Just Wow

spenser1058

I have one downvote that I placed according to my profile. I’m like you and don’t believe in them so it was probably a mistake but it doesn’t link so I can undo it. It’s easy to click on like and it stalls on downvote so I’ve had to fix it when it happened a time or two

The only time I ever thought about using one was with Reality so maybe that’s it.

Even if I disagree with someone I figure they’re entitled to their opinion just like I am. 

Someone gave me one but I still love them anyway!

8 hours ago, HankStrong said:

A random Just Wow bit of board randomness.

Has anyone else noticed that the DOWNVOTE option is being used like hotcakes these days?  Do we downvote anything we don't agree with now?  Is that the way it works?  I don't agree with a lot of stuff, but I tend to save that for downright dumb posts.

I think I’ve used the downvote button once, where somebody (I forget who) make an eyeroll-worthy blanket statement a few days ago.

I too try to save downvotes for the right occasions. That’s in stark contrast to other sites. For example I don’t consider this forum like I do Reddit, where 85% of users are literal scumbag savages and/or immature, annoying minors. Here it seems much more balanced, more intelligent, and more sophisticated, and so I try to conduct myself in like manner.

Just my opinion. If anyone wanted to use the downvote button to oblivion, I wouldn’t stop them or have a problem with it.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:13 AM, HankStrong said:

A random Just Wow bit of board randomness.

Has anyone else noticed that the DOWNVOTE option is being used like hotcakes these days?  Do we downvote anything we don't agree with now?  Is that the way it works?  I don't agree with a lot of stuff, but I tend to save that for downright dumb posts.

Totally agree on this. I reserve downvotes for egregious comments or people who completely cross the line and the fact that you received several red arrows just for pointing this out -- even in jest-- is just baffling to me. As someone who frequently used Disqus in the past on another platform, downvotes took on a different meaning than how it is being used here (neo nazis, hate speech, trolling, glaringly misinformed, alternative facts, etc.) Oh well.:dontknow:

• Like 2

By popular request here at UP, I’ll now be posting over at SSC Orlando.

I have five new posts up today and I hope you’ll check them out.

I’ve had an opportunity to watch the dynamism and excitement that Danny White has brought to UCF Athletics and that Mayor Pete is bringing to the Democratic presidential primary.

It has led me to recognize just what a rut we’ve gotten ourselves into at the local (and state) level.

I want to work to discover how we can gain that same sense of wonder we had when we elected our first mayor of Orlando’s modern era and the dynamism that could be seen in all of our neighborhoods.

USF just went through the process of selecting a new head coach and many in the fan base kept trying to bring back coaches from a decade or more ago, even though that rarely works out (see UCONN or the Magic under Brian Hill’s second run).

As it turned out, they hired a young OC from Clemson, Jeff Scott, whose family has deep ties to USF and Florida but who is young enough to bring a whole new level of excitement to a program that badly needs it.

Sadly, for some reason we’ve gotten in the same mindset here in Orlando. Re-electing the same folks who have been doing the same things for 20 years (and neglecting all the same blind spots), while ancient entrepreneurs from 30 and 40 years ago are supposed to lead us into the future.

That’s not Orlando, which has always been one of the youngest cities in Florida, both in the age of its citizens and its “can-do” spirit in doing things a little differently.

I want to look for that new Orlando again that revels in its historic core while trying all sorts of new things in government, business and entertainment to make this the place everyone wishes they could live.

I hope you’ll stop in over at SSC now and then and see how we’re doing.

Charge On!

The Economist looks into why Star Wars has not been the unalloyed success for the company that Marvel has and why they believe Disney can fix it:

https://www.economist.com/business/2019/12/16/will-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-rebalance-disneys-universe

(You may have to register but you don’t have to pay.)

The article also notes something I discovered in reading posts about SW:GE: no one seems to hate Star Wars as much as Star Wars fans do.

We Trekkies need to send Counselor Troi over to help them chill...

Edited by spenser1058

They are already fixing it . . . The key to SW franchise is serialized content for streaming, not the movies. The movies have done very well at the box office despite "hardcore fans" not really liking them all that much. Disney dumbed them down a bit to fit a broader audience. 

The Mandalorian and  other upcoming streaming series are what makes the SW universe work. They are knocking it out of the park with the Mandalorian and  one of the top directors is signed on to do another streaming series based on Obi-wan Kenobi. They also have talked about creating content based upon their long-running video game franchise for streaming. 

Additionally, the new SW lands and Rise of the Resistance ride at theme parks have been called groundbreaking immersive experiences and "the current and future standard of immersive theme park attractions." 

If you are just looking at critical reviews of the movies, you are missing the big picture. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a moment of personal privilege, I have to thank @orange87 for declaring me a “liberal”.

All the Bernie Bros on Twitter think we Mayor Pete supporters are just Republicans in donkey costumes so it makes me feel quite proud. And, indeed, out and proud, despite the recent use of gay as an insult.

As always, as Spock said, “IDIC” (infinite diversity in infinite combination) and, bless our hearts, we certainly have that at UP Orlando!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

And, indeed, out and proud, despite the recent use of gay as an insult.

I'll tell you that despite being as straight as they come, I'll roll in glitter with you since I can't imagine using that as an insult in 2019/20.  Glitter strong with Spense!

#glitterstrongwithspense

Edited by HankStrong
  • Like 2

Orlando made the Forbes list of Top 25 places to visit in 2020.

Granted, we were the choice of just one writer and she seems to only write about amusement parks. But she did mention our "dozens of small neighborhoods to explore, each with their own individual flair". Unfortunately the only one she could name was Winter Park. On the bright side, she did name drop 3 great places to check out, but none of them are open yet and one of them likely won't be open in 2020 and another is fronted by "the most hated chef in Dallas".

But, yay, we made the list...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2019/12/19/best-places-travel-us-2020/#6a1326b54898

Just for Hank: All aboard Amtrak! New Orleans to Austin.

The size of the N’awlins station amazed me:

https://youtu.be/lQ819gzDQ44

And... SFO to SEA in Amtrak Business Class:

https://youtu.be/WT8_dF26Gjg

Both of these trains appear to be in good shape. The intra-continental trains don’t make a lot of sense when Amtrak’s funding is so constrained by Congress. In fact, much like NASA spreading out its facilities across the country, it’s not done due to efficiency but rather to be as in many congressional districts as possible to keep legislators voting for funding.

Someday, both NASA and Amtrak need to move to a model like that of the DoD’s base closures, where they determine the best way to run things and Congress simply votes up or down.

Although Joe Biden’s not my pick for pres, if he should win things may well be better for Amtrak than they have been in years since he rode the rails for years between DC and Wilmington while he was in the Senate.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The short-lived Gold Triangle on E. Colonial Drive was an odd duck of a store. One of the weirdest things about it was they didn’t bother to cover the floors, choosing to leave the bare concrete exposed. As a teenager, I remember being unimpressed.

After it closed, it sat empty for years until Target eventually bought the remaining buildings in Florida.

The E. Colonial building opened with the first round of Orlando Targets about 1990. Today, thanks to a later addition, it is significantly larger than originally but retains a relatively low ceiling compared to most discount stores.

http://skycity2.blogspot.com/2010/02/gold-triangle-stores-fds-division-in.html?m=1