Just Wow

spenser1058

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was thinking about St. Regis today and how interesting it is that many organizations in Jacksonville would be tripping over themselves to restore them while here in Orlando everyone seems to be chomping at the bit to tear them down. 

It is part of the cycle. Orlando is a lot further ahead in urban redevelopment. Usually, the old buildings get spruced up to prove out the market. Then, underutilized building and vacant/parking lots get the new shiny towers. 

Does anyone know what the interiors look like? It could be nicer than what is assumed. 

Bringing back the Central Florida Y from the pandemic - it was a tough row to hoe but now things are moving forward toward the great new addition in the Packing District (opening later this year):

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/jobs-economy/os-ne-central-florida-ymca-hit-hard-by-covid-pandemic-new-ceo-reveal-20220318-hqib2o6h5fhajofgc3drclxmce-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

Even the crowd in the Sentinel’s “Ticked Off” column understand that when you go gold mining with FDOT, they (and the billionaires and politicians complicit in what it’s become over the last 42 years) get the gold and we get the shaft:

“I’m ticked off at the Florida Department of Transportation and the I-4 contractor. From the outset of the I-4 Ultimate project more than six years ago, we were promised that the pedestrian bridge over I-4 in Maitland would be a visual highlight. It was to be a soaring, arching, suspension bridge serving as a northern landmark on the project. But due to cost overruns and compromises, we get a utilitarian steel and chain link cage. So much for aesthetics.”

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Houston’s men and UCF’s women are moving along to the next round - maybe UConn should have stuck with the AAC..

I guess we’ll find out after the WBB game between the Huskies and the Knights!

Let's make a little friendly wager. If the UCF women's basketball team loses to UConn, you have to change your avatar to a picture of Donald Trump for 24 hours. If UConn loses, I have  to change my avatar to a picture of RuPaul in drag for 24 hours. Deal? 

Edited by orange87
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, orange87 said:

Let's make a little friendly wager. If the UCF women's basketball team loses to UConn, you have to change your avatar to a picture of Donald Trump for 24 hours. If UConn loses, I have to have to change my avatar to a picture of RuPaul in drag for 24 hours. Deal? 

I would be happy to take that bet but my incompetent iPhone self fears I could never change it back to my beloved Ronnie’s (that’s happened to me before). FWIW, I assume the Huskies have much more experience than the Knights, so my guess is y’all will win and make life in Storrs tolerable again. If UCF loses, will your wife still talk to you? I seem to recall she’s Charged On! with us…

Meanwhile, as Aaaaahnold  would say (when he’s not giving incredible speeches to the Russians), WE’LL BE BACK.

Edited by spenser1058

I hope I’m wrong but it looks like the latest noncreative village is on the way to Church St.:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/-and-theater/os-et-haos-on-church-blue-star-fringe-festival-20220325-tli2oiey4nbobnnjnob5lkesaq-story.html

Why do people in suits insist on how creative they are when clearly they’re anything but? Creative people don’t claim to be great accountants. It’s like if Walt and Roy switched jobs…

An Ocala hemp company has signed with NASCAR to sell its non-tobacco based snuff products at several tracks including DIS.

What’s next - the Maui Wowie Cup series?!?

In all seriousness, though, it does appear as though this latest attempt to diversify the sport’s fan base and find a younger audience is succeeding. This is despite the efforts of a retrograde bubba caucus to lock it in the 1950’s. Fortunately, the money is talking and the era of Confederate flags on race day may be blessedly over.

Perhaps even more importantly than its effect on NASCAR is how the branding of Daytona Beach is being restored. Last fall’s Truck Meet notwithstanding, it appears the beachside is attracting new visitors. Let’s hope both efforts continue.

Being totally incompetent when it comes to online devices, I am jumping for joy here that I just got everything moved from my old phone to my new one.

Yes, I know it’s incredibly simple and you may all laugh at me, but why do you think I am totally a slave to Apple (an out and proud CEO just seals the deal).

I’m content now that my 5G just activated…

Here’s just one example of the damage being inflicted by the GOP’s culture wars (this case is in Texas):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/03/01/texas-ken-paxton-greg-abbott-misinformation-transgender-medical-care/

From The Washington Post

But, just like their hero Putin, “ hey what’s a little collateral damage?”

So close, @orange87 , so close. How ‘bout them ‘Cocks!?! My, that sounds odd for a women’s team, doesn’t it?

UCF has so much work to do on the men’s side to be competitive in the Big XII. Coach D’s been working for years now without resources and, with football the priority, I have no clue how we’re gonna improve.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Interesting that Bungalower is reporting that Barbarella’s on its way to an industrial park off JYP.

Talk about Back to the Future- it reminds me of the JJ Whispers days and all the clubs that passed through the Orange Blossom Playhouse.

Not that I’m complaining if we’re going to find some other uses for the historic core.

Although the column is somewhat satirical, the numbers are still surprising, even to me after I researched the odds of Pat Williams’ Dreamers ever seeing the light of day. It turns out someone of Pat’s demographic is about the only cohort nationwide that is watching baseball these days. (That’s the same group who make up FOX News’ audience- maybe the best spot for an MLB team in Florida is The Villages…)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/06/opinion/baseball-nationalize.html?referringSource=articleShare

From The New York Times 

Orlando’s embrace of soccer seems to have been the right move. Let’s be clear, the NFL is king, but unless the Bucs decide to leave Tampa, there’s no pro football team in our future. Thankfully, college football is doing well and UCF is making the investments for it to be successful here. Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

Efteling, a Dutch theme park, has announced its first resort. Normally, that wouldn’t be worth posting, but I noted they are letting the copper roof oxidize naturally and it will thus be a pale green after a few years. That’s what’s supposed to happen.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/202204/8881/

From Theme Park Insider

Unfortunately, here in Orlando, no one got the memo. In one of his few vision missteps, Mayor Bill decided to seal City Hall’s rotunda so that it would remain the color it was on the day it opened in 1992.

To say it ain’t aging gracefully is putting it mildly. It looks like MTM’s 40-something Ted Baxter did on the episode where his hair went from a distinguished gray to a jarring jet black using a cheap hair color like Grecian.

Here we are 30 years later and we’re holding on to a fashion faux pas. I know it’s silly to ask given how Buddy’s wardrobe (not to mention the facial hair on his chubby face) has gone to h**l ever since the divorce, but this is a chance for hizzoner to do the right thing without much cost. C’mon, Buddy, do us proud!

Edited by spenser1058