Just Wow

spenser1058

Don’t forget that if you live in OC, the Orange County Library System is an amazing resource available to you at no charge.

It’s one of the best lending libraries in the country with books, films and music all available to be checked out. You can also do online e-books.

Best of all, they deliver free! Just request what you want online. It’s contactless and when you take your items back you can also drop them off in the outside drop off box.

They also do a lot of things like computer training and the like you wouldn’t normally expect from a library. The branches are closed during the COVID-19 emergency so check the website to find out all the things you can still do online.

https://www.ocls.info/

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Valencia College is also moving online during the emergency.

President Sandy Shugart (one of the folks who have helped in achieving VC’s ranking as one of the top community colleges in the country and actually #1 more than once) makes a great point in this video about how they’re doing everything possible to make this work for students:

https://twitter.com/carlosgsmith/status/1242108848418193408?s=21

We often talk about who the leaders are in Central Florida. Dr. Shugart is definitely near the top of the list.

• Like 1

What with Florida being among the swingiest of swing states, we tend to get presidential visits pretty often now. The Donald was just here this month.

I first saw a president locally in first grade when LBJ made a campaign speech in the parking  lot of Colonial Plaza (he still lost OC to Goldwater that fall but romped pretty much everywhere else).

I next saw Nixon at Disney’s Contemporary Resort when he made his (in)famous “I’m not a crook” speech. Since then, I’ve seen appearances here by Poppy Bush (1000 points of light at Epcot), Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. Candidates I’ve seen in town include Al Gore (I also worked on his congressional campaign in Nashville) and, this year, Mayor Pete. I never saw Jimmy Carter here but worked on a Habitat project with him and Rosalynn and visited his Sunday School class in Plains.

Nevertheless, it used to be quite an event when presidents came to Central Florida. Here’s FDR:

https://twitter.com/historycenterfl/status/1242116506697203716?s=21

From the History Center

One president ( I can’t remember which one) went bass fishing in WG and stayed at the Edgewater Hotel. Harry Truman dedicated the causeway on Mills by AdventHealth.

Dan Quayle once stopped in at Brian’s on North Orange Ave. for some sticky buns.

Of course, you can see all our presidents at the Magic Kingdom at the Hall of Presidents once it opens back up. It’s safe to say that living hereabouts you’ll have plenty of chances to see the Nation’s chief executive or the wannabes if you want to.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Wish me luck - I’m making shrimp au gratin for the first time today. It doesn’t look too hard. My repertoire grows!

Sounds good, enjoy. Creamy shrimp primavera would be much easier and would incorporate some veggies... :)

Don't want to gain the COVID "19" do we...?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Sounds good, enjoy. Creamy shrimp primavera would be much easier and would incorporate some veggies... :)

Don't want to gain the COVID "19" do we...?

So true. I’m doing the veggies on the side. It’s been sort of slim pickings on the produce aisle lately, though, so I’m reduced to Birds Eye *sigh*

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

So true. I’m doing the veggies on the side. It’s been sort of slim pickings on the produce aisle lately, though, so I’m reduced to Birds Eye *sigh*

Hey now don't knock frozen veggies.  Often it's as good or even better than supermarket produce.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elefants said:

Hey now don't knock frozen veggies.  Often it's as good or even better than supermarket produce.

That’s true. Green peas are fine as are greens that you’re boiling anyway (remember, I’m a Southern boy). But frozen Brussels sprouts are just waaaay too mushy and asparagus is just meh.

OK, today I’m making my own bleu cheese dressing to go with my Good & Gather spring mix (see, @nite owℓ , I haven’t abandoned Target!)

The recipe says I can use Gorgonzola instead of bleu cheese. I have some of that left from last week so we’ll see how that works.

A problem with Marie’s and Litehouse that you get refrigerated in the Publix produce section (bottled creamy dressings are just ick) is that they tend to be cloying. This recipe mixes sour cream with the mayo (from Target!) and is supposedly lighter. We’ll see.

I used to be a big fan of the Galloping Gourmet, Graham Kerr, in his pre-born again, tipsy days*. I wonder if I could have as much fun in the kitchen as he did. Hmmm.

*This was during summer vacation when I was about 10. Graham Kerr was first, then Phil Donahue when he did the show from Dayton and the only names he could get to go to Ohio tended to be politicians. I loved it - yes, I was a strange child. Mon-Fri mornings on Channel 2 were Must See TV! (right after Captain Kangaroo On Channel 6, of course...)

Edited by spenser1058

Wilton Manors (Broward County) is one of the most gay-friendly cities in the country (it has had not only a gay mayor but also a majority gay city council).

So, we might expect a police car to reflect that:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-ne-wilton-manors-rainbow-gay-police-car-20190201-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sun-Sentinel

How else to describe it but... FABULOUS.

• Like 1

Gorgonzola > bleu cheese. I put it in almost everything, including salads and forgo the dressing. I used to work as a prep cook for a restaurant that ordered Gorgonzola cheese wheels - the kind in the large foil packaging. Cutting and breaking it down it into smaller portions was just foul... the appearance, the juices leaking everywhere and the stench. The smell would waft into the dining area, causing the servers to investigate the source. The expression, "Who cut the cheese?" made total sense after that experience. But it did give me the chance to sample the freshest stock before the flavor died down after sitting in the fridge for months weeks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Gorgonzola > bleu cheese. I put it in almost everything, including salads and forgo the dressing. I used to work as a prep cook for a restaurant that ordered Gorgonzola cheese wheels - the kind in the large foil packaging. Cutting and breaking it down it into smaller portions was just foul... the appearance, the juices leaking everywhere and the stench. The smell would waft into the dining area, causing the servers to investigate the source. The expression, "Who cut the cheese?" made total sense after that experience. But it did give me the chance to sample the freshest stock before the flavor died down after sitting in the fridge for months weeks.

Ooooh - I like that. I’ve been sprinkling salads with Gorgonzola and using Italian dressing. It’s good but just too vinegary for me.

Otoh, dressings like Marie’s are just too thick and bury the veggies. I’m looking for a middle ground. With two weeks (at least) off from my day job and my political consulting having slowed to a standstill, I figure it’s a great time to finally solve this conundrum.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ooooh - I like that. I’ve been sprinkling salads with Gorgonzola and using Italian dressing. It’s good but just too vinegary for me.

Otoh, dressings like Marie’s are just too thick and bury the veggies. I’m looking for a middle ground. With two weeks (at least) off from my day job and my political consulting having slowed to a standstill, I figure it’s a great time to finally solve this conundrum.

2 oz white wine vinegar (or champagne vinegar or red wine vinegar if you like, but never plain white vinegar)

1 tbl Dijon mustard

salt and pepper to taste, some people add a pinch of sugar

drizzle in 4 oz olive oil (up to 6 oz if wanted) while whisking or add the oil and shake in a shaker until creamy and emulsified

you can add yogurt or buttermilk if you want a creamy dressing

dress and toss your greens before adding other ingredients... much better.

never buy store bought dressing.

• Thanks 1