Just Wow

spenser1058

I’m very interested that in this era of climate change that some of our number are so cavalier about tearing down trees that are incredibly efficient at processing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and reducing ambient temperatures, particularly in urban areas where all the asphalt is doing just the opposite. Not to mention, as the poet said, there is nothing so lovely as a tree, especially a majestic oak that has likely been around for at least a century. Fascinating but it strikes me as a bit shortsighted.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m very interested that in this era of climate change that some of our number are so cavalier about tearing down trees that are incredibly efficient at processing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and reducing ambient temperatures, particularly in urban areas where all the asphalt is doing just the opposite. Not to mention, as the poet said, there is nothing so lovely as a tree, especially a majestic oak that has likely been around for at least a century. Fascinating but it strikes me as a bit shortsighted.

I think more should be invested in reforestation; especially in third world countries like Haiti that chopped down the majority of it's trees a long time ago. There has also been extensive efforts to turn barren deserts in Africa into thriving forests.

• Like 1

@orange87, please go knock some sense in UConn. They left the American and now they’re talking about joining C-USA (the next league down from AAC) just as it’s losing nine of its teams and the Sun Belt (which used to be below it) is hot with App State and Coastal Carolina. There must be something in the water up there…

Meanwhile, while we’re in CT, rumor is Disney may sell or spin off ESPN to concentrate on Disney+. If that happens, wonder if they’ll stay in your pretty, if teeny, state.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@orange87, please go knock some sense in UConn. They left the American and now they’re talking about joining C-USA (the next league down from AAC) just as it’s losing nine of its teams and the Sun Belt (which used to be below it) is hot with App State and Coastal Carolina. There must be something in the water up there…

Meanwhile, while we’re in CT, rumor is Disney may sell or spin off ESPN to concentrate on Disney+. If that happens, wonder if they’ll stay in your pretty, if teeny, state.

As an Apple fanboy, I'd love it if Apple bought ESPN. They could add all of the ESPN+ content to Apple TV+ which has been lacking content and struggling.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, orange87 said:

As an Apple fanboy, I'd love it if Apple bought ESPN. They could add all of the ESPN+ content to Apple TV+ which has been lacking content and struggling.

OMG - an Apple fanboy. @orange87, you just might be… a liberal! They, of course, have a gay CEO….

I seem to be right with you - I’ve been running back behind Steve’s “walled garden” even as the EU is trying to tear it apart.

My first computer was a Mac (I was the envy of my fellow students in 1985). I later had a bright red iMac. I currently have an iPhone, an iPad and Air Pods. Recently, I switched to Apple Music and Books (although I still have Kindle Unlimited - it has a lot more gay fiction ). Just this week I switched to iCloud email.

As a huge fan of Walt, it’s striking just how many similarities there were in Steve’s rise. And of course it’s fitting Steve ended up the biggest Disney shareholder when he sold Pixar to Bob Iger.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

OMG - an Apple fanboy. @orange87, you just might be… a liberal! They, of course, have a gay CEO….

I seem to be right with you - I’ve been running back behind Steve’s “walled garden” even as the EU is trying to tear it apart.

My first computer was a Mac (I was the envy of my fellow students in 1985). I later had a bright red iMac. I currently have an iPhone, an iPad and Air Pods. Recently, I switched to Apple Music and Books (although I still have Kindle Unlimited - it has a lot more gay fiction ). Just this week I switched to iCloud email.

As a huge fan of Walt, it’s striking just how many similarities there were in Steve’s rise. And of course it’s fitting Steve ended up the biggest Disney shareholder when he sold Pixar to Bob Iger.

I have an iPhone, MacBook, Apple Watch, Airpods and Apple One Family subscription and I also used to have an iPad. lol I even use Safari even though it's atrocious simply because it's made by Apple. lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, orange87 said:

Holy mackerel I'm freakin' cold...

It hasn’t been particularly warm here, either, but back to ‘80’s later this week. Even though the politics in New England are much more sane, I have had to pass up several great jobs over the years because I don’t do cold.

