Just Wow

spenser1058

I keep asking the people who keep making the claim that "Orlando is not preserving its history" exactly which significant old downtown buildings, outside of the Orange Court and the old Chamber of Commerce building which was demolished for the library expansion in the 80's, have been demolished.

Cannot get an answer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I keep asking the people who keep making the claim that "Orlando is not preserving its history" exactly which significant old downtown buildings, outside of the Orange Court and the old Chamber of Commerce building which was demolished for the library expansion in the 80's, have been demolished.

Cannot get an answer. 

I’ve answered several times - I cannot make you see what you wish to ignore.

Let’s start with just two since I’ve gone over this ad nauseum before. 1 North Orange Avenue and, despite its 100th Anniversary coming up, there is still no plan for the Municipal Auditorium.

We could go on to the upper floors of 1 S. Orange and the Metcalf Building (which is about to lose its anchor). We need to think if the Angebilt is achieving anything near its highest and best use. We need to be thinking how overuse of the smaller buildings along the Orange Ave and Church St. cores as “party ‘til you puke” bars are affecting their preservation.

Before you say that’s not a city’s job, let me note that I once served on a city board that studied for months the state of Orlando’s housing stock. If residential matters, there’s no reason commercial and non-profit don’t, especially when they’re a part of the city’s history.

Finally, we need to consider if an overall plan were developed, would it be possible to attract downtown’s missing link - retail.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Let’s start with just two since I’ve gone over this ad nauseum before. 1 North Orange Avenue and, despite its 100th Anniversary coming up, there is still no plan for the Municipal Auditorium.

We could go on to the upper floors of 1 S. Orange and the Metcalf Building (which is about to lose its anchor). We need to think if the Angebilt is achieving anything near its highest and best use. We need to be thinking how overuse of the smaller buildings along the Orange Ave and Church St. cores as “party ‘til you puke” bars are affecting their preservation.

Before you say that’s not a city’s job, let me note that I once served on a city board that studied for months the state of Orlando’s housing stock. If residential matters, there’s no reason commercial and non-profit don’t, especially when they’re a part of the city’s history.

Finally, we need to consider if an overall plan were developed, would it be possible to attract downtown’s missing link - retail.

So IOW, you still cannot answer the question.

Your claim is that Orlando is not preserving its history, by not using a building for some purpose you think it should be used for... is not the same as not preserving the building. 

Saying that we aren't preserving our history is the equivalent of saying we're tearing all these old buildings down for new construction.

If the buildings are still standing and there are no plans to ever tear them down, then they are being preserved no matter what other use you might feel they should be put to.

Your answer, or rather your non-answer, is just a dodge because the real answer is that Orlando has and is preserving much of its past.

All that business about the upper floors of buildings etc., is just folderol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

No, seriously. I've called you out on this for the past two years and you have continuously ignored me. Do not try to pretend you have answered this question. Please point out past post where you have railed on issues of 1 N. Orange.

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Don’t have a disagreement with anything you present here other than that Orlando can preserve its history and it’s not happening now.

I strongly agree we CAN preserve our history, but I'm not following you on the fact we are not. I really do respect you input, particularly as someone who is a traveler and not particularly tied into the city. But how do you perceive we are not preserving out history? Hopefully others will chime in here to fill this in, but in the past 20 years what valuable buildings did we lose? And, if they were lost, what did we get? Let's overlook Jaymont since no one agrees on it. What else? I see @spenser1058 prattling  on about buildings that are still there, but apparently aren't living up to his standards of acceptable uses, but how else do you see Orlando not living up to its past while trying to build the City that future residents will want to live in.

In eighteen years, though, I’ve been waiting for him to address in a speech his detailed plan for preserving, improving and marketing the historic downtown core as the asset it has been regarded as since 1980. I’m still waiting

And I think you will be waiting for a while longer since this does not seem to be a pressing issue for the Mayor as he seems more focused on developing the future. Yes, this is a very important issue to you. However, it does not seem to be of major import to the voters of Orlando. Maybe future residents will be sorry... maybe not.

And again I say this has been done for commercial properties. There is a list of historic commercial buildings on the City website. None of them have gone missing in the past 2 decades.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I am not sure what the issue is with 1 North Orange and the Metcalf building and what the city could do about it.  

• 4 weeks later...

The Top 250 fastest Growing Business list from Inc 5000 says the Orlando metro is home to 25 of the State's total 250.

The list indicates the number 1 in the State is Glad Empire which is a digital media company. The list also indicates they are located in Orlando. However, OBJ says our highest ranked company is Equity Solar out of St. Cloud at #11. ..???

