Union County

Cadi40

Union Mecklenburg county line dispute mainly in the Shannamara community in Stallings.  I know this community very well.  If anyone can tell me what Vilma Leake means by her comments post them.

https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2023-01-19/wheres-the-union-mecklenburg-county-line-turns-out-no-ones-quite-sure

"There is a bitter taste in many mouths in Mecklenburg County when it comes to Union County. And we have to get beyond that if we're going to do anything. Marriage is what I call it, marriage, and we have to be engaged first. So I'm waiting for the ring to see what you have to offer," she said. "Give me the information, then give me a ring, and then we would talk about our wedding date."

Huh??

• Confused 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 9:28 PM, KJHburg said:

Union Mecklenburg county line dispute mainly in the Shannamara community in Stallings.  I know this community very well.  If anyone can tell me what Vilma Leake means by her comments post them.

https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2023-01-19/wheres-the-union-mecklenburg-county-line-turns-out-no-ones-quite-sure

"There is a bitter taste in many mouths in Mecklenburg County when it comes to Union County. And we have to get beyond that if we're going to do anything. Marriage is what I call it, marriage, and we have to be engaged first. So I'm waiting for the ring to see what you have to offer," she said. "Give me the information, then give me a ring, and then we would talk about our wedding date."

Huh??

common sense has prevailed:

Joe Bruno
@JoeBrunoWSOC9
·
38m
Mecklenburg County commissioners unanimously vote to just leave the border how it is. They and Union County commissioners will now ask the state to adopt our borders so no one has to jump from one county to another #MeckBOCC

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rancenc said:

Union County's wastewater capacity woes is reaching a tipping point!

https://www.wbtv.com/2023/05/30/towns-faceoff-against-county-battle-over-growthand-wastewater/

Is it bad that I'm feeling an immense sense of schadenfreude toward most all people in Union County? (This is greatly revised from my initial kneejerk response and will pass the profanity filter on UP)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

https://tax.mecknc.gov/tax-rates#:~:text=Calculating the Property Tax Rate,County tax bill of %241%2C233.80.

https://www.unioncountync.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/5880/637950309127800000

If I read these tax rates properly Charlotte/Mecklenburg property tax is less than Monroe and Waxhaw and more than Weddington and other western Union towns. The theme of high tax Charlotte seems unfair. The idea of low tax/low service Union County seems more fair.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

https://tax.mecknc.gov/tax-rates#:~:text=Calculating the Property Tax Rate,County tax bill of %241%2C233.80.

https://www.unioncountync.gov/home/showpublisheddocument/5880/637950309127800000

If I read these tax rates properly Charlotte/Mecklenburg property tax is less than Monroe and Waxhaw and more than Weddington and other western Union towns. The theme of high tax Charlotte seems unfair. The idea of low tax/low service Union County seems more fair.

I think you're reading it correctly, but that said I think the psychological comparison is often "rural Union County" vs CLT/Meck combined. Rural Union is still the vast majority of that county, where rural Mecklenburg is dwarfed by the cities. (No matter how you cut it, a few hundred dollars in savings per year is SO NOT WORTH IT)

• Like 3

Indeed. When I worked at Weddington HS and all those out-of-staters came to enroll and parents spoke about how much they were saving over Ohio, NJ, NY, etc and I tried (once) to explain there was volunteer fire companies (with additional cost and a homeowners insurance will recognize the increased risk) and well water (which must be amortised replacement*) and septic systems (same) and some with water so hard a water softener was required, and the library was useful only in Meck County which required a fee for out of county users, and rubbish collection was an additional cost. Less said about police the better. Public school costs was a valid point but the SE Meck school families that border western Union seem as happy as Union families. I learned I should save my breath. They were saving over NY, NJ, Ohio but that is not the real comparison. Adding the fire/rubbish/amortised costs (wells and septic systems do not last forever and equipment must be replaced) cuts the difference to as thin as a sheet of paper. I had, I think, one family enroll from South Mecklenburg school district and it was a divorce/separation issue and not a true family move. Those in South Meck areas are not tempted by the difference in taxes.