Four years in Nashville taught me that and I never want to be any colder . The best thing about Nashville was that, when it snowed, for the most part people stayed home. 

• Like 1

I am seriously wondering why we have so many folks here h***bent on turning Ivanhoe Village and our other unique intown neighborhoods into poor imitations of Lake Nona. Wouldn’t it just be easier to move with @Urbo to the real deal?                    

Somehow it escapes me but I guess that’s what happens when you’re just a good ol’ boy from the orange groves.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I am seriously wondering why we have so many folks here h***bent on turning Ivanhoe Village and our other unique intown neighborhoods into poor imitations of Lake Nona. Wouldn’t it just be easier to move with @Urbo to the real deal?                    

Somehow it escapes me but I guess that’s what happens when you’re just a good ol’ boy from the orange groves.

What do you mean by poor imitations of Lake Nona? Do you mean make neighborhoods modern, clean, architecturally interesting, innovative?? I don't see how you can overlook the potential in Ivanhoe Village.  Although it's already great, it can be greater. Orlando needs bigger and better neighborhoods, that have a brand and value outside of being just a local intown neighborhood. And Ivanhoe Village is ready to take the next step in its evolution. There is a demand for upscale urban living and its a shame that in Orlando Lake Nona is the top option.

I don't believe people want to see neighborhoods turn into Lake Nona. Instead, people just want more urban options that suite their taste and lifestyle.  So we can either continue to push the urban boundaries and build outside the city center such as what is being done in Lake Nona, or we can redevelop some intown neighborhoods to increase the urban offerings.

Personally, I would rather live in Ivanhoe Village than Lake Nona.  And at some point I will make the transition when there are more options. But Lake Nona is not succeeding by chance or Luck, for the most part they are developing place the right way (specifically in the town center). And whether people want to admit it or not, its by far one of Orlando's biggest success stories.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:56 PM, Urbo said:

What do you mean by poor imitations of Lake Nona? Do you mean make neighborhoods modern, clean, architecturally interesting, innovative?? I don't see how you can overlook the potential in Ivanhoe Village.  Although it's already great, it can be greater. Orlando needs bigger and better neighborhoods, that have a brand and value outside of being just a local intown neighborhood. And Ivanhoe Village is ready to take the next step in its evolution. There is a demand for upscale urban living and its a shame that in Orlando Lake Nona is the top option.

I don't believe people want to see neighborhoods turn into Lake Nona. Instead, people just want more urban options that suite their taste and lifestyle.  So we can either continue to push the urban boundaries and build outside the city center such as what is being done in Lake Nona, or we can redevelop some intown neighborhoods to increase the urban offerings.

Personally, I would rather live in Ivanhoe Village than Lake Nona.  And at some point I will make the transition when there are more options. But Lake Nona is not succeeding by chance or Luck, for the most part they are developing place the right way (specifically in the town center). And whether people want to admit it or not, its by far one of Orlando's biggest success stories.

This.

When you trace the history of old cities, this is just the normal evolution of growth experienced over time as demand increases. In older cities, you'll notice popular suburban nodes developing their own mini-downtowns - even changing zoning to allow for high density development. Orlando is a still relatively young city going through growing pains... the sky is not falling. As the population continues to grow and as millennials & gen Z'ers begin to seek housing, it's only natural for revitalization, change and gentrification to occur.

That said, I don't understand the appeal of Ivanhoe Village... it's College Park lite. Am I missing something? I consider Winter Park to be the true gem of Orange County (not Lake Nona or any place else).

• Like 1

I’m reminded of the decision to move the Grand Ole Opry out to Opryland and the Opryland Hotel in the ‘70’s. Hey, a huge new modern building with acres of free parking. It beat the tumbledown 19th century building downtown the Opry had been making do in for decades.

Well. It didn’t take long to realize something intangible but very special was lost in the move - an important part of the city’s history just gone and why? To line the pockets of the insurance conglomerate that owned it.

