Just Wow

spenser1058

@jrs2, it’s a sad day in Chicago as Boeing announced its headquarters will relocate from the Windy City to NoVa:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/05/05/boeing-headquarters-chicago-arlington/

From The Washington Post 

So far, Mickey D’s is still safe!

Edited by spenser1058

Rick Cole, the new executive director for the Congress For the New Urbanism, takes a tour of Winter Park and Baldwin Park and discusses their walkability:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/os-bz-city-planning-walk-tour-winter-park-20220506-ybmjt4m3rfhvzkp3xhpqpfn3dm-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Unsurprisingly, he found both good and bad examples in both.

Edited by spenser1058

Things to ponder on a sunny Sunday afternoon:

If Jim Davis had continued to be the popular spokesman for “The Beef People” on TV instead of quitting to become Jock Ewing on “Dallas”, would Winn-Dixie have avoided its demise?

Heaven knows, Burt Wolf, who came after, just didn’t cut it with a manly brand like W-D. (And yes, there are discussions like that in branding - Ford, for example, was considered more of a “guy” brand, while the Mercury division was considered the opposite).

Enquiring minds want to know…

I’ve just downloaded Francis Fukayama’s new “Liberalism and Its Discontents” on my Kindle and shall set aside my thoughts on Buddy for a bit. Accordingly, all of you who revel in  how he is Practically Perfect In Every Way may celebrate Hizzoner without interruption. Since apparently you’ll have four more years to fawn over him, life should be lovely for you (see below).

Meanwhile, I’ll make like @orange87’s compatriots up in Connecticut and devote myself to a brief, somewhat rigorous if middle-brow study of where we might be headed in the next decade or so.

See y’all in a couple of days!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-buddy-dyer-run-again-20220510-qsuv7ubobnhbdginpg57xwvppe-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

“less Houston, more Paris.” was the plan when Miami moved away from parking requirements for smaller housing projects. Unfortunately they have voted to move away from that and " will likely mark the end of Miami’s boomlet of “missing middle” housing—the small buildings on small lots by small developers that have begun to densify and enliven the city’s core neighborhoods—and provide a cheaper alternative to most new construction."

A really good example- architect Ivo Fernandez, Jr. said he was designing a project with 17 units on a 5,000 square foot lot. “If you remove the code, that lot will only accommodate six units with parking,” he said. “I can tell you that none of our tenants or clients are asking for more parking,” said the contractor Andrew Lenehan. “They’re asking for more efficient buildings close to the urban core where they work, dine, and go to school"

In the end, it comes down to power/ money/ influence, "Under the new system, any builder seeking to construct less parking must come before the city commission and plead their case. That gives the city commission new power, and creates an incentive for developers to make the right donations to grease the wheels of zoning exemptions.

https://slate.com/business/2022/05/miami-parking-developers-housing.html

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’ve just downloaded Francis Fukayama’s new “Liberalism and Its Discontents” on my Kindle and shall set aside my thoughts on Buddy for a bit. Accordingly, all of you who revel in  how he is Practically Perfect In Every Way may celebrate Hizzoner without interruption. Since apparently you’ll have four more years to fawn over him, life should be lovely for you (see below).

Meanwhile, I’ll make like @orange87’s compatriots up in Connecticut and devote myself to a brief, somewhat rigorous if middle-brow study of where we might be headed in the next decade or so.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-orlando-buddy-dyer-run-again-20220510-qsuv7ubobnhbdginpg57xwvppe-story.html

From The Sentinel 

Nobody here fawns over Buddy Dyer.

Defending someone over obsessive, baseless exaggerations and personal attacks ≠ fawning over. 

17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

From The Sentinel 

Its always good to read up on intellectuals you are not ideological similar too. It broadens the mind. His "End of History" book was also a must read for poli sci nerds. 

Now, I am not sure anyone thinks our Mayor is infallible. I think our disagreement stems what we think the role of government is. 

14 hours ago, AmIReal said:

“less Houston, more Paris.” was the plan when Miami moved away from parking requirements for smaller housing projects. Unfortunately they have voted to move away from that and " will likely mark the end of Miami’s boomlet of “missing middle” housing—the small buildings on small lots by small developers that have begun to densify and enliven the city’s core neighborhoods—and provide a cheaper alternative to most new construction."

