Just Wow

spenser1058

A list of US public transportation that would have been less to spend on than losses by Uber in a He last couple of years.

It’s been interesting to be told by numerous fanboys during the last two years how superior Uber was as they smashed the labor standards and safety protocols of taxi companies like Mears, whose local owners contributed millions to local non-profits like Valencia.

After destroying Mears and forcing its sale to a private equity group, it turns out the Uber model is unsustainable. Great job, guys!

https://jalopnik.com/public-transit-projects-cheaper-than-ubers-5-2-billion-1837080980/amp

From Jalopnik

Yes, folks, tulip mania is capitalism, too.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/8/8/20793793/uber-5-billion-quarter-loss-profit-lyft-traffic-2019

From The Verge 

Edited by spenser1058

Wekiva or Wekiwa? After 100 years we still aren’t sure:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20190811-uu7yozj5tzdpvloimerb3wbljm-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

BTW, did you know FTU almost ended up where Wekiwa Spriings State Park is?

One reason it didn’t is because Martin Andersen and others wanted to tie us to the Space Coast. It’s something to keep in mind if someone tries to tell you Brevard’s not a part of the region (you can also ask the bureaucrats at the ECFRPC or the SJRWMD).

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/10/2019 at 3:23 PM, spenser1058 said:

A list of US public transportation that would have been less to spend on than losses by Uber in a He last couple of years.

It’s been interesting to be told by numerous fanboys during the last two years how superior Uber was as they smashed the labor standards and safety protocols of taxi companies like Mears, whose local owners contributed millions to local non-profits like Valencia.

After destroying Mears and forcing its sale to a private equity group, it turns out the Uber model is unsustainable. Great job, guys!

https://jalopnik.com/public-transit-projects-cheaper-than-ubers-5-2-billion-1837080980/amp

From Jalopnik

Yes, folks, tulip mania is capitalism, too.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/8/8/20793793/uber-5-billion-quarter-loss-profit-lyft-traffic-2019

From The Verge 

Mears often used the same business model as Uber, renting out their vehicles and calling all the drivers subcontractors. Uber at least gave more money back to the people. There's no significant difference between safety of taxis for ride-shares.

Also, those projects collectively probably wouldn't carry as many people as Uber did over the past several years. And the most important point of them all: those losses are being paid for by willing investors who decided to take a risk in the company (and some may still pay off, Uber has invested much in self driving cars and other new products/services to try to compete in more areas and reduce costs). Nobody was forced to pay for Uber's losses or bad decisions: all willing parties. If any of those projects listed in that article fail, pretty much all the people are forced to pay. Just like California's HSR to nowhere forced literally everyone to pay for a failed service.

If Uber fails, Mears could easily come back, or Lyft, or another competitor (Google's even expressed interest in the space). Nobody misses the Mears of the old days, where nobody was even sure if the taxi would show up at all. It was all just about what Mears felt like doing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aent said:

Nobody misses the Mears of the old days, where nobody was even sure if the taxi would show up at all. It was all just about what Mears felt like doing.

Amen to that!  I've only had one semi-bad experience with Uber/Lyft drivers.  I've had so many bad Mears experiences.  So many.  So so so many.

• Haha 1

In a democracy, it’s important to remember that, no matter how hard we try, some folks just won’t get it.

Case in point: as you may know, the UK is currently facing a bit of an existential crisis regarding whether or not to leave the European Union. One of the parties most strongly in favor of that happening is the Brexit Party. In fact, it’s what the party is named for and pretty much its reason to exist.

Wherever you may stand on Brexit, you may be a bit confused, as are most Brits, that in a recent poll on the subject, only 98% of Brexit members voted to leave the EU.

It seems 2% of the party wants to remain. Any guesses as to why you’d be a Brexiter if you were opposed to its very purpose for being? 

Supposedly, “there will always be an England”, but you have to wonder (not that we’d necessarily fare better if we queried our voters.

https://www.indy100.com/article/brexit-party-members-survation-poll-remain-leave-eu-referendum-9059276?amp

From The Independent

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It seems 2% of the party wants to remain. Any guesses as to why you’d be a Brexiter if you were opposed to its very purpose for being? 

That is hilarious. I mean, we definitely have some Republicans running as Democrats in more conservative states, as thats the only chance the D's have of winning in them. And vice versa. Is that possibly what is happening there? I have no idea on UK politics.

Edit:

The other thing that happens in America is people purposely register for the wrong parties to try to vote in their primaries/internal party votes. Sounds like it could be that as well?

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Be very afraid! The Wall Street Journal Op-Ed page is coming for the “New Left Urbanists”!

The accompanying graphic is definitely cool, though...

https://jalopnik.com/i-never-knew-an-op-ed-could-be-so-stupid-1837515917

Via Jalopnik

So I had to go to wsj to read the entire op-ed as I was certain the jalopnik article painted an over absurd picture, but nope, the wsj op-ed was seriously deranged. There are places where I expect to see stupid opinions being bandied about, but its hard to believe a respectable paper would print such crap.

• Like 1

Had to bring my plants inside for the expected hurricane and my favorite adenium bloomed in my bathroom today. 

This is the most robust plant I have ever seen. It's been through 4 or 5 hurricanes (or so) abject neglect at times, some less than ideal parentage and conditions and still survived and thrived.

What a trooper!

Sorry plant, and thank you at the same time. .  .

Spidey.jpg

Flower.jpg

20190905_031743.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

Had to bring my plants inside for the expected hurricane and my favorite adenium bloomed in my bathroom today. 

This is the most robust plant I have ever seen. It's been through 4 or 5 hurricanes (or so) abject neglect at times, some less than ideal parentage and conditions and still survived and thrived.

What a trooper!

Sorry plant, and thank you at the same time. .  .

Spidey.jpg

Flower.jpg

20190905_031743.jpg

Pretty. Isn't this what us commoners call desert rose. One of my tenants has one and that's what she calls it.

• Like 1

Yes, It is a desert rose, but there are different varieties of the adenium species. Desert rose is the generic name that usually refers to the "pinkies" of the obesum classification. (this is an obesum, but a variety bred so the flowers are redder and fringed on the edge of the petals). Adenium is the broader classification including other varieties including adenium arabicum, adenium swazicum and adenium crispum

I have a few different varieties as well as a plumeria and several pachypodium that are similar, but different. 

They are nice plants and are very tolerant to brown thumbs. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1