Nashville had the good sense to raise the money to restore the Ryman Auditorium and return the Opry to its longtime home for much of the year. That was a big part of Nashville’s arrival as one of the country’s “it” cities.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the Opry’s better than ever while the insurance company was sold and moved to Texas and the Opryland theme park was closed thanks to bean counters at the insurance company (even though it was still profitable ) and replaced with an outlet center. 

Another example is the near death experience that befell one of the most beloved buildings in Midtown Atlanta - the Fox Theater. It was the site of the world premiere of Walt Disney’s “Song of the South” in 1946 (Walt stayed at the nearby Georgian Terrace, another building almost leveled but later restored).

Southern Bell wanted a new headquarters and decided the Fox had to go. Thankfully, the citizens of Atlanta rallied to save it. It turned out moving things around on the site by just a few feet preserved the wonder that is the Fox while the tower went up also. Until the community rallied, the developers simply couldn’t be bothered.

It really gets back to priorities and whether you value your city or don’t care if it’s just a soulless thing no one much cares about.

Ivanhoe Village is a lot less than it was as the real estate industrial complex started tearing down everything interesting about it. The sad part, after they had been doing the same thing to Downtown earlier, is that Ivanhoe was slated to become the funky artsy part of town. That’s rapidly giving way, not even to gentrification, but pure Stepfordism. 

Again, I remind you of the constant churn of these high-rise apartment towers. Sure, the kids right out of college think it’s so cool until they learn the funky bars, stores and eateries that made the ‘hood interesting will just become high-rise suburbanism with no soul. As soon as the lease is over, they move to a place that has some humanity left to it until the profiteers destroy that, too.

You once made the comment that downtown’s McCrory’s and Woolworth weren’t even the best buildings left downtown and why didn’t anyone try to save those other gems. You’re right. We have to start somewhere, though, and acknowledge that making out of town developers richer isn’t worth more than our sense of place.

Greed is not something that makes our citizens their best selves.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:56 PM, Urbo said:

3 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

This.

When you trace the history of old cities, this is just the normal evolution of growth experienced over time as demand increases. In older cities, you'll notice popular suburban nodes developing their own mini-downtowns - even changing zoning to allow for high density development. Orlando is a still relatively young city going through growing pains... the sky is not falling. As the population continues to grow and as millennials & gen Z'ers begin to seek housing, it's only natural for revitalization, change and gentrification to occur.

That said, I don't understand the appeal of Ivanhoe Village... it's College Park lite. Am I missing something? I consider Winter Park to be the true gem of Orange County (not Lake Nona or any place else).

No need to raze Lake Ivanhoe Shores to make Ivanhoe Village the hipster haven you all envision it as.

Plenty of development going on right now with plenty of room for more.

This is one area and one instance where we can have both history and modern growth together.

We already lost the iconic old Fairchild Chapel landmark. 

We don't need to lose another piece of our past. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

No need to raze Lake Ivanhoe Shores to make Ivanhoe Village the hipster haven you all envision it as.

Plenty of development going on right now with plenty of room for more.

This is one area and one instance where we can have both history and modern growth together.

We already lost the iconic old Fairchild Chapel landmark. 

We don't need to lose another piece of our past. 

Its not about a hipster haven. Instead, its about neighborhood development, which never stops for a city. I understand people have their own personal ties to a place, but Lake Ivanhoe Shores isn't some architectural feat, and it doesn't have some deeply rooted history in the culture of Orlando. Its a cool place to live, but The Lake House has the most expensive apartment in the city. The property sold for $132 million . There is obviously a demand in this neighborhood for high-end development. The property owners in Ivanhoe Village benefited, the city has benefited, the people who now have the ability to live in a high end apartment in walking distance to boutique shops, bars, restaurants, etc. benefited. Businesses have benefited. The development of Ivanhoe is not hurting the community. Does it come at the sacrifice of some buildings, and some of the charm yes it does, there is no denying that. But the benefits far out weigh that sacrifice. Would razing the apartments be disappointing for some people sure, but for the other 95% of people that will live and enjoy the neighborhood, they wont ever care nor even remember the apartments. At the micro-scale I can empathize, but at the macro-scale the development happening in Ivanhoe Village is net positive and should be embraced in my opinion.

