Just Wow

spenser1058

34 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Ultra-liberal NYC just elected a cop as it's mayor. Even liberals are sick of the anti-police, anti-law pro-criminal policies of the Democrat party. 

In light of this, I think if Biden doesn't run for a second term and Kamala Harris gets the nomination, Val Demings would be the perfect choice for her VP.

Way to make up a straw man given that the nominee of the Democratic Party, Joe Biden, has never been anti-police, anti-law or pro-criminal and Kamala Harris was the Attorney General of California. Stop watching OANN. I concur that Val Demings is a great choice.

Meanwhile, tell your GOP congressional friends congregating at the border to stop being accompanied by convicted felons if you’re going all in on law and order.

4 hours ago, orange87 said:

Ultra-liberal NYC just elected a cop as it's mayor. Even liberals are sick of the anti-police, anti-law pro-criminal policies of the Democrat party. 

In light of this, I think if Biden doesn't run for a second term and Kamala Harris gets the nomination, Val Demings would be the perfect choice for her VP.

NYC has elected 2 republican mayors out of the last three before Adams. 

I also think the anti police is a niche issue for most democrats. But because the psychopaths on Twitter dominate the narrative, it feels like it is the position of the majority democrats. 

If Kamala Harris gets the nomination, the GOP will be back in power in 2024. Nothing against her personally but we already saw how she campaigns. 

More destruction of buildings that make people scratch their heads and ask, “this makes sense?”

Even worse is how many were replaced by nothing more than asphalt parking lots. Wanna bet every one of the folks responsible for this nonsense had some great excuse as to why a parking lot was worth sacrificing history.

21 hours ago, jack said:

NYC has elected 2 republican mayors out of the last three before Adams. 

I also think the anti police is a niche issue for most democrats. But because the psychopaths on Twitter dominate the narrative, it feels like it is the position of the majority democrats. 

If Kamala Harris gets the nomination, the GOP will be back in power in 2024. Nothing against her personally but we already saw how she campaigns. 

It’s a shame she doesn’t campaign tastefully like Donald Trump or Marjorie Taylor Greene or Mo Brooks, isn’t it? 

Did we mention, btw, that Eric Adams has noted he was beaten by cops at age 15 and has called for significant reform of police departments? I’m sure FOX News and Newsmax didn’t or you would have mentioned it.

Finding the middle of the road is something the Democratic Party does infinitely better than the party that gave us Trump. Speaking of mayors, let’s compare Giuliani to mayors in LA or Chicago. Love those calm, considerate Republicans! Did we mention his law license has been suspended in New York? Shall we play the video of him at the Four Seasons?

Seems to me y’all need to remove the mote in your own eyes, as Jesus said. Oh, let’s talk about the evangelicals while we’re at it and how they’re following calm and consideration.

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

"If Haiti just quietly sunk into the Caribbean or rose up 300 feet, it wouldn't matter a whole lot." - Joe Biden (1994)

Article: https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-saying-haiti-doesnt-matter-1994-clip-resurfaces-after-moise-assassination-1607692

Put it into the context of the interview, please, and then compare what Trump has said about Haiti and tell me which is worse. But, then, you’d rather just inflame things, right? The interview was in regard to whether President Clinton at the time should place US troops on the island. The media was inflaming the issue. 

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Put it into the context of the interview, please, and then compare what Trump has said about Haiti and tell me which is worse. But, then, you’d rather just inflame things, right? The interview was in regard to whether President Clinton at the time should place US troops on the island. The media was inflaming the issue. 

One Democrat (someone with an obvious reason to make s*** up) CLAIMED Trump said Haiti is a s-hole without any proof. Everyone else who was there said they never heard Trump say that. Trump denied saying it. I believe people should be considered innocent until PROVEN guilty. Don't you?

Meanwhile, there's a video as clear as day of Biden saying "If Haiti just quietly sunk into the Caribbean or rose up 300 feet, it wouldn't matter a whole lot." Unless he was directly quoting someone (which he wasn't), there is absolutely no reason those words should have come out of his mouth. Let me ask you this. What would you say if there was a video from 1994 of Trump saying those same words in the same context? How do you think the media would react? How would you react? On second thought, don't answer that, because I know whatever answer you give will be BS.

