Just Wow

spenser1058

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

It certainly seems to have been a seller's market over the past few months... I wonder how long this is going to last?

Since the pandemic has started, obviously I've gone out a lot less and spent less money on things I don't need.  My savings towards buying a home is doing much better than if the pandemic hadn't happened.  I'd imagine the folks lucky enough to keep their jobs are in the same boat.  I actually wonder if the housing market takes a hit after a vaccine has been distributed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elefants said:

Since the pandemic has started, obviously I've gone out a lot less and spent less money on things I don't need.  My savings towards buying a home is doing much better than if the pandemic hadn't happened.  I'd imagine the folks lucky enough to keep their jobs are in the same boat.  I actually wonder if the housing market takes a hit after a vaccine has been distributed.

The article mentions a few things: Low lending rates, tight inventory (people are staying put & fewer homes are being built) and millennials wanting to put down roots for the first time. I suspect the epidemic has caused people to reassess their situation and prioritize what's important in their lives. Millennials aren't getting any younger.

So with that being said, if the vaccine is effective and gets distributed soon I don't see much changing... in fact I'd expect even more of a surge as the unemployed/partially employed can finally return to work as the stock market rebounds and the economy improves. Plus everyone like yourself who've steadily been socking away money all this time will also be ready to come online.

• Like 1

While we give thanks today, let’s not forget that the first Thanksgiving by Europeans in North America happened some 50 years before the Pilgrim version. It took place in St. Augustine and also featured a diversity the Puritans of Massachusetts could hardly countenance.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/312192-before-the-pilgrims-floridians-celebrated-the-real-first-thanksgiving

From Florida Politics 

Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by spenser1058

A very interesting look at the fall of the FSU football program. https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30331494/deep-deep-hole-6-year-unraveling-florida-state-football

I disagreed with some of the views and think they gave too much deference to Jimbo, but I think this perspective on a downfall is applicable to other sports programs, businesses, governments- in particular our City- etc.

It’s worth noting in this year’s list of 101 best things about Central Florida by Scott Maxwell in the Sentinel, the restored downtowns of Winter Garden, Sanford and Mt. Dora all got the nod from readers, as did Eola Park.

As for the rest of our homogenized Baker Barrios downtown, not a peep. Is it any wonder - it’s been rendered soulless these past eighteen years:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-101-things-to-love-orlando-2020-scott-maxwell-20201125-en2vepuu75aj3k4vkehky2dqoa-story.html

Also of note - what’s our only local attraction to have kept every employee on the payroll with nary a layoff through COVID? Locally owned and managed Gatorland. Here’s to the Godwins!

Apple+ bought the rights to “A Charlie Brown Christmas” so it’s not as easy to find as it has been in recent years but WUCF is coming to the rescue. You’ll be able to catch it this Sunday night on the channel at 7:30 pm.

Charge On!

https://bungalower.com/2020/12/08/wucf-to-air-a-charlie-brown-christmas-this-weekend/

From Bungalower 
Edited by spenser1058

I’ve always believed libertarianism is a fine idea out in the wilds of Wyoming but not so much in the middle of Manhattan.

It finally got a test in Grafton, NH - population 1,000, where the libertarians moved in and took over the town.

The results were not pretty, especially since the bears refused to cooperate:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/21534416/free-state-project-new-hampshire-libertarians-matthew-hongoltz-hetling 

From Vox

Great article about Mt. Dora’s Lakeside Inn, a historic jewel of the town.

If you read about the shape it was in when the Gundersons bought and restored it ten years ago, you have to pause.

Had Buddy been running Mt. Dora, it would have been bulldozed for one of his developer friends and turned into a Motel 6 with a Baker Barrios visor. It’s all about vision (or lack of one).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/lake/os-lk-lakeside-inn-mount-dora-10th-anniversary-20201213-bkklqcwujvaaxf2o7qpt3rzoka-story.html

From The Sentinel 
Edited by spenser1058

So, I find myself coming to really like shopping for groceries at Target for more than just their progressive politics and easier to figure out pricing model.

It turns out they have some cool store brand stuff that Publix doesn’t.

My latest Good & Gather discovery is frozen crushed garlic buds.

They are much more potent than garlic powder and so much easier to deal with than my garlic press.

I also have to say their decision to increase team members’ wages to $15/hour has been noticeable in how much friendlier and more helpful than they were, say, a couple of years ago. I confess it was one reason it was hard for me to pass up Publix. Given just how well Target is doing, apparently paying people a decent wage is not the ruin of capitalism, either. Truly a win-win.

Anyway, the saying, “Expect More. Pay Less.” has new resonance for me. Bulldog Rocks.

Edited by spenser1058

Alternatively, Publix could put the nail in the coffin for other grocers downtown if they open another location in the vicinity of the courthouse to capture UCF downtown, the upcoming Society (or whatever its called), Orange/Robinson, Radius, and future development in that corridor.  

And to also give those daytime workers an option.