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m reminded of the decision to move the Grand Ole Opry out to Opryland and the Opryland Hotel in the ‘70’s. Hey, a huge new modern building with acres of free parking. It beat the tumbledown 19th century building downtown the Opry had been making do in for decades.

Well. It didn’t take long to realize something intangible but very special was lost in the move - an important part of the city’s history just gone and why? To line the pockets of the insurance conglomerate that owned it.

Nashville had the good sense to raise the money to restore the Ryman Auditorium and return the Opry to its longtime home for much of the year. That was a big part of Nashville’s arrival as one of the country’s “it” cities.

It’s probably not a coincidence that the Opry’s better than ever while the insurance company was sold and moved to Texas and the Opryland theme park was closed thanks to bean counters at the insurance company (even though it was still profitable ) and replaced with an outlet center. 

Another example is the near death experience that befell one of the most beloved buildings in Midtown Atlanta - the Fox Theater. It was the site of the world premiere of Walt Disney’s “Song of the South” in 1946 (Walt stayed at the nearby Georgian Terrace, another building almost leveled but later restored).

Southern Bell wanted a new headquarters and decided the Fox had to go. Thankfully, the citizens of Atlanta rallied to save it. It turned out moving things around on the site by just a few feet preserved the wonder that is the Fox while the tower went up also. Until the community rallied, the developers simply couldn’t be bothered.

It really gets back to priorities and whether you value your city or don’t care if it’s just a soulless thing no one much cares about.

Ivanhoe Village is a lot less than it was as the real estate industrial complex started tearing down everything interesting about it. The sad part, after they began doing the same thing to Downtown, Ivanhoe was slated to become the funky artsy part of town. That’s rapidly giving way, not even to gentrification, but pure Stepfordism. 

Again, I remind you of the constant churn of these high-rise apartment towers. Sure, the kids right out of college think it’s so cool until they learn the funky bars, stores and eateries that made the ‘hood interesting will just become high-rise suburbanism with no soul. As soon as the lease is over, they move to a place that has some humanity left to it until the profiteers destroy that, too.

You once made the comment that downtown’s McCrory’s and Woolworth weren’t even the best buildings left downtown and why didn’t anyone try to save those other gems. You’re right. We have to start somewhere, though, and acknowledge that making out of town developers richer isn’t worth more than our sense of place.

Greed is not something that makes our citizens their best selves.

Its not about greed, this is America which is a free-market economy. If you were in the business of selling lemonade, and there were a lot of people on your street that wanted lemonade, would you not sell it to them? "The real estate industrial complex" is not the issue. Design standards, city planning and nimbyism are.

7 hours ago, Urbo said:

Its not about a hipster haven. Instead, its about neighborhood development, which never stops for a city. I understand people have their own personal ties to a place, but Lake Ivanhoe Shores isn't some architectural feat, and it doesn't have some deeply rooted history in the culture of Orlando. Its a cool place to live, but The Lake House has the most expensive apartment in the city. The property sold for $132 million . There is obviously a demand in this neighborhood for high-end development. The property owners in Ivanhoe Village benefited, the city has benefited, the people who now have the ability to live in a high end apartment in walking distance to boutique shops, bars, restaurants, etc. benefited. Businesses have benefited. The development of Ivanhoe is not hurting the community. Does it come at the sacrifice of some buildings, and some of the charm yes it does, there is no denying that. But the benefits far out weigh that sacrifice. Would razing the apartments be disappointing for some people sure, but for the other 95% of people that will live and enjoy the neighborhood, they wont ever care nor even remember the apartments. At the micro-scale I can empathize, but at the macro-scale the development happening in Ivanhoe Village is net positive and should be embraced in my opinion.

So, once you sacrifice all that pesky, boring and bothersome old-fashioned charm that's getting in the way of hip, trendy "progress", you've removed one of the main reasons for wanting to live there.

Besides, right now there is still plenty of room for more development without razing Lake Ivanhoe Shores. 

