Just Wow

spenser1058

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

What kind of zinger are you expecting?  

I've got some Dolly Madisons, but I'm saving them for a snack later, so I won't be throwing them anywhere.  

There was a candle store in the Church Street Exchange, also during the 90's, where you could do that.  

I’m still partial to Little Debbies from bustling Collegedale, Tennessee. Mmmmm, them  oatmeal crème pies.

Well, a bit of a bad day for @AndyPok1 today so we’ll just say Coach Harbaugh made it off the hot seat this afternoon.

The other interesting thing this weekend was that the Cows fired their defensive coordinator and the defense played better than it has all year without one! Only in beautiful Temple Terrace…

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Hopefully this story will knock the Biden/DeBary Diner story out of the top Google search result for "DeBary." :tw_joy:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My car wouldn’t start and the only Ford dealer that had an appointment available was Greenway. I headed on out this morning and the place is a campus of car dealerships. The thing that made me all warm and fuzzy though is they kept all the TREES! Instead of the endless vista of asphalt that an auto mall along a major highway usually is, it was like a freaking park.  Who knew?!? It turned out their service department is good too. Color me impressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

Urban Meyer? I don't know anything about the Jaguars situation, other than that they're a pitiful franchise. Was it really Urban Meyer's fault?

Urban spent the entire 11 months making it worse. From almost Day 1, it’s been self-inflicted drama by a man who refused to realize that the NFL is different than college.

It’s helpful not to try and hire a strength coach who was fired just days before for major racial and bullying issues (of course, Urban wouldn’t care about that  because he’s a first-class bully himself).

Then there’s getting caught groping a woman not his wife on videos at his own restaurant after not flying back with his team because “he wanted to visit his grandkids”. (In the NFL, the coach just about always flies back with the team but especially when the coach is preaching about team culture and unity).

There’s a lot more you can google. The bottom line is, he got away with this stuff for years in college by intimidating young players and, because his fans covered up for him as long as he was winning. Take away the wins and the fact you can’t control men in an NFL locker room like a bunch of college kids and his lies caught up with him quickly.

Some of us had no use for Urban years ago  because we believed you can play clean and still be successful (compare two other national championship winners in the state, St. Bobby and Spurrier with Urban - it ain’t pretty). However, too many Americans today are willing to accept anything as long as their team wins. It’s the same sickness that’s destroying our politics.

As I’ve said before, I have to thank Urban because when that mentality took over the Gators, I switched my allegiance to the Knights and I’ve never regretted it.

Edited by spenser1058

53 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Urban spent the entire 11 months making it worse. From almost Day 1, it’s been self-inflicted drama by a man who refused to realize that the NFL is different than college.

It’s helpful not to try and hire a strength coach who was fired just days before for major racial and bullying issues (of course, Urban wouldn’t care about that  because he’s a first-class bully himself).

Then there’s getting caught groping a woman not his wife on videos at his own restaurant after not flying back with his team because “he wanted to visit his grandkids”. (In the NFL, the coach just about always flies back with the team but especially when the coach is preaching about team culture and unity).

There’s a lot more you can google. The bottom line is, he got away with this stuff for years in college by intimidating young players and, because his fans covered up for him as long as he was winning. Take away the wins and the fact you can’t control men in an NFL locker room like a bunch of college kids and his lies caught up with him quickly.

Some of us had no use for Urban years ago  because we believed you can play clean and still be successful (compare two other national championship winners in the state, St. Bobby and Spurrier with Urban - it ain’t pretty). However, too many Americans today are willing to accept anything as long as their team wins. It’s the same sickness that’s destroying our politics.

As I’ve said before, I have to thank Urban because when that mentality took over the Gators, I switched my allegiance to the Knights and I’ve never regretted it.

I think Byron Leftwich is the logical choice to replace Urban Meyer.

1 minute ago, orange87 said:

It will be interesting to see because you’re right, the Jags have been a doomed franchise for a long time.

It’s been noted that the Jags all but destroyed a good QB in Blake Bortles because they never provided the development and supporting cast a rookie needs to excel. Of course, the legion of UCF haters just said he was overrated to begin with (although he had just won the Fiesta Bowl with the Knights).

Well. Here we have Trevor Lawrence going into the same spiral after leading Clemson the last few years. 

It starts to look more like the team than the player, doesn’t it?

Finally, going back to Urban Fired, Bianchi looks at the record of bullying going back to 1990 at Colorado State:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-urban-meyer-jaguars-fired-mike-bianchi-column-20211216-aqsztfyeynfr5nmwf64q5jgomq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

The Hobby Lobby, one of the most right-wing companies in the country (they make the Publix folks in Lakeland look like members of The Squad) will raise their minimum wage for full time employees to $18.50/hour.

May God Bless Them, Every One!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-hobby-lobby-raising-minimum-full-time-wage-to-1850-20211216-jdewlgqkz5covejaffoavjaigq-story.html

From The Sentinel 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I agree, but I'm not sure they can get him. This organization needs to make some serious amends to move forward. But let's remember how seriously bad the Bucs were for a long time- they seem to be doing ok.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s been noted that the Jags all but destroyed a good QB in Blake Bortles because they never provided the development and supporting cast a rookie needs to excel. Of course, the legion of UCF haters just said he was overrated to begin with (although he had just won the Fiesta Bowl with the Knights).

I am far from a UCF hater- they get money from me every year. But Bortles- who I'm sure is a very nice guy-  was not a very good pro QB. He lucked out to be in Jax that had the best defense in the league. I really don't think any club would have developed him much further- and I say this from the position of being a fan of his.

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Finally, going back to Urban Fired, Bianchi looks at the record of bullying going back to 1990 at Colorado State:

I'm not much of a Bianchi fan, but I try to force myself to read him. I don't recall him bringing all of these issues to light over the years. I don' think he deserves the credit he is seeking for being an Urban hater.

Since White Castle keeps talking about finding ways to expand in Florida, it seems the simplest way would be to just to take over the remaining Krystals, which have fallen on hard times the last few decades.

It does, of course, point up something I’ve long believed, which is that family-controlled businesses are infinitely preferable to those that are generally destroyed by private equity firms.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-record-white-castle-20211221-wy3gdvynrzd3rfgohaqimtjrpu-story.html

From The Sentinel