As I said, I should save my breath.

*Some developments have private systems but with costs borne by the shared users. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

And yet...they don't learn.  Union county is a bunch of conservatives who want low taxes and then complain they have no place to put their poop, their two lane chip seal roads are full, and schools have no room.  They are going to create so many more issues by kicking the can down the road like they do.  Don't want to spend money on new infrastructure because god forbid,  they will have to raise property taxes and then the politicians will get voted out.  There is a reason Union County property taxes are much lower than us...because they don't spend money on things like this.

I love Union County for its neighborhoods, small towns, farms that feed Charlotte.  But to each his own but keep the politics in the Politics thread so I can avoid it.

Don't Worry Be Happy | Busy Beaver Button Museum

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

This is way worse than the article makes it out. Union County property taxes don't even go to their water/wastewater facilities or capital projects, it's entirely paid by connection fees and rates for usage which makes future expansion incredibly difficult to fund. Water/sewer rates for Union County were already raised over 30% for existing payers over recent years before even considering new plants. If your well contains arsenic (highest concentration in NC) or your septic is failing, they may need $30-40k to connect to the existing facilities because even though you've been paying property taxes, none of it is for water or sewer...

They reduced the expansion of Twelve Mile Creek WRF because they planned to divert it to a new facility on Lower Crooked Creek and then never built the new facility. Finger pointing between the two groups because UCPW says they were waiting on approval while BOCC says they approved funding already in 2016. 7 years later and apparently there is only 1 viable site for a new treatment plant and the rezoning is met with immediate pushback from residents and the BOCC is asking for an official inquiry into private property ownership for the new proposed site of any county or municipal board members. Now they are scrambling to plan for a 2nd expansion to Twelve Mile before the first is even done. Union County already sends waste to McAlpine in Mecklenburg, they were already sending 2 of the 3 MGD allotted back in 2018 and they are more than likely already sending as much as they can. 

There aren't any formal agreements between Union County and all of these municipalities to even provide these services, they just keep referencing other projects as precedent and then approving them until now they've finally hit their limit. The new Atrium hospital doesn't even have it's phase 2 or phase 3 wastewater approved and they are already at capacity... 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 5/31/2023 at 11:19 AM, videtur quam contuor said:

Indeed. When I worked at Weddington HS and all those out-of-staters came to enroll and parents spoke about how much they were saving over Ohio, NJ, NY, etc and I tried (once) to explain there was volunteer fire companies (with additional cost and a homeowners insurance will recognize the increased risk) and well water (which must be amortised replacement*) and septic systems (same) and some with water so hard a water softener was required, and the library was useful only in Meck County which required a fee for out of county users, and rubbish collection was an additional cost. Less said about police the better. Public school costs was a valid point but the SE Meck school families that border western Union seem as happy as Union families. I learned I should save my breath. They were saving over NY, NJ, Ohio but that is not the real comparison. Adding the fire/rubbish/amortised costs (wells and septic systems do not last forever and equipment must be replaced) cuts the difference to as thin as a sheet of paper. I had, I think, one family enroll from South Mecklenburg school district and it was a divorce/separation issue and not a true family move. Those in South Meck areas are not tempted by the difference in taxes.

As I said, I should save my breath.

*Some developments have private systems but with costs borne by the shared users. 

I think people tend to ignore the larger picture and think they've "found" a sort-of loophole when in reality the government just gets its share another way.  Yeah your property taxes might be low but your income taxes and/or sales taxes are way higher, or vice versa.  Unless the city/state isn't really providing anything, but these days many people won't tolerate such a lack of services.  Of course then they complain about their taxes going up to fund increased services.

• Like 2

New mixed use development could be in the works for Monroe.

Monroe planning board to consider rezoning request for mixed-use condo project

Anjani Ventures LLC is seeking approvals to allow for 200 condominiums/lofts, 20 townhomes and approximately 12,600 square feet of commercial space at a 21.7-acre site at M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard and Weddington Road.....................

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/06/07/monroe-rezoning-townhomes-condos-mixed-use-project.html?s=print

• Like 3

• 1 month later...