Just Wow

spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

In this editorial in The Jaxson about fulfilling the promise of consolidation (it’s been 50 years and they haven’t), it’s interesting to note in light of our recent discussion that one of the prime goals is to replace septic tanks with sewers and preserve the St. Johns River. Sound familiar. Septic tanks are an anathema to the protection of Florida’s environment.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/its-tommys-moment-to-fulfill-consolidations-promises

Craft beer is a lot more of a thing in the US than it was when Jim Koch started Sam Adams. Here’s a look at the business and I’m still loyal to Sam after all these years:

From Business Insider

Think about all the places craft beer are sold and/or made in Orlando now. In 1975, almost none of that existed except a few places like Mr. Dunderbak’s.

It’s also interesting to consider that none of the Big Beer companies are American-owned anymore in a complete turnaround from those days.

Edited by spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In this editorial in The Jaxson about fulfilling the promise of consolidation (it’s been 50 years and they haven’t), it’s interesting to note in light of our recent discussion that one of the prime goals is to replace septic tanks with sewers and preserve the St. Johns River. Sound familiar. Septic tanks are an anathema to the protection of Florida’s environment.

https://www.thejaxsonmag.com/article/its-tommys-moment-to-fulfill-consolidations-promises

Nice feel-good happy talk.  :) 

But likely not much else. 

Barely even touched upon the subject of septic tanks and sewage treatment.

At any rate, as I said, septic tanks are only harmful when they are too close to bodies of surface water or underground springs.

EPA says so, too.  

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Craft beer is a lot more of a thing in the US than it was when Jim Koch started Sam Adams. Here’s a look at the business and I’m still loyal to Sam after all these years:

From Business Insider

Think about all the places craft beer are sold and/or made in Orlando now. In 1975, almost none of that existed except a few places like Mr. Dunderbak’s.

It’s also interesting to consider that none of the Big Beer companies are American-owned anymore in a complete turnaround from those days.

I've got a six pack of Budweiser long necks in the fridge for later on tonight.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Have you ever wondered why Target’s politics lean toward Democratic but their primary color is red while Walmart’s politics lean toward Republican but their primary color is blue?

Enquiring minds want to know...

I feel like you've asked this and I've answered this before lol

Target is red because they want you to feel like you're getting a good deal, even if they don't have quite the best prices. Red is the color psychologists believe does that.

Walmart is known for it chaos as a result of generally having the lowest prices, so their goal is to calm and sooth people. Blue is the color psychologists believe does that.

Nothing political about it. Just the "psychology of colors"

• Like 1

If you're like most people who live and work in downtown Orlando, you've spent some time talking with Milton McKnight about what's going on with him, the weather, the Magic, politics, faith, the economy, or one of a hundred other topics that he's happy to chat about with you.  It looks like the jewelry shop in the Kress building is closing, and they've started an online fundraiser to help take care of him, since foot traffic is too low for his regulars to pay a visit. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/milton039s-support-fund 

milton.PNG.7cc020ffb71f6d047f95d452514ddf9d.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.thedailycity.com/news

Check the story of the completion of the Maguire gap  by Herndon to see photos of the splendid trees we’ll be losing. No doubt the city will replace them with ones as lovely as the one in front of the Livingston Quizno’s.

From the Daily City (had a.bit of trouble linking with the actual story)

Edited by spenser1058

I’m awaiting confirmation and more details but apparently if OLT and the City proceed with the Eola expansion, they can use a City right of way to access the park from the new parcel. Apparently a design challenge but doable.

I’ve also talked with several folks involved with the project who do not have direct ties with the Rosalind Club and they believe, as I do, that the #1 goal is park expansion rather than any attempt to level the block solely because of the 7-Eleven. 

They noted with the DGX now available across the street, there are actually now more and better shopping options available for the first time. They also noted the 7-Eleven at that location is a recent addition and the Summerlin store just around the lake has no plans to go anywhere.

