Just Wow

spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Let’s go back and see what it was like to turn Orlando into an ersatz St. Louis back when we fancied ourselves “Hollywood East”. Who better to bring Orlando in for our closeup but Opie himself, filmmaker Ron Howard:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1989-08-04-8908032186-story.html

From The Sentinel 

https://youtu.be/RgrbuRNc-AQ

Ron Howard seemed to like Central Florida, as he also made Apollo 13 (and, in a demographic tour de force that reminds me of the Orlando Mayor and City Council, ) Cocoon  over in St. Pete.

I was subbing at WPHS Ninth Grade Center one day around 1989.

During lunch, word spread that Ron Howard, who was in town filming Parenthood, was supposed to arrive to shoot a scene in the field in back of the campus. Everyone crowded around the area near the bus drop off point and waited. The bell signaling the end of lunch was about two minutes away and everyone was thinking he wasn't going to show in time.

Then, as if on cue, an old beat up looking early 80's Datsun B210 pulls up and out from the passenger side steps Ron Howard. 

As he's walking past, all the kids are waving and shouting "Hey Opie!!!!".

He grinned and waved back as he walked past then disappeared around a corner.

Then, just as if it were written in a movie or TV script, the bell rang and everyone headed to their next class.

If there was ever a time I wish I'd had a camera. Or better yet, a video camera.... 

• Like 1

Just for @AndyPok1:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/08/03/gm-invest-ev-maker-lordstown-motors/5571007002/

From the Detroit Free Press

Jim Farley (Chris Farley’s cousin) disappointed the family by going to work at Toyota (his grandfather worked at Ford’s Rouge plant) but eventually made his way back to Ford and this week was named the Blue Oval’s next CEO. Is there a spot for Andy at Lordstown Motors?

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I guess living at home and sponging off their parents, they  don't need cars and drivers licenses.

When your mom does all the grocery shopping and takes you to the mall to buy your clothes, why bother driving?  

Great way to dismiss an entire age cohort! So much for considering the cost of cars these days (notice how affordable cars are no longer being made by many of the major automakers ), rent that is too d**n high, the skyrocketing cost of tuition (it’s shocking to compare the price of credit hours at even Valencia compared to what I paid). Also, unlike our generation, those coming up now have been taught to value the environment. But that’s OK, we’ll be gone by the time climate change goes crazy so it’s “What, me worry?” for us.

https://carbuzz.com/news/fords-next-ceo-already-has-big-plans

From Car Buzz

”Mainstream automakers are being forced to adjust to an emerging landscape where private auto ownership is expected to change as environmental, economical and transportation alternatives such as ride-sharing come to the fore.”

But not to worry. In @JFW657’s Orlando, it will always be the 1950’s and the tailfins will get bigger every year.

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Great way to dismiss an entire age cohort! So much for considering the cost of cars these days (notice how affordable cars are no longer being made), rent that is too d**n high, the skyrocketing cost of tuition (it’s shocking to compare the price of credit hours at even Valencia compared to what I paid). Also, unlike our generation, those coming up now have been taught to value the environment. But that’s OK, we’ll be gone by the time climate change goes crazy so it’s “What, me worry?” for us.

Well, I guess you really told me off good, by golly... :unsure:

Yes, you've shamed me to the point that all I want to do now is crawl back under my old 1960's era rock, ponder your moral superiority and beseech God to someday make me your moral equal. :cry:

NAAAAAHHHH. Not really. :lol: :rofl: 

But let me try to unpack that steamer trunk full of assumptions, presumptions and insinuations.

First of all, let me preface the following by pointing out that my off handed, facetious remark was not an indictment or a dismissal of an entire age. It was meant in jest, even though it happens to be based in reality. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=millennials+living+at+home&rlz=1C1RFPM_enUS862US862&oq=millenials+living+at+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.6958j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

One rather glaring question that jumps out at me is... if they are living at home not paying rent, why can't they afford to buy a USED car?

I've only owned one brand new vehicle in my entire life. The rest have always been used and I always did the basic maintenance like tune ups and oil changes myself as well as minor repairs such as changing out starters, alternators, radiators, water pumps, etc. 

Where there's a will, there's a way as the saying goes.

If one is going to get and keep a JOB and  SAVE up enough MONEY to become SELF SUFFICIENT, like them or not, owning a car is a basic necessity.  Opting to NOT own one suggests to me, that some young people are not very interested in improving their situation (moving out of mom & dad's house). 