We're probably a good couple of decades away from even approaching the point where that might be seen as a possible necessity.

And it may well happen anyway, no matter what either of us think about it.

I hope not. 

But as I said, I understand that everyone sees things differently. 

7 hours ago, Urbo said:

Its not about greed, this is America which is a free-market economy. If you were in the business of selling lemonade, and there were a lot of people on your street that wanted lemonade, would you not sell it to them? "The real estate industrial complex" is not the issue. Design standards, city planning and nimbyism are.

Pragmatism has its limits. 

One can easily get caught up in it and take it too far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So, once you sacrifice all that pesky, boring and bothersome old-fashioned charm that's getting in the way of hip, trendy "progress", you've removed one of the main reasons for wanting to live there.

Besides, right now there is still plenty of room for more development without razing Lake Ivanhoe Shores. 

We're probably a good couple of decades away from even approaching the point where that might be seen as a possible necessity.

And it may well happen anyway, no matter what either of us think about it.

I hope not. 

But as I said, I understand that everyone sees things differently. 

Pragmatism has its limits. 

One can easily get caught up in it and take it too far. 

No, I would not be moving to Ivanhoe for "the charm" of the neighborhood, its nice that its there but it is not the main reason why I believe people want to live there now. The neighborhood has a very creative vibe, its very walkable and mixed use, its in between two large employment centers of downtown and Health Village. Close to Winter Park, It has green spaces, access to trails, and connectivity to transit, close to cultural destinations like the science center, museum of art, a theater, etc. One of the top schools in Lake Highland Prep, medical facilities, family friendly, Lake and skyline views, unique bars and restaurants close by, cleaner and safer than downtown. None of these things will change if the aesthetic, density and design of the neighborhood evolves.

I'm definitely not saying get rid of the local character. Its not the first neighborhood that has gone through this type of transition. Building new while maintaining local character can be done.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Urbo said:

No, I would not be moving to Ivanhoe for "the charm" of the neighborhood, its nice that its there but it is not the main reason why I believe people want to live there now. The neighborhood has a very creative vibe, its very walkable and mixed use, its in between two large employment centers of downtown and Health Village. Close to Winter Park, It has green spaces, access to trails, and connectivity to transit, close to cultural destinations like the science center, museum of art, a theater, etc. One of the top schools in Lake Highland Prep, medical facilities, family friendly, Lake and skyline views, unique bars and restaurants close by, cleaner and safer than downtown. None of these things will change if the aesthetic, density and design of the neighborhood evolves.

I'm definitely not saying get rid of the local character. Its not the first neighborhood that has gone through this type of transition. Building new while maintaining local character can be done.

And there is plenty of room to build big, shiny new boxes all over that neighborhood without destroying everything that is quaint, funky and charming about it.

Once it becomes nothing but big, cold looking concrete mid-rises packed together, all the charm will be gone. 

But in the end, it will all come down to money and how much profit can be made from the property.

All these other things we're talking about, amount to little more than selling points to the real estate owners and developers.

You'll probably get your wish someday.

I just hope it's after I'm not around to see it.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 12:32 PM, Urbo said:

None of these things will change if the aesthetic, density and design of the neighborhood evolves.

I disagree with you on that.

They will change if the 20-somethings, the artists, and the restaurant and bar staff can't afford to live there or work there.  A healthy neighborhood has a mix of housing types and price points to be somewhere where people can make a life and a living in many different ways.

They will change as development displaces the workers and traffic will get worse and need for parking increase as fewer and fewer can bike/walk/take transit to work.

They will change as development continues to displace artists, removing the character they bring to the community all together. 

They will change if new retail space replaces old. It will continue to drive up he cost of renting, making it more difficult for independent businesses (i.e. the ones that bring the character) to be profitable. Particularly as there are larger spaces built and under management of large real estate companies, local leasing will go down and chain leasing will increase. And that rent money will leave town to go to investors instead of local ownership.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, smileguy said:

I disagree with you on that.

