Just Wow

spenser1058

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

@JFW657’s head’s gonna explode. It in Texas, they’re paying TEENAGERS 50k to manage their chicken fast foodery:

https://www.businessinsider.com/fast-food-retail-labor-shortage-teenagers-managers-wage-laynes-texas-2021-6?amp

From Business Insider

If they're managers and successfully carrying the responsibility and work load of managers, including the 50+ hours per week that entails, I have no problem whatsoever with them getting paid that much.

I just can't see paying 16 year old kids who work part time after school operating a cash register or working on the burger assembly line $15 bucks an hour just to spend on dates and going to the movies.

It's not nice intentionally misrepresenting people's positions on issues.  <_< 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

If they're managers and successfully carrying the responsibility and work load of managers, including the 50+ hours per week that entails, I have no problem whatsoever with them getting paid that much.

I just can't see paying 16 year old kids who work part time after school operating a cash register or working on the burger assembly line $15 bucks an hour just to spend on dates and going to the movies.

It's not nice intentionally misrepresenting people's positions on issues.  <_< 

I agree. That’s why your insistence that’s the bulk of who’s working is a problem. When the boomers were exploding with teenagers in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s that may have been true. It hasn’t been for a while. 

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I agree. That’s why your insistence that’s the bulk of who’s working is a problem. When the boomers were exploding with teenagers in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s that may have been true. It hasn’t been for a while

Got any labor statistics on that? 

AFAIK, most of the part timers at fast food places are young kids and a few elderly folks supplementing their SS. 

And even if they don't comprise the bulk of ff employees, I still maintain that there should be an age limit on $15 an hour part time salaries.

At least 18. Preferably 21. 

Once again, you're not accurately representing my position on the issue.

I never said that I feel no ff employees should get $15 an hour.

I said that I don't feel high school aged TEENAGERS should get that.

Therefore, their percentage of the ff labor force is irrelevant.

Whether they constitute 50% or 25% or 10%, I don't feel 16 & 17 year old high school students should make $15 an hour to operate a cash register and slop condiments on hamburgers. 

Just the way I feel. :dontknow: 

11 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Got any labor statistics on that? 

AFAIK, most of the part timers at fast food places are young kids and a few elderly folks supplementing their SS. 

And even if they don't comprise the bulk of ff employees, I still maintain that there should be an age limit on $15 an hour part time salaries.

At least 18. Preferably 21. 

Once again, you're not accurately representing my position on the issue.

I never said that I feel no ff employees should get $15 an hour.

I said that I don't feel high school aged TEENAGERS should get that.

Therefore, their percentage of the ff labor force is irrelevant.

Whether they constitute 50% or 25% or 10%, I don't feel 16 & 17 year old high school students should make $15 an hour to operate a cash register and slop condiments on hamburgers. 

Just the way I feel. :dontknow: 

When you grew up, the two-parent family was the norm in the US. Today, that’s not the case (the GOP’s been feeding on that for years but nowadays it’s as likely to be true in rural white towns as in urban cities with PoC - Moynihan was right, he just didn’t realize it would be spreading across the country due to the inequality created since Milton Friedman and his buddies came along.  A huge number of families need the support not only of adults but also what the kids can bring in.  We’re turning a corner, finally (even the CEO of McD’s last week said the current federal minimum wage is ridiculous), but it’s going to take many years to get where we should be.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

When you grew up, the two-parent family was the norm in the US. Today, that’s not the case (the GOP’s been feeding on that for years but nowadays it’s as likely to be true in rural white towns as in urban cities with PoC - Moynihan was right, he just didn’t realize it would be spreading across the country due to the inequality created since Milton Friedman and his buddies came along.  A huge number of families need the support not only of adults but also what the kids can bring in.  We’re turning a corner, finally (even the CEO of McD’s last week said the current federal minimum wage is ridiculous), but it’s going to take many years to get where we should be.

The Chicago school of Econ is not the reason single parent households have sharply risen over the years. Our culture has changed. The stigma and shame from the old days is virtually gone. No one has been spared except the upper echelons of society. 

Hey we found a group of folks even older than the Lake Buddy Mary city council. It seems the top tier NASCAR ownership teams are ancient (Roger Penske, just to name one, is 84).

There’s progress, though - Jeff Gordon has been named the #2 guy at Hendrick Motor Sports this week and he’s only 49.  Hope springs eternal:

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/31694159/jeff-gordon-serve-second-highest-official-hendrick-motorsports-leave-broadcast-booth?platform=amp

From ESPN 

Edited by spenser1058

On 6/25/2021 at 3:53 PM, spenser1058 said:

Do you suppose it was just a coincidence Kissimmee decided to refurbish its downtown AFTER Buddy left town?

The current Kissimmee city leaders do seem to “get it” so much more so than all through the 90s. 
As an anecdote, the long delayed Kissimmee lakefront mixed use development is above ground!

• Like 1

In 1974, as a budding editorial writer on the Trojan Tribune (Evans High’s student newspaper), my editor and I tracked down a developer who had been among those that created the sprawl along West Colonial Drive in Pine Hills.

He told us that they had moved beyond that, learned their lessons and paid more attention to generating better outcomes by that time.

Fast forward to the late 1980’s. Until then, development along West Colonial stopped at Hiawassee Rd. Beyond that and until you got to Ocoee were hills, trees, lakes, orange groves and some amazing vistas by the standards of flat-as-a-pancake East Central Florida.

With DeBartolo and Homart (Sears) making noise about a planned mall, within five years that stretch of Highway 50 was cluttered with the same kind of sprawl we had been told wouldn’t reoccur. 

It was a valuable lesson for me. It’s sad that money and power are more important to so many than developing quality of life for the community.

