Just Wow

spenser1058

Malaysia appears to have a good grip on how to best manage a stay at home order. Their Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development issued guidelines advising women against, "not nagging their husbands" and to "refrain from being "sarcastic" if they asked for help with household chores." The guidelines also "urged women working from home to dress up and wear makeup."

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/01/825051317/dont-nag-your-husband-during-lock-down-malaysias-government-advises-women

• Haha 1

Meanwhile, for the life of me I don’t get why the Millennials are so enamored of doing the full Smith Bros. with their facial hair. If I go more than two days without shaving, it drives me insane.

And good heavens if I were still in the dating pool these days. Kissing some dude with fur all over his face - just ick. Needless to say I was never into bears.

Thank goodness I came of age in the ‘80’s when we had palpitations over perfectly starched khakis (to give you an idea, the Atlanta bar I came out in was the “Pharr Library” in Buckhead).

Rant concluded - I’ll settle down now.

Edited by spenser1058

I don't have any new books, but we have a nicely stocked library (BOOKS IN PERSON??? WHAT??? COVERS?  PAPER???) and we've pulled a few down.  I signed up for the Kindle Unlimited, but I'm having issues finding decent stuff and might not keep it.  I still love holding a book, though, so it's not ideal for my style of reading.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I don't have any new books, but we have a nicely stocked library (BOOKS IN PERSON??? WHAT??? COVERS?  PAPER???) and we've pulled a few down.  I signed up for the Kindle Unlimited, but I'm having issues finding decent stuff and might not keep it.  I still love holding a book, though, so it's not ideal for my style of reading.

I have KU and just got through reading Doris Kearns Goodwin’s Bio on LBJ (it’s her only book currently on KU). I also read M/M fiction and some of my favorite authors of those use it but I found once I got through the backlist of titles I like, there’s mostly dreck. I go back and forth every month whether to keep it.

As for my Kindle, I’m a believer. E-books are much easier to read and carry around. Ironically, old folks like me are more likely to prefer e-books than the Milennials (to the extent they read at all).

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Tom Brady just called Tampa “South Florida “in an interview. Maybe he thinks he signed with the Dolphins?

Well, their university is called The University of South Florida, so.... :dontknow:

I think I've heard the area referred to as being south Florida before, too.

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, their university is called The University of South Florida, so.... :dontknow:

I think I've heard the area referred to as being south Florida before, too.

Well, yes. In fact, once upon a time our newspaper was The South Florida Sentinel.

Do you still say Orlando is in South Florida?

They should have updated their name years ago (we didn’t have any problem doing that, now did we?)

As for the fine Mr. Brady, it’s customary to get to know your city pretty quickly when you arrive. For example, I learned in my first week in Nashville that, unlike CENTRAL Florida, the region of the state they were in was MIDDLE Tennessee. And, unlike Tom, nobody even knew who I was.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, yes. In fact, once upon a time our newspaper was The South Florida Sentinel.

Do you still say Orlando is in South Florida?

They should have updated their name years ago (we didn’t have any problem doing that, now did we?)

As for the fine Mr. Brady, it’s customary to get to know your city pretty quickly when you arrive. For example, I learned in my first week in Nashville that, unlike CENTRAL Florida, the region of the state they were in was MIDDLE Tennessee. And, unlike Tom, nobody even knew who I was.

I suppose he has bigger fish to fry.

And if he leads the Schmucks to a championship, he'll be able to call it South Massachusetts and nobody in the Greater Tampa area will care.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I suppose he has bigger fish to fry.

And if he leads the Schmucks to a championship, he'll be able to call it South Massachusetts and nobody in the Greater Tampa area will care.

An excellent point!

BTW, while we’re talking about it, you Brevard County folks have an odd sense of geography.

When BCC changed its name to reflect its four-year college status, it decided to call itself “Eastern Florida State College”.

In the state’s nearly 500-year history, we have NEVER had an “Eastern Florida”. This area has been East Florida, South Florida, Central Florida, Mid-Florida, even Mosquito County. Our bureaucrats call themselves the “East Central Florida Regional Planning Council”.

Did y’all let some misplaced Yankee loose over there?

Edited by spenser1058

Having grown up in the area, we always referred to Tampa-St. Pete as Central Florida and Manatee County and  below as "Southwest" Florida. 

Nobody on the West Coast ever called themselves South Florida. Thats for Dade/Broward. 

Monroe and the Keys are another planet. 

• Like 1

Growing up on the Gulf beaches of Pinellas County, it was always simply “the Tampa Bay Area” around me. I never heard people refer to it as Central Florida. Maybe the occasional “west coast” or “the Sun Coast.”

Agree on Sarasota & Ft. Myers being “Southwest Florida.” “Central Florida” was Orlando, “South Florida” was greater Miami, the Keys were the Keys, and everything else was North Florida.

We don’t talk about the panhandle. [emoji23]

• Like 1

If you’re not required to file a tax return but would like your upcoming stimulus payment via direct deposit instead of waiting for a check (checks may take several months; dd’s are scheduled to start posting next week), here’s the place to go and update your info with IRS:

https://twitter.com/byheatherlong/status/1248664682015137792?s=2

If you filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return you should be golden.

Edited by spenser1058