As for college tuition.... a university or even a community college degree is no longer essential for getting a respectable job and making a decent living. There are technical and trade schools around with very affordable tuition that do a great job of training students for jobs in any of several different fields. Many/most are in technical areas. The Orange County Public School System runs a network of them, including the downtown campus right next to the Bob Carr and they are all excellent.

My feeling is, that if you can't afford the tuition at a university, maybe you shouldn't be going to one and running up tens of thousands of dollars in debt. Especially if you're majoring in something that doesn't guarantee a high paying job upon graduation.

Regarding your sermon about environmental consciousness, you're just wasting your time by preaching to the choir with me, As I've said before,  I'll match my energy and water usage against yours any day.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you're "walking the walk" so to speak, by using an alternative form of transportation....

:D

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Today we’re going on a walking tour of downtown (yes, @JFW657, there are people that actually walk - shocking, isn’t it? *runs*)

From CityPedia

If I had a buck for every step I took within the boundaries of what constitutes downtown Orlando, I would have retired long before I did.

Considering that I lived there possibly both before you did (1984)... and longer (15 years) than you have, I can tell you that there are very few linear feet of downtown sidewalk concrete that the soles of my shoes have not trod upon countless times.

I would dare to wager that I've probably walked more of downtown than a certain resident of the shores of Lake Eola.

I've even been known to walk around Hourglass where I now reside, though not with as much enthusiasm. 

Edited by JFW657

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

If I had a buck for every step I took within the boundaries of what constitutes downtown Orlando, I would have retired long before I did.

Considering that I lived there possibly both before you did (1984)... and longer (15 years) than you have, I can tell you that there are very few linear feet of downtown sidewalk concrete that the soles of my shoes have not trod upon countless times.

I would dare to wager that I've probably walked more of downtown than a certain resident of the shores of Lake Eola.

I've even been known to walk around Hourglass where I now reside, though not with as much enthusiasm. 

As of August 5, I have lived here 18 years this round. I also lived downtown (or within 1 mile)in 1986-87, 1988-89,1989-91, and 1992-96.

I also spent time downtown starting when I was three (shopping at Ivey’s and eating at the downtown Morrison’s with mom and then going to the library), took the bus downtown regularly in high school and interned/worked downtown in college. I might add that, during much of that time, I also ran up to five miles around Eola after workouts at the downtown Y (which I first joined in Indian Guides during, iirc, 3rd grade - oh, and did I mention swimming lessons there?)

Oh, and there was cruising after midnight with friends after high school who were trying to convince me to come out (that was during Anita Bryant and I didn’t ever think I could do it- then I crushed hard on my first ex and sat by myself on a park bench one Saturday night at Eola and decided this was my town and they’d just have to accept me if I loved a boy - and they did).

Speaking of which, my first date with Mike was at the Meiners’ French Market, a recently refurbished arcade on Orange Ave. I think it was the first restoration (this was 1978) downtown other than CSS. (There was also the San Juan, but we were deathly afraid to go in because it had *eek!* a gay bar. Still a new concept to two Southern boys - only one of whom was coming out.

But thank you for playing. The point, meanwhile, is, that apparently, you abandoned downtown while I became more and more committed. Some of us are addressing what could be a glorious future here instead of just the past. 

Edited by spenser1058

8 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As of August 5, I have lived here 18 years this round. I also lived downtown (or within 1 mile)in 1986-87, 1989-91, and 1992-96.

I also spent time downtown starting when I was three (shopping at Ivey’s and eating at the downtown Morrison’s with mom and then going to the library), took the bus downtown regularly in high school and interned/worked downtown in college. I might add that, during much of that time, I also ran up to five miles around Eola after workouts at the downtown Y (which I first joined in Indian Guides during, iirc, 3rd grade - oh, and did I mention swimming lessons there?)

But thank you for playing. The point, meanwhile, is, that apparently, you abandoned downtown while I became more and more committed. Some of us are addressing what could be a glorious future here instead of the past.

Well, whoever lived downtown three years longer than the other, aside from it being a negligible difference, misses my point. My point being, that despite the fact that you keep insinuating that I'm this automobile obsessed, gas hogging, air polluting, suburbanite who'd climb into his car just to drive across the street rather than walk, you couldn't be more off base.

I walk rather than drive quite a bit, just not downtown anymore because I rarely have a reason to go there very often anymore.

You say I "abandoned" downtown while you became "more committed". 

How so? By renting an apartment?

Personally, I don't see how that constitutes addressing or improving the future of anything.

And talking about stuff on a message board is not addressing anything either.

Besides, if you ever decide to buy your own place like I and some others of us UP'ers have, you'd likely have to move farther out like we did too.

