Just Wow

spenser1058

On 5/6/2019 at 9:52 AM, spenser1058 said:

Bank branches have held remarkably steady so far compared to the number of store closures in the US. That has been in part due to the resistance of some older boomers to do banking online.

I think its quite a bit of businesses need services that aren't available online from the branches. I'm still forced to go to a bank quite a bit for work, even though I do all my personal banking online. I noticed BOA has closed/abandoned a bunch of its drive thrus and banks generally have reduced their staffing at each location while they've increased the number of locations, and new banks do seem to be getting smaller and smaller. I keep getting ads for Capital One's new "Cafe" Bank Branch format on my Pandora (although I don't think Capital One has any branches in Central Florida AFAIK)

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

Controversial abortion legislation just signed in Georgia has Hollywood up in arms. If the bill isn’t overturned by the courts, it provides an opening for Florida to siphon some of the Peach State’s film production.

Of course, the yahoos in our Legislature have tried to go out on a similar limb before but thankfully the tourism and other industries have pulled them back, Tallahassee will likely have to sweeten the pot with at least some incentives.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/05/10/entertainment/georgia-movies-heartbeat-law/index.html

From CNN

Edited by spenser1058

I just happened to notice that Palm Bay is now the largest city in Brevard. Along with Deltona being Volusia’s biggest, it makes me want to cry that two of our largest counties have suburbs-on-steroids as their major cities.

I guess If Poinciana ever gets the bug to incorporate, Osceola will be in the same boat.

It does make me happy that Rocket City in Orange crashed and burned.

Edited by spenser1058

Our next president, “What, me worry?”

From Pinterest/Warner Media

Mostly white boys my age who were raised on the delicious snark of MAD Magazine (readership tended to be as WASPy as an episode of Leave It To Beaver) in the 50’s and ‘60’s would be thrilled if Mayor Pete is indeed the second coming of Alfred E. Neuman. 

I was already a supporter of Pete’s but thanks to The Donald now I’m a true believer!

Edited by spenser1058

Orlando 2030, produced by the Orlando Economic Partnership is out. This is a forward looking document for the region- defined as the Orlando MSA, plus Brevard and Polk.

Lots of interesting tidbits, such as;

The expected population in 2030 is 5.2 million with Osceola leading the growth at 51% and Orange at 30%.

Despite our lower than average age in the region, seniors will out-number children by 2030.

Currently, “One in every nine Orlando residents moved here since 2010, half of them from another country.”

The fastest growing industry (by far) will be health care services.

Quality education and teacher shortages will continue to be an issue.

MCO air traffic is expected to exceed 60 million by 2030.

Lots of other goodies if interested.

Details here- https://info.orlandoedc.com/hubfs/2030report.pdf?hsCtaTracking=d3c38513-9e66-4b87-8a42-922d7eeac13a|3ea21d81-b590-4248-8317-85747fadd423

Bungalower has a better look at it here- https://bungalower.com/2019/05/12/oep-releases-orlando-2030-report/

Edited by AmIReal
added link
  • Like 2

I was just listening to “Adios” by Linda Ronstadt (yep, the Dark Ages) and one of the words in the song is “morose”. You have to agree that’s a pretty odd word to pop up in an, ummm, pop song.

That also got me to thinking about other unusual words in songs. Casey Kasem once noted that the only use of “sashay” during the modern era of the Top 40 was in “New Orleans Ladies” by LaRoux.

This of course has nothing to do with anything but I am curious if any of y’all can think of other offbeat words in songs. Otherwise, just carry on as if I haven’t lost my mind...

Just now, dcluley98 said:

Is my Century Tower avatar gone for everybody else? 

Not showing up for me. This forum just eats it sometimes. 

Yes, it’s gone again (no carillon concerts for us *sigh*). A lot of the colors changed on the letters, too (JFW is apparently now a Michigan fan) but I am still sporting Ronnie’s in mine so far.

The bottom line: Reputation Matters.

We were told by conservative pundits and Republicans before the election that the current occupant of the White House, once elected, would cut the act and settle down and be serious. How’s that working out?

The fellow behind Maglev has been a punch line since his days in Oak Hill (part of Greater Mims). Has that changed?

With Brightline, they had never run a passenger railroad but this time would be different. Has it been? Nope. Their solution? Partner with Virgin which has since lost its contracts with the UK government for the two main routes they had due to a variety of problems.

Tradition Towers - had they ever built a Class A tower? Nope, but this time would be different.

Ms. Ponte came out of the chute with a “70-story” tower and then said that was a mistake. So was the initial location and now she’s so convinced of the project’s viability she’s not buying the land under it. Compare the time from announcement to breaking ground with this project with others (and keep in mind her delays have been in an “up” economic cycle). Never mind. This time will be different.

Follow through on your projects and you’ll get the respect you deserve here. 

Edited by spenser1058

Former Sentinel columnist Bob Morris (who started the infamous Kumquat Sashay downtown  If you’re old enough to remember back that far), tells a very personal tale of what Tallahassee’s continuing assault on Florida’s environment is doing to us:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-flesh-eating-bacteria-survive-bob-morris-20190517-3dboqefws5hlxcvhwxiikgesry-story.html?outputType=ampartFrom 

22 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Eh, who cares, Spenser. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. I tick people off all the time online. (including you, I'm sure)

Just don't let it bother you. 

Actually, no. Even when you vociferously disagree, you never attempt to censor the posts of those you disagree with.

Especially when some of us go to great lengths to keep this forum active when 95% of the cities on UP have long since died (not to mention the Orlando SSC room, which has become the place for posts about cities everywhere but Orlando), nevertheless a few of our number have deemed themselves the arbiter of what we may and may not post about.

While I will defend my views passionately, I would not tell another poster what to post. If I can’t deal with someone’s thoughts, I just block them until I’m ready to give them another go.

Thank you for your thoughts, though, and as one of our most active posters I’m confident you’ll keep things going!

BTW, Scott J confirms popsiclebrandon’s post earlier this week about the Tre Bambine closing.

Once again, Orlando UP had it first! Great job, Brandon!

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4769-bullet-point-buffet-openings-closings-other-stuff

Edited by spenser1058

I hope he doesn't stay gone for long. People take this stuff a little too seriously.  It's just a board for people to spread information and have some friendly banter.  If somebody gets upset at what you post, let them. Fair enough, they are allowed to have their own ideas and disagree.  Now that I am getting a bit older I just stopped caring. Some things aren't worth worrying about or arguing over. 

Just stay positive and let them do their own thing. Doesn't need to bother you a bit. 

Even when we have disagreements, it doesn't really matter. I've had plenty. I have been wrong and been corrected on several things. No big whoop. I enjoy talking with everybody and staying informed on what is going on in our city and with the construction market. 

• Like 1

@spenser1058  I think this is now the 3rd time someone has tried to run you off. Can you or your accuser specify your offending post(s)? While you speak your mind on an array of topics (including politics), I've never once seen you cross the line into something derogatory in all your years of using this forum.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1