Just Wow

spenser1058

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Yang is in there. 

#YangGang! 

According to WaPo, the RCP averages had five hitting 5% or more: Biden, Sanders, Harris, Warren and BOOT-EDGE-EDGE (for Hank). It’ll be good to have Yang on the second night too.

That seems to be a moving target, though...

Edited by spenser1058

I have a theory based on nothing in particular, that the downtown construction cycle is concluding. Anything that doesn’t break ground by Christmas is going to have to wait for the next cycle.

Especially given that there’s still so much infrastructure construction going on well into 2021 on I4 and at the parks, I think any slowdown won’t be huge.

However, as this article points out, and with car sales trending down and consumer debt inching up, the pause is probably in the works for 2020.

Heaven knows we’ve seen plenty of infill this cycle so a hold wouldn’t be out of sync with past cycles.

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1451609001

From USAToday

I guess we’ll find out if I’m right or not come January 

Cycle is not ending just yet. 

There are a couple of years of musical chairs left until the music stops.

In the construction world we are seeing commercial investment still and the associated "halo" effect from UCF/VD, the I-4 project and the theme parks.  DT has several projects proposed that are very likely to still occur. 

We are getting close to the end, however. I think it will "tail off" more than crash this time, however. It is unlikely that we see something similar to the 2008 bust again.  This time, it will be more gradual as the supply/demand of housing normalizes and the local economy muddles along.  

• Thanks 1

The great news is, we have the "Livingston Revival" taking place right now, so even if the cycle does end, the DT core has a solid connection to the Lynx Central Station and UCF/VD. 

This concentration of new development around Livingston creates a new anchor that is similar to the traditional Orlando DT of Church/Pine area and should encourage the density and development in between with activated growth and conversion of "dead lots" and refurbishment of older properties. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, dcluley98 said:

On 6/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, spenser1058 said:

Now here’s a bit of irony: in response to the Very Stable Genius’ impending visit Tuesday, SunRail will be adding extra service.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-ne-sunrail-service-trump-visit-20190614-soh2ba4jvndkni6rc4q76j4tve-story.html

From the Sentinel

So care to explain the irony? A republican/mica pushed train system is getting extra service during an event for one of their own... What is ironic about that?

5 minutes ago, aent said:

So care to explain the irony? A republican/mica pushed train system is getting extra service during an event for one of their own... What is ironic about that?

It’s time to bust the bubble on Mica as a transit god. John Mica dropped the ball on light rail - it failed because of the vote of the Orange County Commission by commissioners in HIS OWN PARTY.

Ask yourself this question - would Tip O’Neill and Ted Kennedy have let the Big Dig  die because of recalcitrant local Democrats? Ain’t no way.

Further, this supposed political genius refused to moderate his dinosaur era social opinions to save his seat in a district becoming more purple.

SunRail got passed because of Jeb! Bush’s desire for a sweetheart deal with CSX and Mica went along.

John Mica was as useful as Bill McCollum was in “saving our Navy Base”.

John Mica was nothing more than a hack.

27 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s time to bust the bubble on Mica as a transit god. John Mica dropped the ball on light rail - it failed because of the vote of the Orange County Commission by commissioners in HIS OWN PARTY.

Ask yourself this question - would Tip O’Neill and Ted Kennedy have let the Big Dig  die because of recalcitrant local Democrats? Ain’t no way.

Further, this supposed political genius refused to moderate his dinosaur era social opinions to save his seat in a district becoming more purple.

SunRail got passed because of Jeb! Bush’s desire for a sweetheart deal with CSX and Mica went along.

John Mica was as useful as Bill McCollum was in “saving our Navy Base”.

John Mica was nothing more than a hack.

So even if you say it's jeb instead of mica, how is it ironic? Sunrail, no doubt, is a project from republicans, for better or worse. The non existent light rail service isn't being expanded for the Trump rally... It didn't exist.