The website for Glad Empire says they are based in Orlando/ Puerto Rico, so I'd say OBJ must be wrong or the company may have since relocated.

Regardless, congrats to the Central Florida 25.

https://www.inc.com/inc5000/regionals/florida

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/03/16/inc-fastest-growing-firms-florida-metro-orlando.html

Since corrected.

Edited by AmIReal

Scott J has come out of the pantry about being a Grape-Nuts fan. That puts him in rarefied air with Euell Gibbons and John Denver. What could be better?

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5577-newsy-nuggets-lombardi-s-loses-chefs-ramsay-to-i-drive-and-other-stuff

He also notes the two chefs hired not so long ago to take Lombardi’s up a notch have moved on to greener pastures. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Is there a specific reason behind the increase across the board?

Not that I know of, other than that so far the stock market is pretty happy with Joe (something the folks at FOX won’t tell you - the stock market does better under Democratic presidents even though stock brokers hate that fact; Louis Rukeyser, longtime host of Wall Street Week once did a show about that and his face looked like he was sucking on a kumquat as he admitted that almost the whole half hour).

I had always followed Buffett’s advice and just invested in index funds (back when I made the decision to rent years ago instead of buying my investor guru insisted I buy stocks so I had something for retirement) but recently decided to play a little with my own picks for fun. So far, I’m beating the market just a tad.

19 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Not that I know of, other than that so far the stock market is pretty happy with Joe (something the folks at FOX won’t tell you - the stock market does better under Democratic presidents even though stock brokers hate that fact; Louis Rukeyser, longtime host of Wall Street Week once did a show about that and his face looked like he was sucking on a kumquat as he admitted that almost the whole half hour).

I had always followed Buffett’s advice and just invested in index funds (back when I made the decision to rent years ago instead of buying my investor guru insisted I buy stocks so I had something for retirement) but recently decided to play a little with my own picks for fun. So far, I’m beating the market just a tad.

I don't know about that. We have been in a 12 year bull market since 2009. Before that, it was the run of the mid 2000's and the late 90's. In other words, GOP and democratic presidents. 

You might be thinking of debt. The GOP cuts taxes without touching spending and the democrats raise taxes and increase spending. 

31 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't know about that. We have been in a 12 year bull market since 2009. Before that, it was the run of the mid 2000's and the late 90's. In other words, GOP and democratic presidents. 

You might be thinking of debt. The GOP cuts taxes without touching spending and the democrats raise taxes and increase spending. 

It’s based on stock market value since WWII, I believe. The economy tends to tank under Republican administrations (I.e, W and Trump - the outlier, of course, was Carter).

58 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s based on stock market value since WWII, I believe. The economy tends to tank under Republican administrations (I.e, W and Trump - the outlier, of course, was Carter).

Far be it from me to defend W or Trump, but it is hard to not view some of the circumstances out of their control that lead to downturns in their economies.

Other than that, you're observation is generally correct.

GDP- https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2020/09/08/republicans-or-democrats-who-is-better-for-the-economy/

Market- https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2020/07/23/historical-stock-market-returns-under-every-us-president/?sh=324a6290faaf

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Generally speaking, the stock market going up or down has very little to do with who is the sitting president. 

Maybe on a short term basis, but I think @spenser1058s point was as an overall trend since the early 1900s how it has performed under the 2 parties. Presidents certainly impact the market with their policy direction.

• Like 3

All I know is that my little retirement plan (which consisted of mutual funds) rebounded under Obama and went on to recover all losses post-GWB. Decided to do an early withdrawal and close the plan to buy Real  Estate back then. Since I was in my 20s and not retirement age I was subject to a significant tax hit, however, RE values have since doubled so in the end the early withdrawal penalty was definitely worth it for my specific circumstances since I was doing it all on my own. Otherwise I would not have been able to own property while being fortunate enough to live well below my means today. My new retirement plan is just "meh" under Trump (the type of plan I have heavily  invests in stocks). OTOH I've also heard an anecdotal story from a coworker whose relative made 100k+ under a year in the stock market under Trump but was unable to do so under Obama. Other people I know swear their lives were better under Trump, but I suspect it was more attributed to them finally getting their sh.t together lol.

I suspect as vaccine availability ramps up, it will play a part in reassuring society that things will eventually "return to normal" or normal-adjacent one day. That said, I'm not experiencing the windfall @spenser1058 is currently having so I was  just curious to know the secret sauce.  ;)

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1