They will change if the 20-somethings, the artists, and the restaurant and bar staff can't afford to live there or work there.  A healthy neighborhood has a mix of housing types and price points to be somewhere where people can make a life and a living in many different ways.

They will change as development displaces the workers and traffic will get worse and need for parking increase as fewer and fewer can bike/walk/take transit to work.

They will change as development continues to displace artists, removing the character they bring to the community all together. 

They will change if new retail space replaces old. It will continue to drive up he cost of renting, making it more difficult for independent businesses (i.e. the ones that bring the character) to be profitable. Particularly as there are larger spaces built and under management of large real estate companies, local leasing will go down and chain leasing will increase. And that rent money will leave town to go to investors instead of local ownership.

What about Brickell, and Coconut Grove in Miami? What about Tribeca, and SoHo, in New York? Kalamora and Georgetown in D.C.? Are these not healthy neighborhoods? Lack of affordability doesn't make a place less healthy, discouraging development doesn't make a place more affordable. Neighborhoods are unique and evolve like it or not, its just the life and reality of cities. Neighborhoods that were once low cost, funky and quirky can become expensive, trendy and vibrant at no overall detriment of a city.  People migrate, generations change and have different desires, society evolves and cities adapt, whats the issue as long as there is a net positive?

What is now a small artsy community in Ivanhoe village will later become a bustling creative cluster, the creative vibe will not change and it will only attract more creative people and companies to set up shop. Some artist will move on, and others will stay and rise with the neighborhood. Some shops will close down for others to open, and some will stick around its just life. SoHo was once home to up and coming artist, and now its home to the top artist around the world, the creative vibe hasn't changed. The urban fabric is in place in Ivanhoe village, with the type of development I'm advocating for it will remain walkable and that won't change. Downtown and Health Village will continue to add jobs no matter what gets built in Ivanhoe, that wont change. Lake Highland prep  will continue to be successful as the neighborhood grows, that won't change. Winter Park is not going anywhere not matter how many Yuppies move to Ivanhoe, that won't change. The lakes and greenspaces will stay, more people living closer to Loch Haven means more visitors to the museum. Ivanhoe developing into a modern, higher end neighborhood won't change most of the fundamentals that make this a great neighborhood. The "charm" many of you are speaking about is simply nostalgia and personal sentiments about the neighborhood. Which is understand and empathize with, but those feelings shouldn't stop progressing this great neighborhood to being even greater.

To celebrate my return to The City Beautiful, I bought a new candle at Nordstrom. 

I don’t know if purchases of candles skew to one gender or another, but they often tend toward fragrances which are floral, sweet or both.

Well, my new one, which I haven’t yet lit, is at the far end of the spectrum from that. It’s definitely what I hoped for.

Now, to give @JFW657 a chance to throw a zinger, I’m sure he’ll be pleased to know the brand is “Boy Smells”. How’s that for sending one right across the plate?

Edited by spenser1058

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

To celebrate my return to The City Beautiful, I bought a new candle at Nordstrom. 

I don’t know if candle purchases of candles skew to one gender or another, but they often tend toward fragrances which are floral, sweet or both.

Well, my new one, which I haven’t yet lit, is at the far end of the spectrum from that. It’s definitely what I hoped for.

Now, to give @JFW657 a chance to throw a zinger, I’m sure he’ll be pleased to know the brand is “Boy Smells”. How’s that for sending one right across the plate?

I have a bizarre and local connection to candles from the 90s when Old Town was still the height of class and we could get our candles made in front of us. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I have a bizarre and local connection to candles from the 90s when Old Town was still the height of class and we could get our candles made in front of us. 

There’s a mom and pop candle store at TPC I keep meaning to check out, but I tend to forget it’s there.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I don’t know if purchases of candles skew to one gender or another, but they often tend toward fragrances which are floral, sweet or both.

What kind of zinger are you expecting?  

I've got some Dolly Madisons, but I'm saving them for a snack later, so I won't be throwing them anywhere.  

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

There was a candle store in the Church Street Exchange, also during the 90's, where you could do that.  

• Like 1