most beautiful (in terms of old buildings and great blocks with potential).

I think it's the fact that it's too far to drive with no reliable freeway. 74 is hell past Matthews.

Yeah, it's got good bones. A customer of mine, who claims to be wired in to the community, claims that old money stands in the way of progress.

Downtown Monroe is being revitalized slowly, Has great potential and is one of the larger suburbs of Charlotte with its own skyline as a matter of fact. Hopefully it gets to have its full potential. The area is filled with large plantation style homes that are historic and breath taking, Its a truly exceptional city.

Downtown Waxhaw is really nice.

What's going on with the corner of Providence Rd and Newtown Rd that Lat Purser was supposed to develop into a retail development?