One long-time downtowner noted that nary a peep was heard when the 7-Elevens across from the library and on South St. closed, so there seem to be more than a few alligator tears in this case.

I asked why the decision was made to focus on this smaller site instead of the empty lots on Eola Dr. The answer was that the proposal to build a tower there that likely couldn’t be undone for decades, if ever, galvanized the supporters into immediate action. Some also thought the park needed a true gateway at that corner at the edge of the existing downtown. It also seems the developer who has the property (and the adjoining Masonic Lodge) was readily amenable to proceed and apparently the Eola Dr. lots so far are not up for sale. Stay tuned...

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m awaiting confirmation and more details but apparently if OLT and the City proceed with the Eola expansion, they can use a City right of way to access the park from the new parcel. Apparently a design challenge but doable.

I’ve also talked with several folks involved with the project who do not have direct ties with the Rosalind Club and they believe, as I do, that the #1 goal is park expansion rather than any attempt to level the block solely because of the 7-Eleven. 

They noted with the DGX now available across the street, there are actually now more and better shopping options available for the first time. They also noted the 7-Eleven at that location is a recent addition and the Summerlin store just around the lake has no plans to go anywhere.

One long-time downtowner noted that nary a peep was heard when the 7-Elevens across from the library and on South St. closed, so there seem to be more than a few alligator tears in this case.

I asked why the decision was made to focus on this smaller site instead of the empty lots on Eola Dr. The answer was that the proposal to build a tower there that likely couldn’t be undone for decades, if ever, galvanized the supporters into immediate action. Some also thought the park needed a true gateway at that corner at the edge of the existing downtown. It also seems the developer who has the property (and the adjoining Masonic Lodge) was readily amenable to proceed and apparently the Eola Dr. lots so far are not up for sale. Stay tuned...

So the adjacent land owner is interested in selling out? I like his two buildings and would not support tearing them down if that is the ultimate goal. 

I am curious how they can create a path between the property and the park w/o using the sidewalks. 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

https://www.thedailycity.com/news

Check the story of the completion of the Maguire gap  by Herndon to see photos of the splendid trees will be losing. No doubt the city will replace them with ones as lovely as the one in front of the Livingston Quizno’s.

From the Daily City (had a.bit of trouble linking with the actual story)

"The area will be replanted with under-story trees in compliance with allowable landscape heights surrounding the airport.“ The understory trees will be palm trees and crepe myrtle." 

Well, at least we made the bicyclists happy.  <_<

Just one more reason to hate them.

12 minutes ago, jack said:

So the adjacent land owner is interested in selling out? I like his two buildings and would not support tearing them down if that is the ultimate goal. 

I am curious how they can create a path between the property and the park w/o using the sidewalks. 

There’s an obvious tension about expanding the park vs. saving the Masonic Lodge, just as there was with the Eola Five. The house apparently won’t be affected (for the moment, anyway, neither will the Lodge, otherwise there would be an easy connection to the park if it were torn down). Frankly, the very nature of the Lodge has always been little pedestrian access (it was after all a private club) and Cameron Kuhn’s redo did little to change it. So from street level, there would be little impact if it must go, although I’m always reticent to lose older buildings.

Nevertheless, the goal is park expansion in this case and more pedestrians would seemingly benefit. The more downtown’s population increases, the more green space we need.

Edited by spenser1058

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

"The area will be replanted with under-story trees in compliance with allowable landscape heights surrounding the airport.“ The understory trees will be palm trees and crepe myrtle." 

Well, at least we made the bicyclists happy.  <_<

Just one more reason to hate them.

Save the palm trees for South Florida where at least they get ocean breezes. Inland, they provide zero shade, are not indigenous and are mostly a mess.

They tried using palm trees downtown on an Orange Avenue streetscape during the Langford era and they were a total failure.

By the time of Mayor Bill’s 1983 major streetscape upgrade, they had learned their lesson. No need to repeat the earlier failure.

• Like 2