@dcluley98 sorry hit quote on yours by mistake and on the mobile site it seems impossible to erase quotes in their entirety. I actually think yang is interesting as well and is the candidate that would likely get me to vote blue for president next cycle. At least his ubi proposal seems to be fair (even if i still dont like it conceptually) and replacing a myriad of other programs instead of just expanding them. His other ideas are actually pretty good and he's got a bunch i agree with.

• Like 1

Oh but it DOES exist - in Charlotte! Had John Mica gotten his fellow party members to vote yes, it would be running down I-Drive today instead of the Queen City.

While we’re on the idea of John Mica, why is the bus system in the MSA he represented about half the size of the one of comparable metros? 

Why is it only now, when the leadership of the Orange County Commission has finally changed parties after two decades, we are getting serious abou effective bus service?

Federal grants make up a significant part of successful bus systems- why did transit god Mica drop the ball so badly on Lynx?

As for SunRail, remember that it does about half as much as light rail but John Mica and his fellow party members totally Wiffed that and only gave us SunRail to enrich CSX.

If they had REALLY cared about transit, we’d have a light rail system that goes to I-Drive, runs on weekends and holidays and would ensure we have a bus system at least the equal of comparable MSAs. 

BTW, light rail was offered to us by the Clinton administration. I look forward to the visitor Tuesday offering a similar deal, right?

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh but it DOES exist - in Charlotte! Had John Mica gotten his fellow party members to vote yes, it would be running down I-Drive today instead of the Queen City.

While we’re on the idea of John Mica, why is the bus system in the MSA he represented about half the size of the one of comparable metros? 

Why is it only now, when the leadership of the Orange County Commission has finally changed parties after two decades, we are getting serious abou effective bus service?

Federal grants make up a significant part of successful bus systems- why did transit god Mica drop the ball so badly on Lynx?

As for SunRail, remember that it does about half as much as light rail but John Mica and his fellow party members totally Wiffed that and only gave us SunRail to enrich CSX.

If they had REALLY cared about transit, we’d have a light rail system that goes to I-Drive, runs on weekends and holidays and would ensure we have a bus system at least the equal of comparable MSAs. 

BTW, light rail was offered to us by the Clinton administration. I look forward to the visitor Tuesday offering a similar deal, right?

You keep dodging the original question, how was it ironic? I said the Republicans pushed Sunrail, for better or worse, and if you think its worse, thats on them. Sunrail wasn't my favorite project, but it was something that got done.

I think Mica liked trains and not buses. He pushed OBX as well, which was moving through the process until he got kicked out of office. That line had nothing to do with CSX. Its not hard to see why Mica didn't like buses... they don't offer real advantages over many other transit types. Trains can move faster and don't have to wait for traffic. Traditional regional bus systems, now more then ever, are typically only for those who can't afford alternative ways to get around. People prefer their own vehicle, Uber, or just about anything else before the public buses, and as Lyft and Uber get more successful, its often coming at the expense of buses, as they provide a service more people really want.

But looking at South Florida, Tri Rail's most popular station is in the wealthy Boca Raton... buses aren't popular there at all, people use Uber or drive, but it makes it faster and easier to get to Miami (and Metrorail) and WPB.

Democrat Dyer and co didn't push the airport (which Dyer sits on the board of) to permit Globalvia to build Orlando Maglev (or an alternative light rail system if it didn't work out). If it wasn't for them trying to get tax dollars to go towards an I-Drive route because of the fear of private succeeding and showing an alternative way to raising taxes like they love to do. Instead they want a public system which they don't fear will eat into rental car revenues, and they can fund with a sales tax increase instead of farebox revenues.

Speaking of which, what real, substantial, effective transit systems have they actually got running since the County Commission changed parties? All I've heard about is they want to raise taxes (especially a 1%  sales tax) to fund transit, and little details on what we'll get in return for that. Let alone a launched system like Sunrail.