Edited by JFW657

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh, and there was cruising after midnight with friends after high school who were trying to convince me to come out (that was during Anita Bryant and I didn’t ever think I could do it- then I crushed hard on my first ex and sat by myself on a park bench one Saturday night at Eola and decided this was my town and they’d just have to accept me if I loved a boy - and they did).

Speaking of which, my first date with Mike was at the Meiners’ French Market, a recently refurbished arcade on Orange Ave. I think it was the first restoration (this was 1978) downtown other than CSS. (There was also the San Juan, but we were deathly afraid to go in because it had *eek!* a gay bar. Still a new concept to two Southern boys - only one of whom was coming out.

No offense intended spenser, but...  TMI.  :rolleyes: 

;)

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Well, whoever lived downtown three years longer than the other, aside from it being a negligible difference, misses my point. My point being, that despite the fact that you keep insinuating that I'm this automobile obsessed, gas hogging, air polluting, suburbanite who'd climb into his car just to drive across the street rather than walk, you couldn't be more off base.

I walk rather than drive quite a bit, just not downtown anymore because I rarely have a reason to go there very often anymore.

You say I "abandoned" downtown while you became "more committed". 

How so? By renting an apartment?

Personally, I don't see how that constitutes addressing or improving the future of anything.

And talking about stuff on a message board is not addressing anything either.

Besides, if you ever decide to buy your own place like I and some others of us UP'ers have, you'd likely have to move farther out like we did too.

Indeed I would have, and I refused to do so. There you go with your 1950’s ideas that buying is always better than renting. In the US it traditionally has been because of the ridiculous subsidy given to deducting interest. That, btw, disproportionately accrues to the wealthy and, further, has led to people wasting resources with much bigger houses than they need even as families grow smaller. It’s also contributed to sprawl because, as you note, you have to go to BFE to afford such monstrosities. Other developed countries refuse to play that game.

But I digress. Because I chose to live my convictions, I worked with a financial planner to determine how to rent downtown while at the same time planning for retirement. Having no stupid condo or HOA fees helped a lot, along with no maintenance over the long-term. Another important thing was to find a non-corporate landlord who wouldn’t jack up the rent egregiously in exchange for a stable renter. It was also important to be able to make internal improvements as well.

I like your conceit, again born of the 1950’s (and unique to the US among the developed countries) that only homeowners matter (how very Republican of you). In fact, my participation in the political and community life of the neighborhood is at least as vital as a mortgage payment to a bank. Please curb your outdated notions which, thankfully, are being shown to have caused many of the problems we face in American society today. Ward and June Cleaver have left the building.

23 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Indeed I would have, and I refused to do so. There you go with your 1950’s ideas that buying is always better than renting. In the US it traditionally has been because of the ridiculous subsidy given to deducting interest. That, btw, disproportionately accrues to the wealthy and, further, has led to people wasting resources with much bigger houses than they need even as families grow smaller. It’s also contributed to sprawl because, as you note, you have to go to BFE to afford such monstrosities. Other developed countries refuse to play that game.

But I digress. Because I chose to live my convictions, I worked with a financial planner to determine how to rent downtown while at the same time planning for retirement. Having no stupid condo or HOA fees helped a lot, along with no maintenance over the long-term. Another important thing was to find a non-corporate landlord who wouldn’t jack up the rent egregiously in exchange for a stable renter. It was also important to be able to make internal improvements as well.

I like your conceit, again born of the 1950’s (and unique to the US among the developed countries) that only homeowners matter (how very Republican of you). In fact, my participation in the political and community life of the neighborhood is at least as vital as a mortgage payment to a bank. Please curb your outdated notions which, thankfully, are being shown to have caused many of the problems we face in American society today. Ward and June Cleaver have left the building.

^^^ Irony.... :tw_lol:  

BTW, I don't have a mortgage. Never have.

By eschewing things like pricey lunches in trendy Winter Park restaurants and renting apartments just because of the urban hipster appeal of their location, I was able to save up enough to pay cash for my home in 1999 and have never made a mortgage payment in my life.

Due in large part to all the money I've been able to save by not paying mortgage interest, I was semi-retired (worked part time) from 2000 till 2012 at which point I just quit working altogether eight years ago at the age of 55.  Been relaxing ever since. :shades:

That, meine freunde, is financial planning. And I didn't have to consult anyone.

But I do "love" (not really) the way the modern "progressive" (they're anything but) self-righteous, self-adoring, extremist far left just cannot resist finding things to point the finger of blame and try to shame anyone who doesn't live or conform according to some phony standards they mostly only talk the talk about themselves.