Just Wow

spenser1058

So.... the ability to book reservations at the Downtown Y finally hit my app this morning and I signed up. I didn’t know how awkward it would be but it turned out pretty seamless for the treads and machine weights.

My app’t. was at noon; I only spent 20 minutes since I haven’t worked out in 2 months. It wasn’t crowded at all so it went better than. I expected.

I’m going back tomorrow... stay tuned.

It’s not often that Florida can claim it’s own school of artists but it did just that with the Highwaymen.

While it’s a tragedy their incredible work grew out of an inability to display in regular galleries due to idiotic Jim Crow laws, these men persevered with methods like selling from the trunks of their cars. Of course,this meant they had to settle for much lower payment for their paintings than they were worth which just makes the tale even more heartrending.

In honor of their work that it’s exciting that not only will a film be made about the Highwaymen but it will also be filmed here in Florida.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/movies/os-et-highwaymen-movie-20200531-hhqigswivbf6xjwmb2k232tgsu-story.html

From the Sentinel 

The problem comes that those who commit the violence often have no affiliation with the peaceful protesters - there are groups on both the right and the left with such agendas.

In any event, the actual violence this time around has been much less than we have seen on previous occasions such as 1968 and the Rodney King riots.

Personally, although I haven’t personally dealt with the most violent situations, I was present in Florida during the 2000 presidential election for the “Brooks Brothers Riot”, which turned out to be totally staged by third parties.

For more on “dirty tricks”, google Roger Stone (who was just recently convicted) or, more broadly, that took place in the 1972 elections. On the left, checkout “Leninist election tactics”.

Long time CBS News anchor Dan Rather addresses @JFW657 ‘s point about why protests matter. It shows those who pay little attention to politics that something is seriously out of whack. It’s also not just “those people” who march: protests were a key strategy in gaining women’s right to vote and in the debate over Prohibition.

https://twitter.com/danrather/status/1268740642437394432?s=21

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Long time CBS News anchor Dan Rather addresses @JFW657 ‘s point about why protests matter. It shows those who pay little attention to politics that something is seriously out of whack. It’s also not just “those people” who march: protests were a key strategy in gaining women’s right to vote and in the debate over Prohibition.

https://twitter.com/danrather/status/1268740642437394432?s=21

I don't think I said they don't matter at all.

They matter to varying degrees for different causes.

My point was that other things had a much greater effect on social change than protest marches. Certainly protest marches have played a role in calling attention to situations, but real and lasting change in society comes with time and the changing attitudes of younger generations rebelling against the attitudes and mores of  their parents. 

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I don't think I said they don't matter at all.

They matter to varying degrees for different causes.

My point was that other things had a much greater effect on social change than protest marches. Certainly protest marches have played a role in calling attention to situations, but real and lasting change in society comes with time and the changing attitudes of younger generations rebelling against the attitudes and mores of  their parents. 

And becoming passionately involved to change things. Young people want to do things together and make a difference- this is a way to do so. Yes, voting is important, but it isn’t terribly exciting (except, of course. when Republicans go out of their way to keep you from doing it, but that’s another topic). On the other hand, they’ll be talking about their marches together for the rest of their lives (as boomers do about the ‘60’s while making fun of young people for not caring about anything but video games - guess what, they care).

So it turns out the recession began in February, which makes it harder to blame everything on COVID (although it no doubt exacerbated things after that).

The report notes employment peaked in February). Keep in mind employment is a lagging economic indicator, which means there was weakness in the system prior to that.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-coronavirus-economic-recession-20200608-io4mzrtutfdaxa6ra5uj3zsqb4-story.html

From the Chicago Tribune 

• Thanks 1