Just for dcluley:

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/11/18256198/andrew-yang-gang-presidential-policies-universal-basic-income-joe-rogan

From Vox

PLUS: Mayor Pete surges in SC and makes progress with African-American voters there.

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/warren-buttigieg-surge-in-sc-democratic-presidential-poll-as-biden/article_0a351cee-8f77-11e9-a29c-9fe60d10303b.html

From Charleston Post and Courier 

Edited by spenser1058

On 6/15/2019 at 11:24 PM, aent said:

You keep dodging the original question, how was it ironic? I said the Republicans pushed Sunrail, for better or worse, and if you think its worse, thats on them. Sunrail wasn't my favorite project, but it was something that got done.

I think Mica liked trains and not buses. He pushed OBX as well, which was moving through the process until he got kicked out of office. That line had nothing to do with CSX. Its not hard to see why Mica didn't like buses... they don't offer real advantages over many other transit types. Trains can move faster and don't have to wait for traffic. Traditional regional bus systems, now more then ever, are typically only for those who can't afford alternative ways to get around. People prefer their own vehicle, Uber, or just about anything else before the public buses, and as Lyft and Uber get more successful, its often coming at the expense of buses, as they provide a service more people really want.

But looking at South Florida, Tri Rail's most popular station is in the wealthy Boca Raton... buses aren't popular there at all, people use Uber or drive, but it makes it faster and easier to get to Miami (and Metrorail) and WPB.

Democrat Dyer and co didn't push the airport (which Dyer sits on the board of) to permit Globalvia to build Orlando Maglev (or an alternative light rail system if it didn't work out). If it wasn't for them trying to get tax dollars to go towards an I-Drive route because of the fear of private succeeding and showing an alternative way to raising taxes like they love to do. Instead they want a public system which they don't fear will eat into rental car revenues, and they can fund with a sales tax increase instead of farebox revenues.

Speaking of which, what real, substantial, effective transit systems have they actually got running since the County Commission changed parties? All I've heard about is they want to raise taxes (especially a 1%  sales tax) to fund transit, and little details on what we'll get in return for that. Let alone a launched system like Sunrail.

The new OC Mayor has stated that they’re coming up with a concrete plan for projects if and when the sales tax gets built. He’s also mentioned this will borrow heavily from the Metroplan Orlando priority projects list.

Poor Andrew came in last in terms of actual time speaking. Hopefully, in the next go-‘round he can figure out how to muscle past some of the politicians and be heard since he has some really unique ideas. Otherwise, hopefully someone snags his for a Cabinet Post.

Hank, for some reason, there wasn’t a peep about trains (grumble, grumble)...

Edited by spenser1058

Yeah, Yang was completely out of his element. The "moderators" didn't do him any favors either. It is a shame, because he has a lot of great ideas, but clearly is NOT a typical politician. He knows it and said as much today.  That is, incidentally, one reason why I like Yang so much. He has a hard time doing the standard politician BS, pandering, and talking louder than everybody else. 

I honestly don't think Yang has a legitimate shot to win the nomination but wanted him to at least get a fair platform to talk about his ideas on that stage. I was kind of hoping, like you, that he could be considered for a VEEP role or cabinet position after his ideas are heard.  And it's not just UBI, although that is a big part of it. 

There is a big online campaign today that is trending nationally for #LetYangSpeak.  Haha.  Maybe them not letting him get his fair share will be beneficial to his cause when the internet uses it as a symbol for the unfairness and corruption in politics that tries to ensure that the radical non-politician candidate to be silenced and marginalized. 

https://twitter.com/hashtag/LetYangSpeak?src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A1144632323469643778

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

I'm confused because I check this thread because it's not about politics, but it is about politics.  Much like Spense & I have made the airport thread about GM now!  HAHAHAHAHA

But no chat about trains is disheartening.  They should get on the real issues!  Trains!  I obviously don't watch debates and don't really spend much time even thinking about politicians beyond anyone who represents me on a local level, but they really need to start some train talk.

• Like 1