Just Wow

spenser1058

From our “way too early to matter but keep it in mind anyway” department, it seems that a Wall Street sort is putting AT&T in play.

For us, this mostly matters because it will keep management busy with financial sturm und drang rather than concentrating on things like 5G. Since Orlando is a former Bell city, their network here is often one they ramp up relatively early.

Since AT&T also owns Time-Warner, the suits at Disney also have to pay attention to this folderol. With Disney+ ramping up (AT&T was about to compete with them on that) plus any affect on one of the last remaining Hollywood studios this is likely to take attention in Burbank away from the parks division (of which WDW is the largest piece).

It’s especially unfortunate timing in that Disney CEO Bob Iger ain’t getting any younger, and as usual Disney’s succession protocols are a mess.

Comcast/Universal  is also not immune from any of this.

Stay tuned to see how all this plays out.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/09/att-shares-jump-after-activist-elliot-management-takes-stake-sees-shares-nearly-doubling.html

From CNBC

Edited by spenser1058

7 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ever wonder how much contributors to local blogs get paid? Orlando Rising takes a look:

https://orlando-rising.com/popular-disney-blogs-pay-writers-as-little-as-3-per-article/

And to think we post all our fabulous thoughts for free!

I saw that too. Makes me wonder if we're expecting too much from contributors when they have very small incentives to ensure their grammar and spelling are on point and lack the luxury of having an editor clean everything up before going to press.

5 hours ago, AmIReal said:

We post good stuff for free.

I wouldn't be surprised if the blogs and local papers regularly peruse this forum for scoops on development. At least Matthew (the original Bungalower) used to h/t when using our posts as inspiration. Haven't seen the OS or any blogs do that since. :tw_smirk:

• Like 1

Yeah, that's why I don't feel bad about not paying for memberships. The timing of some articles have always been a little close after someone on UP does the research. Of course they could always say they reported on it previously and credit other media outlets, but they never mention UP anymore. Even when I scooped VMC, not one peep (and Ponte's initial press release was made in obscurity).

Orlando is developing a strength in the presentation of new plays relative to other cities, thanks in part due to the success of our local Fringe:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/arts-and-theater/os-et-orlando-new-play-festivals-20190916-tm7vfqbxtbfczatbfreodv3ao4-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Spenser I went into a redesigned Target for the first time yesterday afternoon.  I know you love that place now, but it was pure insanity.  I'm fairly sure that a blind, rabid monkey designed the layout.  It was just horrible.  I was JUST WOW'ing in my mind the entire time.  Nothing flows.  Nothing makes sense.  Wow.  Just wow.  It was horrible and I have no desire to spend another minute in that store.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

Spenser I went into a redesigned Target for the first time yesterday afternoon.  I know you love that place now, but it was pure insanity.  I'm fairly sure that a blind, rabid monkey designed the layout.  It was just horrible.  I was JUST WOW'ing in my mind the entire time.  Nothing flows.  Nothing makes sense.  Wow.  Just wow.  It was horrible and I have no desire to spend another minute in that store.

Oh my. Interesting. Supposedly, the redesigned stores get an almost instant bump in increased sales. Target’s prime demographic these days is young millennial families.

Assuming that doesn’t describe you, it follows it might make you a little crazy. The increased fashion-forward vibe (more mannequins and department store ambience with nooks and crannies and less of a straightforward raceway layout) also helps differentiate it from Walmart.

(Dirty little secret: I still prefer Publix for grocery shopping other than their politics which drove me to Target in the first place.)

I rarely actually buy anything in Target - I order online and pick up at Guest Service so I don’t actually see much of the stores.

Which store was it? Was it a SuperTarget? Grocery is also now undergoing a huge redo with Good and Gather. I will have to go on an adventure!

Thanks for the report.

Edited by spenser1058

It was the Waterford Lakes Super Target.  You are correct, I do not fall into those categories.

Target was always a place where everything made sense.  You knew where everything would be and it really isn't that way now.  I'm not sure they care about my opinion because I haven't been inside a Target more than a handful of times in the last couple of years, but I definitely won't be going there now.  Most shopping is unpleasant for me, but Target was always a bit different.  I have started moving to a pickup or delivery mode in recent years and garage like that store will just make that easier to do.

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

It was the Waterford Lakes Super Target.  You are correct, I do not fall into those categories.

Target was always a place where everything made sense.  You knew where everything would be and it really isn't that way now.  I'm not sure they care about my opinion because I haven't been inside a Target more than a handful of times in the last couple of years, but I definitely won't be going there now.  Most shopping is unpleasant for me, but Target was always a bit different.  I have started moving to a pickup or delivery mode in recent years and garage like that store will just make that easier to do.

Idk, makes plenty sense to me. Using the Colonial Target as an example, It was bonkers that particular Target carried pet and cleaning supplies in the most trafficked part of the store. They have logically moved low margin, low volume product to the corners and things that have more sizzle close to the entrances. In the case of the Colonial store, that means trendy makeup and “self-care” products from the likes of Harry’s as one example.  Very millennial but it also made plain business sense. 

Edited by leondecollao
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, leondecollao said:

Idk, makes plenty sense to me. Using the Colonial Target as an example, It was bonkers that particular Target carried pet and cleaning supplies in the most trafficked part of the store. They have logically moved low margin, low volume product to the corners and things that have more sizzle close to the entrances. In the case of the Colonial store, that means trendy makeup and “self-care” products from the likes of Harry’s as one example.  Very millennial but it also made plain business sense. 

When you walk in the WL store, the first thing you see is the dollar store section (like it has always been), some children's clothes, greeting cards, and home goods like lamps & ottomans.

Instead of there being a set men's section, women's section, and children's section, they are sort of blended in with each other.  I was looking at undershirts and suddenly was looking at kid's stuff.  If you walked 5' the other direction, you were looking at a UCF cornhole game.