Edited by orange87
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s a shame she doesn’t campaign tastefully like Donald Trump or Marjorie Taylor Greene or Mo Brooks, isn’t it? 

Did we mention, btw, that Eric Adams has noted he was beaten by cops at age 15 and has called for significant reform of police departments? I’m sure FOX News and Newsmax didn’t or you would have mentioned it.

Finding the middle of the road is something the Democratic Party does infinitely better than the party that gave us Trump. Speaking of mayors, let’s compare Giuliani to mayors in LA or Chicago. Love those calm, considerate Republicans! Did we mention his law license has been suspended in New York? Shall we play the video of him at the Four Seasons?

Seems to me y’all need to remove the mote in your own eyes, as Jesus said. Oh, let’s talk about the evangelicals while we’re at it and how they’re following calm and consideration.

Its a shame she did not campaign like Joe Biden. Fact of the matter is, she got crushed in the primary. Some people have it, most don't and she does not have it. 

Everyone knows that about the Mayor Elect. It was part of his platform. He saw a lane in the primary and hit it hard talking about crime. And he won. He knows that most people in working class neighborhoods are not anti police. They want better policing. 

I have never watched newsmax and haven't watch Fox in 15 years. 

Shockingly, there are 20 states that have an abysmal $7.25/hr minimum wage. Congress should just increase the minimum wage by $1 to $8.25 and just do a cost of living increase every year. $15/hr doesn't have the votes, but my proposal could probably pass both chambers and get Biden's signature. There's bipartisan support in Congress for an increase, just not $15/hr. $8.25/hr and a yearly COL increase is a far cry from $15/hr, but it would still be enough to help thousands if not millions of Americans and at least get the ball rolling.

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

Shockingly, there are 20 states that have an abysmal $7.25/hr minimum wage. Congress should just increase the minimum wage by $1 to $8.25 and just do a cost of living increase every year. $15/hr doesn't have the votes, but my proposal could probably pass both chambers and get Biden's signature. There's bipartisan support in Congress for an increase, just not $15/hr. $8.25/hr and a yearly COL increase is a far cry from $15/hr, but it would still be enough to help thousands if not millions of Americans and at least get the ball rolling.

Why not focus on raising the state level instead of the fed? 

• Thanks 1

So, it’s gonna be hard to move back to Orlando without a Nordstrom (I was at the St Johns Town Center store and it got me thinking about it so it wasn’t a totally random thought) - I really like that about Jax. Otoh, I never liked Florida Mall so it’s fine they left there. It seems like a Nordstrom would do well in Seminole County - is the Sears space still empty at Altamonte? Maybe I’m destined to stay up here - there’s a real buzz around restoration projects and unless Orlando finally moves beyond the status quo rut it’s stuck in, I may never get back home. 

Edited by spenser1058

On 7/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, spenser1058 said:

Maybe I’m destined to stay up here - there’s a real buzz around restoration projects and unless Orlando finally moves beyond the status quo rut it’s stuck in, I may never get back home. 

The HTC-GO was just introduced in the Senate last month after being introduced in the House back in April.  My hope is that it will be included in a larger infrastructure bill later this year. The changes in Historic Tax Credit will help incentivize more preservations projects (including making Historic Tax Credit funding available for smaller projects, like the ones we would see in Orlando. )

• increase in the HTC percentage from 20% to 30% for the first $2.5 million of qualified rehabilitation expenditures for smaller projects
  • provide a drop in the substantial rehabilitation test threshold from 100% to 50% of the adjusted basis
  • eliminate the HTC basis adjustment, eliminate the Internal Revenue Code Section 50(d) income recognition requirement
  • a temporary increase in the HTC percentage from 20% to 30% for 2020-2024, with a gradual phasedown to 20%. 

There is also a new Florida HTC drafted that we hope to get introduced next session, which would provide further incentive for restoration and adaptive reuse statewide. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Doesn't appear to be needed since she was not in close proximity with them and she is vaccinated.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/563565-harris-avoids-covid-19-risk-in-meeting-with-texas-democrats-aide-says

What could possibly go wrong...

