Union County

Cadi40

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Big controversy in Weddington over a proposed town center type development that includes some 138,000 sq ft of retail, SF homes and some townhomes.  Total 181 homes. including SF and THs.   Here is the plan 

https://www.townofweddington.com/sites/default/files/uploads/planning/projects/22-0127-weddingtongreen_commmtg_presentation.pdf

The Charlotte Ledger reported that people were comparing it to a "debacle like that Waverly"  which I think is one of the best mixed use suburban projects in the area.  Waverly has 2 Class A office buildings a hotel lots of retail and apartments, townhomes and SF homes and is much more dense.   Waverly is full of Weddington residents shopping and dining there believe me! 

the Change.org petition shows a picture of what appears to be Times Square LOL which is ridiculous. 

https://www.change.org/p/reject-weddington-green-conditional-rezoning-project

This is adjacent to the only commercial development in the town of Weddington which is the Harris Teeter anchored shopping center.  I was out that way today and snapped some photos  of the site.  I get the traffic complaints but density this is not compared to most of the area including the huge town of Waxhaw!  

But before anyone bashes these Weddingtonians remember the fight of the "high rise on 36th St" proposed by Centro development that in the end passed. 

Providence Rd NC 16 is slated to be widened which is a state responsibility of course.  

first photo is the existing Weddington commercial area.  2nd and 3rd photos the site of this "Times Square" of Union County! 

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

Just out of curiosity, but what is the traffic situation around Waverly like at peak hours?  I've never been there during morning or afternoon rush hours and the times I have driven through it all seems to flow pretty well. 

It is busy but seems to be more people coming off 485 turning left into waverly is the real problem from what i have noticed on my many visits there.   Coming up from Union county it is a right turn into waverly and the lanes widened before it gets to 485.  

Millbridge covered bridge and their swim and rec club is probably the best neighborhood club in the region.  Even covered outside basketball courts.  People I know called it like being at Disney World everyday LOL.   Last phases of this massive community are being built now.  Noticed tags from NY, NJ, CA and Utah in the driveways. 

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Union County is gorgeous, but unless you're willing to have a 1 hr 20 min. commute up Providence Rd., it's very inconvenient for those who work Uptown or at Atrium.  I'd like to see an express train run from 485 and 74 to Uptown.

I live in Weddington and got to work in 30 minutes today (Friday is always faster). Typically, no more than 45 minutes since June 2021.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rancenc said:

This isn't a NIMBY issue.  I live here and we're 100% for this great project. I love everything about it. That said, Weddington requires a minimum of an acre per house and this requires a zoning variance. But these are $550k to over a million dollar homes. This isn't affordable housing. People have a right to determine what is in their town, especially when they moved way outside the city, pay a premium for homes and have every expectation that the current zoning code will be followed. I can both wholly support the project while still defending residents who oppose it. Generally, I'll side with residents over developers even when I think the residents are idiots (as I do in this instance).

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

53 minutes ago, JBS said:

I live in Weddington and got to work in 30 minutes today (Friday is always faster). Typically, no more than 45 minutes since June 2021.

Do you go up Providence?  Maybe with remote work since the pandemic, traffic isn't as bad.   Also, I was thinking a few miles south in Waxhaw.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Do you go up Providence?  Maybe with remote work since the pandemic, traffic isn't as bad.   Also, I was thinking a few miles south in Waxhaw.

Waxhaw is definitely longer, as you know. I often take Randolph in, sometimes Monroe, today I took 485 to 77 (which is usually great on Monday and Friday). Definitely better since March 2020!

• Like 3

I emailed the mayor and council members today voicing my support for the project in Weddington (while encouraging them to negotiate a slightly higher percentage of age restricted homes to moderate the impact on schools). I didn't attend the meeting last night because I didn't trust myself not to get into arguments with an overwhelmingly "anti" crowd. I'm confused why others are confused by my stance (pro project but understanding of opponent views). Maybe instead of an emoji you could actually articulate your views? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...