Edited by spenser1058

Nashville renames a street for Bianca Paige - it’s believed to be the first such honor for a drag queen in the country:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/06/27/us/nashville-bianca-paige-way-trnd/index.html

From CNN

Happy Pride Month!

The photo of the new street sign reminded me that Nashville is still sticking with their very 1960’s version. I was surprised they hadn’t changed to something a little more current.

Of course, thanks to Metro, theirs aren’t as important to figure out which jurisdiction you’re in, unlike ours, which desire to give you a quick pictoral description (fountain, orange, peacock, etc).

Edited by spenser1058

Another urban myth bites the dust. Unsurprisingly, it got started by someone trying to peddle office space (admittedly, the Johnson Wax building is very cool, but that doesn’t change the facts).

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/do-chance-meetings-at-the-office-boost-innovation-theres-no-evidence-of-it/

From The Seattle Times

Edited by spenser1058

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

(admittedly, the Johnson Wax building is very cool, but that doesn’t change the facts).

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/do-chance-meetings-at-the-office-boost-innovation-theres-no-evidence-of-it/

From The Seattle Times

Still amazed this was built in the 30's.  Ex wife worked therein the 90's   The company has great benefits. Including a world class free fitness center on campus for employees and families.  Truly knew how to take care of employees and foster an environment of innovation.

Now, I work remote and feel my team has become far more innovative and productive.  A point noted in the article I have found very true in our environment for collaboration:

Remote work can enable ideas to bubble up from people with different backgrounds. Online, people who are not comfortable speaking up in an in-person meeting may feel more able to weigh in. Brainstorming sessions using apps like Slack can surface many more perspectives by including people who would not have been invited to a meeting, like interns or employees in other departments.

Frank Lloyd Wright designed Johnson Wax HQ as a forest open to the sky

• Like 1

Does your neighborhood have tree equity? It turns out prosperous, well-balanced neighborhoods have lots of trees.

Remember that trees are one of the best ways to deal with climate change, too!

https://bungalower.com/2021/06/28/new-map-analyzes-relationship-between-trees-and-socioeconomic-status/

From Bungalower 

Doing Big Things in Orlando with community involvement:

July 4 brings back 1994 World Cup memories | Commentary
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-july-4-world-cup-1994-memories-20210704-ccrv3t7ernh7ldxrd6hvpdecoe-story.html

Keep in mind, back in those days we didn’t have pro soccer yet..
From the Sentinel 

I notice Marion Ross (Richie Cunningham’s mom on “Happy Days”) is the latest sitcom star to get a statue in her hometown.

Since that seems to be a thing now, is it time to give Orlando native Delta Burke a statue? Not only was she Miss Florida in 1974, she also played the ever so feisty Suzanne Sugarbaker on “Designing Women”.

It would be the perfect addition to downtown or Eola Park. I say it should be a go even if she did marry notorious Republican Gerald McRaney (Simon & Simon) or maybe one of the parks in East Orlando (she went to Colonial High).

And of course, while we’re at it, we can also add something for Buddy Ebsen, who attended Orlando High (now Howard Middle) and whose family had a dance studio on Hyer just south of Thornton Park.

Ebsen of course was most famous as Jed Clampett on “The Beverly Hillbillies” and as Barnaby Jones. He was also Fess Parker’s sidekick on “Davy Crockett” and was almost the Tin Man in “The Wizard of Oz” but he almost died from an allergic reaction to the aluminum dust he was required to wear and was replaced by Jack Haley.

One other possibility would be something to salute “The Blair Witch Project”, which was made by UCF alums.

Meanwhile, Rollins has already done a statue for beloved alum Fred Rogers.

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/1/2021 at 10:10 PM, spenser1058 said:

Another urban myth bites the dust. Unsurprisingly, it got started by someone trying to peddle office space (admittedly, the Johnson Wax building is very cool, but that doesn’t change the facts).

From The Seattle Times

I don't think the myth bit the dust at all. I read this article last week in NYT and it has bounced around in my head- mainly because the title didn't corroborate the really poorly written article. The article was full of "maybe" it makes things more difficult, or "maybe" women feel less inclined to speak up. Sure, maybe, but at least attempt to quantify it.

My favorite line...“When everyone has the same small box on the screen, everyone has an equal seat at the table, literally,”

Of course they do, because I can't see you in that little box and continue to use my biases and preformed opinion.

So it turns out Bob Dylan likes the Eagles. I feel vindicated after all these years of rock critics poo-pooing them as nothing more than “corporate rock”. Although Glenn Frey didn’t have much use for it, Don Henley’s “The Last Resort” on the Hotel California album is still my favorite.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-eagles-bob-dylan-called-one-of-the-best-songs-ever/?amp

From Far Out

Edited by spenser1058

Ultra-liberal NYC just elected a cop as it's mayor. Even liberals are sick of the anti-police, anti-law pro-criminal policies of the Democrat party. 

In light of this, I think if Biden doesn't run for a second term and Kamala Harris gets the nomination, Val Demings would be the perfect choice for her VP.

32 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Ultra-liberal NYC just elected a cop as it's mayor. Even liberals are sick of the anti-police, anti-law pro-criminal policies of the Democrat party. 

In light of this, I think if Biden doesn't run for a second term and Kamala Harris gets the nomination, Val Demings would be the perfect choice for her VP.

You really, really need a media diet. Take a look over the scorecard here made by the very conservative NAPO to see which party actually supports the police. Honestly for me its disappointing to continue to see the Dems trying to increase police budgets but that is what happens when we have a far right party and a center/center right party as our choices.

https://www.napo.org/files/5716/1005/5505/NAPO_116th_Congress_Legislative_Scorecard.pdf