Just Wow

spenser1058

“Disney overtakes Apple in survey of most intimate brands”. The study charts those companies whose products are considered most important in their customers’ lives.

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/C61AC080-2FC8-11E9-A92A-4EEFB091A931

From Market Watch

Perhaps most interesting to us is that, for those seeking their Disney “fix”, find Orlando as the best place to do it.

Our Magic Kingdom outpaces Disney parks  in LA, Paris, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong. That’s before adding Epcot,DAK and DHS to the mix.

The December report on retail sales, delayed due to the government shutdown, shows the biggest drop since 2009 in the wake of the Great Recession.

Other indicators like an increase in late car payments also suggest consumers are beginning to have some challenges in the current economy.

While not all indicators are moving downward yet, some caution is probably in order as the US economy is driven by consumer activity.

It also remains to be seen how a downturn might affect Orlando given huge infrastructure and attractions improvements underway and scheduled to come online this year.

What we may see is a pause in the current build cycle downtown as developers wait to see what will happen.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/14/us-retail-sales-drop-in-december.html

From CNBC

We often bemoan (and rightly so) the fact that Orlando is not blessed with a plethora of corporate headquarters. 

That, however, doesn’t always tell the whole story. It can be something as simple as Norm Augustine, who was a local Martin exec that went on to lead the company. His positive experiences here in Orlando, it has been suggested, helped lead to additional investment in the area (at one point, they pondered selling off the Sand Lake Rd. campus because the land is so valuable for tourism purposes; instead, they doubled down and added new buildings).

An even bigger story, though, was disclosed during a Q1 earnings call with Disney’s CEO and CFO.

It turns out that the parks division (led, of course by Walt Disney World) in 2018 became the most profitable part of the company, eclipsing the studio and TV divisions.

Just imagine what will happen once SW:GE comes online and the newest resorts open.

There has never been an entertainment phenomenon quite like the various Orlando parks and ancillary activities. It’s difficult for anyone who’s not involved with it or follows its finances to understand what a unique economic engine it truly is.

https://www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/02/14/disney-earnings-call.aspx

From The Motley Fool

Edited by spenser1058

44 minutes ago, aent said:

I don't think we will be as hard hit as last time. I think it will be less real estate and attractions focused this next downturn. Trump is extremely unlikely to tell people to stop going to Orlando and spending money at Disney like Obama did.

OK - let's think about this. Obama would penalize the area that supported him so robustly. Just keep believing that - I have to admit that's a first in my 40+ years in politics.

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

OK - let's think about this. Obama would penalize the area that supported him so robustly. Just keep believing that - I have to admit that's a first in my 40+ years in politics.

I mean it was a literal statement, it was something to the nature of corporations shouldn't be spending big money doing conventions in Orlando ... people aren't blowing cash in Vegas so everyone needs to tighten their belts.

The statements perhaps weren't really about the specific vacation spots in general that he specifically mentioned, just a notion that during the great recession a decade ago, it wasn't appropriate for companies or rich people to be flaunting money with luxury vacations while at the same time those same people were firing the people working beneath him. But no doubt they had a huge immediate effect on both Orlando and Vegas as companies were afraid to do extravagant events here after being called out for it - and that simply was really bad for Orlando.

Zoning codes in individual cities may be the biggest stumbling block for housing most Americans can afford:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/downsizing-the-american-dream-the-new-trend-toward-missing-middle-housing/2019/02/13/0f6d0568-232b-11e9-81fd-b7b05d5bed90_story.html

From the Washington Post

Could robots replace migrant workers in the fields? The answer will have a major impact on Florida’s agricultural industry (still #2 behind tourism), the workers and much of Florida’s rural culture

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/national/wp/2019/02/17/feature/inside-the-race-to-replace-farmworkers-with-robots/

From the Washington Post 

Kudos to the good folks of North Carolina for producing an honest man. In the congressional scandal there regarding illegal absentee ballots collected and/or ignored in the district along the NC/SC border, John Harris testified that his father was aware of the absentee collector’s shady reputation. This contradicts Mark Harris’ earlier testimony.

I have no idea what party the son is a member of (if any), but this awesome example of “Country First” is what we need a lot more of.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna973836 

From NBC News

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to post this. Since this thread seems to be a mish-mosh of various general business related topics, why not?

Just saw on the local news that CFE (Central Florida Educators) credit union is changing its name to Addition Financial.

Edited by JFW657

I had to chuckle - the St Pete Times notes Tampa mayoral candidate David Straz (net worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $426 million). regularly breakfasts at BKs in Westshore and South Tampa.

We recently had a discussion of fast food places we’d like to see downtown, including my favorite chain, Captain D’s.

Meanwhile, our good friend over at SSC tut-tutted us for such plebeian tastes unworthy of a world-class city.

In addition to Mr. Straz’ BK affection and Warren Buffett’s fondness for McD’s (not to mention President Clinton before Chelsea turned him into a vegan after a health scare - and of course the Donald!), it seems we’re in good company.

Not to mention the city he’s always encouraging us to emulate is the historic leader in fast food, the Philly cheesesteak (with Wiz!)

https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/thats-no-whopper-david-straz-is-telling-the-millionaire-candidate-loves-his-burger-king-20190319/?template=amp

Edited by spenser1058