"The city that is home to the University of Florida may allow people to drink legally from open containers in public places such as sidewalks."

Yes, they have a full year of testing the program and have not had significant issues. Of course a few hundred thousand things have been missing over the past year...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/florida/os-ne-florida-city-may-legalize-public-alcohol-drinking-20210719-hvhtj3m6dfb2lnjnngcvfup2dm-story.html

Joy Wallace Dickinson at The Sentinel posts an ode to a REAL Floridian delicacy (not something those carpetbaggers at The Villages feast on). 

She also gives a shout out to Ted Peters’ in St. Pete, one of my first stops when I head to the Gulf.

It’s still a tragedy that Norwood’s in NSB demolished its Old Florida eatery years ago, giving up the smoked mullet on the menu that was smoked in the dirt parking lot every day under an oak tree (stopping in for the tasty fish and grits at breakfast was a staple of visits from Orlando before I4 when you had to head up US 17-92 to (Delightful!) DeLand and then cross over to the beach on notoriously slow two-lane FL 44).

Native grocer Publix of course sold the fish in the meat department for years (it, of course, was a pale replica of Norwood’s) along with Lakeland’s Bean Bros. Sausage, but I haven’t seen either in years.

Edited by spenser1058

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Joy Wallace Dickinson at The Sentinel posts an ode to a REAL Floridian delicacy (not something those carpetbaggers at The Villages feast on). 

She also gives a shout out to Ted Peters’ in St. Pete, one of my first stops when I head to the Gulf.

It’s still a tragedy that Norwood’s in NSB demolished its Old Florida eatery years ago, giving up the smoked mullet on the menu that was smoked in the dirt parking lot every day under an oak tree (stopping in for the tasty fish and grits at breakfast was a staple of visits from Orlando before I4 when you had to head up US 17-92 to (Delightful!) DeLand and then cross over to the beach on notoriously slow two-lane FL 44).

Native grocer Publix of course sold the fish in the meat department for years (it, of course, was a pale replica of Norwood’s) along with Lakeland’s Bean Bros. Sausage, but I haven’t seen either in years.

I preferred mackerel over mullet when I was growing up, but now I prefer a cleaner white fish. The Aardvark does a fair job for a non-coastal place.

• Like 1

Thinking about the whole urban/non-urban thing I am pondering about Florida having a bunch of not small counties that don’t really have a major city

Although usually you hit the mark as a major county at one million or so, we have several good-sized counties (in some states they’d even be the largest) that still fly under the radar.

Polk, for example, has 750,000+ folks but doesn’t really have a major city. The largest is Lakeland, but it’s not even the county seat.

Brevard is another with about 615,000 residents. The three portions of the county each have towns that stand out, but it turns out the largest is Palm Bay, which is just a subdivision on steroids (not unlike Deltona in Volusia).

Somehow or other, Orlando managed to stand out as the region’s major city, even though it is decentralized. As a believer in the “great man” theory of history, I believe we’ve had some important leaders who pushed us forward over the years, although Lakeland has had several important leaders (and was wealthier thanks to the phosphate industry). In fact, they’ve had more folks advance to statewide politics than we have.

Another fun fact is that for most of the 20th century Polk and Marion Counties were bigger tourism draws than Orange was (not to mention the beach counties -it wasn’t until 1971 when it all changed).

It’s interesting how it works out.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 2:12 PM, orange87 said:

That is an inaccurate, broad brush statement.

The extremist far left portion of the Democratic Party might have strayed into that realm, but they do NOT represent the majority of the Dems.

That would be like me implying that the entire Republican Party supports violently overthrowing the US Government after what happened on 01/06/21.

Edited by JFW657

On 7/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, popsiclebrandon said:

You really, really need a media diet. Take a look over the scorecard here made by the very conservative NAPO to see which party actually supports the police. Honestly for me its disappointing to continue to see the Dems trying to increase police budgets but that is what happens when we have a far right party and a center/center right party as our choices.

https://www.napo.org/files/5716/1005/5505/NAPO_116th_Congress_Legislative_Scorecard.pdf

Really?

That is surprising, you being a business owner and all.

I'd be interested to see who you'd call if your business ever became the scene of a crime.