1 minute ago, prahaboheme said:

Alternatively, Publix could put the nail in the coffin for other grocers downtown if they open another location in the vicinity of the courthouse to capture UCF downtown, the upcoming Society (or whatever its called), Orange/Robinson, Radius, and future development in that corridor.  

And to also give those daytime workers an option.

Given the Publix affinity for saturating the local area (a model they took from McDonald’s in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s, oddly enough), I can easily see that happening. Although it often seems to me the powers that be in Lakeland are always reticent about the urban stores.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Had Buddy been running Mt. Dora, it would have been bulldozed for one of his developer friends and turned into a Motel 6 with a Baker Barrios visor. It’s all about vision (or lack of one).

Have you completed that lengthy list of all the historic properties Mayor Dyer has demolished yet? You know the one I have mentioned to you numerous times over the past year... I just think it would be easier for all of us to see a list of the destruction. That way no one here would be able to think you were pulling a "Trump" and just gas-lighting us on the issue with any real substance. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Given the Publix affinity for saturating the local area (a model they took from McDonald’s in the late ‘70’s-early ‘80’s, oddly enough), I can easily see that happening. Although it often seems to me the powers that be in Lakeland are always reticent about the urban stores.

Possibly, although Publix "broke that seal" in Miami Beach decades ago and seem to have since embraced the urban markets, especially in Florida.  

Given the success of the Lake Eola location, when I can remember it being doubted during its inception, it would seem that Publix has plenty of data to support expansion in urban areas at this point.

6 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Possibly, although Publix "broke that seal" in Miami Beach decades ago and seem to have since embraced the urban markets, especially in Florida.  

Given the success of the Lake Eola location, when I can remember it being doubted during its inception, it would seem that Publix has plenty of data to support expansion in urban areas at this point.

You’re right. The odd thing about Publix is that they were more experimental a couple of decades ago than they are today. There are reasons for that, not least of which is the current CEO is the first not to be part of the Jenkins’ clan in some way and who worked up from the bottom. He’s less willing than some of his predecessors to rock the boat as a result. Of course, the conservative mantra is, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and in many ways Publix is an impregnable fortress, at least in Florida where 2/3 of the stores still are.

Edited by spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

So, I find myself coming to really like shopping for groceries at Target for more than just their progressive politics and easier to figure out pricing model.

It turns out they have some cool store brand stuff that Publix doesn’t.

My latest Good & Gather discovery is frozen crushed garlic buds.

They are much more potent than garlic powder and so much easier to deal with than my garlic press.

I also have to say their decision to increase team members’ wages to $15/hour has been noticeable in how much friendlier and more helpful than they were, say, a couple of years ago. I confess it was one reason it was hard for me to pass up Publix. Given just how well Target is doing, apparently paying people a decent wage is not the ruin of capitalism, either. Truly a win-win.

Anyway, the saying, “Expect More. Pay Less.” has new resonance for me. Bulldog Rocks.

Buddy Dyer will do something to ruin it for you. 

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

You’re right. The odd thing about Publix is that they were more experimental a couple of decades ago than they are today. There are reasons for that, not least of which is the current CEO is the first not to be part of the Jenkins’ clan in some way and who worked up from the bottom. He’s less willing than some of his predecessors to rock the boat as a result. Of course, the conservative mantra is, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” and in many ways Publix is an impregnable fortress, at least in Florida where 2/3 of the stores still are.

If that’s the case, bring on the competition. 
I absolutely support a “local” company such as Publix to thrive although there are at least a half dozen grocers that can easily fill that gap without blinking an eye.

46 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

I would love  a Target dt or near the CV/North Quarter. Or an Aldi, though the low price MO of Aldi probably prevents it from coming downtown with higher cost of the property. 

I don't think any downtown location meets their set of criteria they've established for desirable locations.

Awhile back, I Went to the Aldi's web page where they cover all that, then contacted the commercial real estate agent who handles the Market At Southside, and got her to contact Aldi abut possibly opening a store in the vacant former Beall's Outlet location.

Checked back with her a couple of months later and she said she contacted them but they weren't interested.

They require their locations to be near a major intersection with a certain amount of other retail within a certain distance as well as a minimum number of residences within a certain distance and a minimum amount of sq ft and building frontage.

I would've thought that place fit the bill nicely, but it didn't.

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I don't think any downtown location meets their set of criteria they've established for desirable locations.

Awhile back, I Went to the Aldi's web page where they cover all that, then contacted the commercial real estate agent who handles the Market At Southside, and got her to contact Aldi abut possibly opening a store in the vacant former Beall's Outlet location.

Checked back with her a couple of months later and she said she contacted them but they weren't interested.

They require their locations to be near a major intersection with a certain amount of other retail within a certain distance as well as a minimum number of residences within a certain distance and a minimum amount of sq ft and building frontage.

I would've thought that place fit the bill nicely, but it didn't.

You’re mistaken. 
again.