A really good example- architect Ivo Fernandez, Jr. said he was designing a project with 17 units on a 5,000 square foot lot. “If you remove the code, that lot will only accommodate six units with parking,” he said. “I can tell you that none of our tenants or clients are asking for more parking,” said the contractor Andrew Lenehan. “They’re asking for more efficient buildings close to the urban core where they work, dine, and go to school"

In the end, it comes down to power/ money/ influence, "Under the new system, any builder seeking to construct less parking must come before the city commission and plead their case. That gives the city commission new power, and creates an incentive for developers to make the right donations to grease the wheels of zoning exemptions.

https://slate.com/business/2022/05/miami-parking-developers-housing.html

This is really tragic. I meant to post this last week but never got around to it. It shows the power of entrenched homeowners that can decide the fate of the city. Of  course some of the units bought or rented would have a resident that still had a car. And that person would park on a public street. However, homeowners do not own the right of way like they think they do. 

It’s always fun to see the variation in how the UCF Fan Forum, where, of course, actually winning is considered important for some reason, view the Magic as opposed to  the Amen Corner here at UP Orlando.

A post, just tonight, about the Jags:

”Because the Jaguars are ****ing retards!

Hasn't that been made clear enough over the past 10+ years (see their last coaching hire as evidence).

They're just a few steps back from the Magic as being the worst run franchise of the 21st century.”

Vive la difference!

Edited by spenser1058

Interesting things happening right now in the economy. 

One thing that is under the radar right now, but should be paid attention to is the "Crypto-Bust" going on right now. BTC just dropped below $30k, and Tether de-pegged.  

Now, why does this matter? Well, apparently, Miami went "all in" on Crypto and trying to get these companies and creators to move there. Apparently, there were "financial institutions" backing loans and construction projects in South Florida with this idea.  Now, how much of that is there? Who knows, but it only takes a couple of dominoes to start the chain. Inflation is one. Rising interest rates and lack of capital availability is two. Crypto is three.  Stock market and "wealth effect" is four. . . 

Hmmm. 

Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Interesting things happening right now in the economy. 

One thing that is under the radar right now, but should be paid attention to is the "Crypto-Bust" going on right now. BTC just dropped below $30k, and Tether de-pegged.  

Now, why does this matter? Well, apparently, Miami went "all in" on Crypto and trying to get these companies and creators to move there. Apparently, there were "financial institutions" backing loans and construction projects in South Florida with this idea.  Now, how much of that is there? Who knows, but it only takes a couple of dominoes to start the chain. Inflation is one. Rising interest rates and lack of capital availability is two. Crypto is three.  Stock market and "wealth effect" is four. . . 

Hmmm. 

Tick-tock, Tick-tock, Tick-tock. 

And we wonder why all the wackos are in South Florida. Well, if Henry Flagler and Carl Fisher could meet their demise down there, I suppose the current crop’s in good company. It always makes me wonder why so many are intent on making Orlando the next Miami.

On 5/11/2022 at 11:05 AM, jack said:

This is really tragic. I meant to post this last week but never got around to it. It shows the power of entrenched homeowners that can decide the fate of the city. Of  course some of the units bought or rented would have a resident that still had a car. And that person would park on a public street. However, homeowners do not own the right of way like they think they do. 

https://apple.news/Awn_XbtCDRnqHEnU07bwsMQ

@prahaboheme, you’ll have to hurry back to Cali - the Red Cars are returning to DCA.

Beware of Judge Doom, though!

Fun Fact for our UP’ers: Did you know “Who Framed Roger Rabbit?” was based on a true story?

I consider it a high point of the Eisner era at Disney (and he never was a favorite of mine, although he did have creative instincts Bob Chapek is sorely lacking).

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Tacko would be a real plus at a Magic game - he could keep people from seeing how awful they play! *runs*

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/beloved-7-6-center-tacko-fall-sits-courtside-at-celtics-game-causing-massive-problems-for-fans-behind-him/

From CBS Sports

Speaking of The Magic, Bianchi and Marc Daniels discussed today on “The Beat of Sports” why The Heat never had to rebuild while that’s all they seem to do in Orlando:

https://969thegame.iheart.com/content/2022-05-13-the-bridge-how-come-the-heat-never-had-to-rebuild/

From FM 96.9 The Game