Just Wow

spenser1058

This is not related to anything local other than to remind us what can happen when beloved buildings are saved rather than demolished as is often the case in Orlando. For example, what if the iconic Jordan Marsh at Colonial Plaza had been converted to lofts with its teal sign still glowing at night for passers-by on the East-West?

Anyway, an awesome redo underway of the 1947 landmark Streamline Moderne Sears in Santa Monica (maybe prahaboheme will move in when it's done!):

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sears-santa-monica-pictures-20171126-photogallery.html

From the LA Times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

This is not related to anything local other than to remind us what can happen when beloved buildings are saved rather than demolished as is often the case in Orlando. For example, what if the iconic Jordan Marsh at Colonial Plaza had been converted to lofts with its teal sign still glowing at night for passers-by on the East-West?

Anyway, an awesome redo underway of the 1947 landmark Streamline Moderne Sears in Santa Monica (maybe prahaboheme will move in when it's done!):

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-sears-santa-monica-pictures-20171126-photogallery.html

From the LA Times

I was wondering the fate of this building - there was some concern it would meet its demise as eager developers were eying the property with claims to invigorate the Colorado Ave streetscape. Despite the recent opening of the Expo line in 2016 (and it's above projected ridership) Colorado is still a street in transition with not a lot of reason for pedestrians to wander off the Third Ave promenade and head a block over. This will be a huge draw.

Imagine if the Woolsworth building on Orange / Church received the same love!

LA in general is much better at preservation efforts of buildings from the 20th century than anywhere in FL sans South Beach.  It is fascinating to watch the rapid reconstruction of east Hollywood and DTLA - neighborhoods stock full of old gems that just need a little TLC.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A really cool thing I wanted to mention since I'm changing banks and will totally forget. I really like that the photos used on the Chase mobile app are not only of Orlando but are hyperlocal sites you don't usually see.

For example, instead of the usual attractions pics (which would make sense given Chase's relationship with The Mouse), there are scenes like the Washington St bridge and Winter Garden's dock on Lake Apopka. Great job of a NYC bank bringing it home to us folks in the provinces.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A really cool thing I wanted to mention since I'm changing banks and will totally forget. I really like that the photos used on the Chase mobile app are not only of Orlando but are hyperlocal sites you don't usually see.

For example, instead of the usual attractions pics (which would make sense given Chase's relationship with The Mouse), there are scenes like the Washington St bridge and Winter Garden's dock on Lake Apopka. Great job of a NYC bank bringing it home to us folks in the provinces.

I've noticed this too.  I've seen Park Ave and Wall Street Plaza featured on the app as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The end of an era - Macy's has announced the closing of its downtown store in Miami (once upon a time, the flagship Burdines.) AFAIK, that's pretty much the last downtown department store in Florida's major cities.

It was pretty much inevitable in the era of e-commerce, I guess, but I'll always remember the awe I had as a kid going with my mom to the downtown Ivey's.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1002886001

From USA Today

Edited by spenser1058

Sorry, it was in the story but not noted in my post that it's the downtown Miami store (22 E Flagler St.) I meant to note that but skipped it. The oldest chain in Orlando that ended up as a Macy's was Jordan Marsh which first opened in Colonial Plaza in 1962. (It was originally supposed to be on N. Orange Ave. but Orange Buick refused to sell and they went to CP and began the demise of downtown.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

An interesting story of OEP's process for recruitment of new firms to the region.

Fascinating stats: there are more than 500,000 college students within a 100 mile radius of Orlando, 70% of UCF grads stay in the region and more than 90% want to. (Orlando is like Sally Field: "You like me! You really like me!"

http://www.i4biz.com/featured/moving-towards-tipping-point-ken-potrock-partnership/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read in the past that 15% or more of a county's residents have to commute into an MSA for it to be added to that area.

This article from the News-Journal about  (Delightful!) DeLand, DeBary, Orange City and Deltona suggests we may be on our way to adding Volusia to Orlando's MSA.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20180331/destination-deland

On 3/6/2018 at 9:33 AM, spenser1058 said:

Cool castle, errr, house, in Fruitland Park I hope we don't lose:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-fruitland-park-history-castle-ivan-yeftich-20180301-story.html

From the Sentinel

We nearly lost one in Leesburg recently.

The historic Mote Morris House (Wiki-link) suffered a serious fire which destroyed part of the second floor. 

The-Mote-MOrris-House.jpg

At first they thought it was a total loss, but fortunately enough of it was saved and the money is available to restore the damaged portion. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Tesla may be falling apart but SpaceX had a perfect launch today at Canaveral with supplies for the ISS. It seems Central Florida handles the details better than Cali?

https://amp.space.com/40172-space-used-dragon-cargo-launch-success-crs14.html

From space.com

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to do with Orlando, but as a fan of mostly gone downtown department stores, this is sort of heartrending, although hardly unexpected.

As most folks know, Sears is a Chicago-based company (although its headquarters decamped for Hoffman Estates in the 'burbs after selling off the Sears Tower years ago.)

In any event, the closing of the last Chicago Sears has been announced. It's definitely the end of an era.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-sears-closing-last-chicago-store-20180412-story,amp.html

From the Chicago Tribune

Have you ever wondered why some urban posting types like Urban Planet but others post mostly on SSC (or maybe others I don't know about.)

For example, most Orlando posts are on UP but Tampa is mostly on SSC. I know I find UP easier to navigate but I wonder if there are other reasons.

And then there's Jacksonville that went rogue and created another site altogether.

• Like 1