Just Wow

spenser1058

19 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

All I know is that my little retirement plan (which consisted of mutual funds) rebounded under Obama and went on to recover all losses post-GWB. Decided to do an early withdrawal and close the plan to buy Real  Estate back then. Since I was in my 20s and not retirement age I was subject to a significant tax hit, however, RE values have since doubled so in the end the early withdrawal penalty was definitely worth it for my specific circumstances since I was doing it all on my own. Otherwise I would not have been able to own property while being fortunate enough to live well below my means today. My new retirement plan is just "meh" under Trump (the type of plan I have heavily  invests in stocks). OTOH I've also heard an anecdotal story from a coworker whose relative made 100k+ under a year in the stock market under Trump but was unable to do so under Obama. Other people I know swear their lives were better under Trump, but I suspect it was more attributed to them finally getting their sh.t together lol.

I suspect as vaccine availability ramps up, it will play a part in reassuring society that things will eventually "return to normal" or normal-adjacent one day. That said, I'm not experiencing the windfall @spenser1058 is currently having so I was  just curious to know the secret sauce.  ;)

Interestingly, my stock that is outperforming all the others at the moment is Target ;-). It was up 4.28% just today.

Edited by spenser1058

In celebration of Women’s History Month, WKMG interviewed a long time Orlando Resident: Ann Polasek is now 99 years old and still active in community events, real estate and as a day trader on the stock market. But she first moved to Orlando in 1960 for her husband John’s job at Martin Marietta. https://www.clickorlando.com/features/2021/03/29/it-was-just-nothing-99-year-old-recounts-orlandos-transformation-from-sleepy-town-to-tourist-destination/

The lady even took a moment to make a stock trade mid-interview lol

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Orlando Mayor, Hizzoner Buddy Dyer, was a guest on Central Florida Spotlight yesterday and was asked about his expectations for downtown office building occupancy post COVID.

Well if he's not concerned then I guess he doesn't need to up the ante to get Assured Partners to move their HQ downtown from Lake Mary. They were originally going to get $800k, but now have asked for a little over $1M to bring 200 employees and occupy 40-50k of office space. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/09/orlando-sweetens-proposed-deal-assuredpartners.html

I'm in favor of the deal, but I think there will be a lot of this type going on for the next several years. Companies are going to play cities and states, even more than they have to get enticements for jobs and occupancy levels.

Update: Orlando to agreed to up the $. Now awaiting Assured to make a decision between Lake Mary, Orlando, Austin and KC.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, AmIReal said:

Well if he's not concerned then I guess he doesn't need to up the ante to get Assured Partners to move their HQ downtown from Lake Mary. They were originally going to get $800k, but now have asked for a little over $1M to bring 200 employees and occupy 40-50k of office space. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/04/09/orlando-sweetens-proposed-deal-assuredpartners.html

I'm in favor of the deal, but I think there will be a lot of this type going on for the next several years. Companies are going to play cities and states, even more than they have to get enticements for jobs and occupancy levels.

Update: Orlando to agreed to up the $. Now awaiting Assured to make a decision between Lake Mary, Orlando, Austin and KC.

It is kind of fun insurance may be back downtown. In the ‘70’s and early ‘80’s they had a good chunk of the towers: CNA, The Hartford, Travelers and of course, homegrown American Fire and Casualty. That was one of the coolest old buildings downtown and they leveled it.

As it turns out, a really big fish may be taking the plunge for Orlando mayor in 2023 and, if he takes the bait, I’ve been invited to join the staff so I may be back in O-town in about 24 months or so.

If it happens (and speaking of big fish), Red Lobster is making some cool menu updates for the zoomers and it’s time to get them to open something downtown:

https://thetakeout.com/red-lobster-releases-codzilla-fried-cod-sandwich-1846674238/amp

From The Takeout

CODZILLA!

• Like 2

Ever heard someone say, “I vote person, not the party”? We’ve known for a while that dog don’t hunt.

Here’s the latest on just how untrue that is from Chris Cillizza at CNN:

https://view.newsletters.cnn.com/messages/16184394863598c2c1fc46f7a/raw?utm_term=16184394863598c2c1fc46f7a&utm_source=cnn_The+Point+%E2%80%93+Wednesday%2C+April+14%2C+2021&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1618439486361&bt_ee=vzPJRg3GR4G6wHabPnLD8%2BwK03V2c005i6PiMnHiEYG8tyOzwwHwcKACPOrsvPxj&bt_ts=1618439486361

We also know that an overwhelming majority of those registered as “independents “ (or NPA in Florida) in fact regularly vote for one party or the other, so that doesn’t tell you much, either.

It’s amazing all the “sweet little lies” we tell ourselves.

I disagree. I 100% would vote for Andrew Yang if he was an option. I also would have voted a ham sammich against Trump last presidential election. I do lean a bit more left/Dem than some independents, but do not vote on party lines, vote on platforms. Interestingly, Tulsi Gabbard was my second choice when I actually read the platforms, which I would not have thought. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

LOL, I don't know about that. I did reluctantly vote for DeSantis. Hahaha. 

Eeeeek! I wanted Gwen but I remembered that to ever rescue the state we need a Democratic governor to make somewhat sane appointments. The yahoos Scott and DeSatan have sent to CFX, GOAA and SJRWMD have been atrocious. And then there’s Piney Point down in your old stomping grounds...