Just Wow

spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I like margaritas and I go to Red Lobster often, so I might have to give that a try. I know it's been said before, but I really think they should open a Red Lobster in downtown since the Darden HQ is there. BTW, did you get a chance to go up to DeBary?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I like margaritas and I go to Red Lobster often, so I might have to give that a try. I know it's been said before, but I really think they should open a Red Lobster in downtown since the Darden HQ is there. BTW, did you get a chance to go up to DeBary?

Sadly, because of all the rain, we decided to postpone. Looking forward to do it if we ever become the, ummm, Sunshine State again. Fortunately, we’re all on a high down here because of the Knights winning yesterday. Charge On!

I’m with you about a Red Lobster Downtown, though. I’ve been jonesing for some Cheddar Bay biscuits for a while. I think I’ll stick to a regular margarita, though - I’ve never been a Dew fan. Give me Dr Pepper or give me death! Or something like that...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

I continue to be gobsmacked that a graduate of the Ivy League and an attorney who scored one of the highest scores ever on the Florida Bar Exam, could be so incredibly clueless when it comes to history.

Perhaps the AT&T building is too mundane to save, but its original purpose for existence not only had a huge impact on antitrust cases going forward but also cleared the path for the digital revolution. At the very least, it deserves a historical marker. 

But this is an administration totally without interest in where we’ve come from and the texture it provides to help us find where we’re going. At this point, I guess I shouldn’t expect better.

An interesting look at the “flagship” of Creative Village. I know almost nothing about gaming so I will venture no opinion.

Nevertheless, if there’s any truth to this, does this seem to be the face of recruitment we want for the community we’re trying to build there?

I defer to our experts:

https://youtu.be/js6Lh8P6qJg

From The Company Man

Edited by spenser1058

On 9/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

I continue to be gobsmacked that a graduate of the Ivy League and an attorney who scored one of the highest scores ever on the Florida Bar Exam, could be so incredibly clueless when it comes to history.

Perhaps the AT&T building is too mundane to save, but its original purpose for existence not only had a huge impact on antitrust cases going forward but also cleared the path for the digital revolution. At the very least, it deserves a historical marker. 

But this is an administration totally without interest in where we’ve come from and the texture it provides to help us find where we’re going. At this point, I guess I shouldn’t expect better.

Explain. 

On 9/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, spenser1058 said:

We just hit the 30-year mark a couple years ago -- time for a citizen-led initiative? 
https://dos.myflorida.com/historical/preservation/historical-markers/how-to-apply/

• Like 1

The Reader’s Digest version: the purpose of that building’s construction was to house the lawyers who would fight the Reagan administration’s anti-trust suit to break up the.behemoth that was AT&T (today’s version is a mere scintilla of the company that was not only the nation’s  communications colossus but whose research at Bell Labs and Western Electric was unparalleled in the world).

As it happened, much to just about everyone’s surprise, the company chose to stand down rather than proceed with a battle that was expected to put the Standard Oil divestiture to shame. .

Amazingly, the decision not to fight was as consequential for America’s digital future as one to go forward would have been. (Sherlock Holmes had a point about the importance of the dog who did not bark.)

To treat it like just another building does a disservice to the community. A marker is certainly in order.

Edited by spenser1058

20 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Reader’s Digest version: the purpose of that building’s construction was to house the lawyers who would fight the Reagan administration’s anti-trust suit to break up the.behemoth that was AT&T (today’s version is a mere scintilla of the company that was not only the nation’s  communications colossus but whose research at Bell Labs and Western Electric was unparalleled in the world).

As it happened, much to just about everyone’s surprise, the company chose to stand down rather than proceed with a battle that was expected to put the Standard Oil divestiture to shame. .

Amazingly, the decision not to fight was as consequential for America’s digital future as one to go forward would have been. (Sherlock Holmes had a point about the importance of the dog who did not bark.)

To treat it like just another building does a disservice to the community. A marker is certainly in order.

That's interesting but is someone proposing knocking it down? Or is it the proposed renovation? 

36 minutes ago, jack said:

That's interesting but is someone proposing knocking it down? Or is it the proposed renovation? 

It’s mostly a matter of taking a moment to reflect on the building’s existence and commemorating its significance before it ceases to look anything like it did when constructed.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:50 PM, spenser1058 said:

THE Ohio State makes #6 in the AP this week without so much as taking a snap.

I wonder if this means @HankStrong should be anointed best UP poster of all time without ever making another post?!?

Ohio!

I make good posts.  The best posts.  People everywhere rave about my posts. Lots of people.  Rave. They love them. So good.  My posts are even shown in college courses about posting.  The best posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, orange87 said:

I almost subscribed to Orlando Biz Journal, but not only is it overpriced, they try to trick you into auto renewing. Once you're automatically auto-renewed, you have to send them an email begging for them to cancel it. No thanks.

I subscribe because I use it for business purposes. I don't think it is valuable for most people in the community. You can sometimes get breaking info, but that info will eventually show up in other sources if it is valuable.

So.... my box of stuff from Target just arrived. Let me just say that I’ve now tried mint Oreos for the first time and.... I’ll be sticking with Mint Milanos.

Also, Publix has been the winner on private label graphics for years now. No one has really come close. I have to say, though, that with each new wave of Good & Gather products, though, Target may finally give the P a run for its money. Bullseye finally seems to have applied the “cheap chic” idea to their often mundane grocery selection.

Speaking of "just wow," my wife's friend who grew up in Haiti was in the car with us when we drove through downtown Orlando yesterday. Her friend said "wow, it's beautiful, it looks like New York City." :tw_open_mouth: Nothing could be further from the truth, but as an Orlando enthusiast, I'll take all the compliments for our downtown that we can get. :tw_joy:

• Like 1