I can only guess that it wouldn't be the police, given your apparent disapproval of them.  

18 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I got fully vaccinated. I've started wearing a mask indoors again. Why the F can't other people do something so F'ing simple to end this BS? Masks are free! The vaccine is free!

Unfortunately stupidity is also free and from what I’ve seen, in full supply.

Edited by Uncommon

12 minutes ago, orange87 said:

I got fully vaccinated. I've started wearing a mask indoors again. Why the F can't other people do something so F'ing simple to end this BS? Masks are free! The vaccine is free!

There kind of is a problem in that the vaccine was promised as the path to stop needing to wear masks. And now its apparent that the vaccinated are spreading the virus as fast as ever. Masks had limited effectiveness and the virus still spread like crazy in areas with high compliance rates (at least among the "anything goes as a mask" philosophy we had, not N95 masks). The good news is the vaccines, while it may not prevent you from getting COVID, reduces the likelihood of complications, sickness, and death, and with the vaccine fully available to anyone who wants it in any at risk groups,  Its time to move on, we're going to have to live with the virus, just like we do with influenzas, its utterly obvious among scientists that appears to be the simple fact. Its worth the risk for most people to be comfortable and live their life with the relatively small risk of coronavirus then needing to wear masks for the rest of our lives.

What I don't get is the scientists and experts at Moderna and Pfizer are saying that people are due for a booster and the Biden administration is saying "NO!!! Another vaccine doesn't poll well! We can't do that, even if your data says it works!" and now we're starting to see the result of that. We really need to get our current anti-science president out and bring back Trump, whose policies led to the fastest development of a vaccine ever. Like, I get if we don't want to mandate a booster, but at least allow those of us who want it to get it since thats the least uncomfortable and most effective option we have.

On 7/31/2021 at 2:18 PM, JFW657 said:

Really?

That is surprising, you being a business owner and all.

I'd be interested to see who you'd call if your business ever became the scene of a crime.

I can only guess that it wouldn't be the police, given your apparent disapproval of them.  

This is a horrible straw man you are building there.

Police are certainly necessary and no one is saying they aren't. But they have massively over-funded budgets that could be much better allocated in the communities to help people.

I've had two robberies in our shop this year that we called the cops for. The first one they didn't show for over an hour and told me good luck call us if you see the guy. Second time they did show up rather quickly but after realizing they would have to review security footage they just told me to work with my insurance company because its not worth finding them. Their solve rates are hilariously low, we pay for very little results and people would not keep any other job that you succeeded in 18% of the time.

Beyond the poor budgeting it is to keep over-funding them we're not even getting into the history of white supremacy built into policing.

20 hours ago, aent said:

There kind of is a problem in that the vaccine was promised as the path to stop needing to wear masks. And now its apparent that the vaccinated are spreading the virus as fast as ever. Masks had limited effectiveness and the virus still spread like crazy in areas with high compliance rates (at least among the "anything goes as a mask" philosophy we had, not N95 masks). The good news is the vaccines, while it may not prevent you from getting COVID, reduces the likelihood of complications, sickness, and death, and with the vaccine fully available to anyone who wants it in any at risk groups,  Its time to move on, we're going to have to live with the virus, just like we do with influenzas, its utterly obvious among scientists that appears to be the simple fact. Its worth the risk for most people to be comfortable and live their life with the relatively small risk of coronavirus then needing to wear masks for the rest of our lives.

What I don't get is the scientists and experts at Moderna and Pfizer are saying that people are due for a booster and the Biden administration is saying "NO!!! Another vaccine doesn't poll well! We can't do that, even if your data says it works!" and now we're starting to see the result of that. We really need to get our current anti-science president out and bring back Trump, whose policies led to the fastest development of a vaccine ever. Like, I get if we don't want to mandate a booster, but at least allow those of us who want it to get it since thats the least uncomfortable and most effective option we have.

This is where the messaging telling people who are vaccinated they need to take greater precaution has backfired yet again in the world of bad actors and misinformation. The data on vaccines is so overwhelming that if you don't get one at this point you really do have a death wish or brain worms.

delta.thumb.jpg.a28d1230b82c021242104b4600990d25.jpg

• Thanks 1